Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 237606

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #720 on: July 15, 2016, 06:21:37 AM
It is hard to get the ball on the bottom and on each side under the brace. I found a mechanics tool called a claw grabber worked unbelievable (i kept dropping the ball with chopsticks). Luckily at a bottlehead amp building class I was given a tool set that had this device in there. Its been unused for a decade or so but boy did I find its usefulness! You can actually grab the balls tightly. Push them tight to the surface and it releases easily without disturbing the ball. I always added the drop of superglue with the silicone too - it seemed to speed up the set time.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #721 on: July 15, 2016, 09:26:42 AM
Taran, I've since edited the manual to recommend the use of one of those grabber tools, which are actually quite cheap as you don't need a long one, and I've also switched to quick set silicone that I include.  The use of superglue and silicone is fine too to speed the dry time. 

Offline BNAL

Reply #722 on: July 15, 2016, 12:41:56 PM
I have my DoF kit coming, so can someone post a link to where I can purchase the grabber tool?

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline butchbass

Reply #723 on: July 15, 2016, 03:06:44 PM
Home Depot has one on their website for $8.97.

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #724 on: July 15, 2016, 04:07:24 PM
Just google mechanics claw tool

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Mordicai

Reply #725 on: July 16, 2016, 06:29:43 PM
I use the Crescent Model # PSX200C long needle nose pliers from Home Depot. Fabulous control.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 06:43:51 PM by Mordicai »

Offline Mordicai

Reply #726 on: July 16, 2016, 06:43:04 PM
One of my Hammerhead posts broke today, so I replaced it with the original metal posts. To my ears the Orca's high frequencies seem more extended.  Also replaced the Radio Shack 16 ga subwoofer wires with Belken 1694A. Again, to my ears...big improvement to the Dungeness.  I've long ago given up trying to figure out whats fact and whats a sever case of audio fantasy.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 06:07:31 AM by Mordicai »

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #727 on: July 18, 2016, 03:01:32 PM
I'm glad Clark has a helpful guide for those installing the upgrade!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #728 on: August 05, 2016, 12:38:26 PM
Changing the subject a bit...

If there's anybody out there  who had the older bamboo Orcas with the  1/2" walls and then got a pair of the 3/4" birch Orca DeLuxes, can you tell me what kind of sonic differences you heard, if any, and if you installed the DOF in either or both pairs, what those differencees were like?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #729 on: August 26, 2016, 02:10:05 PM
Ok, that last one went nowhere, so let's try something else...

Has anybody out there bought and is using the Baby Bentic sub?

I just bought a pair of these to finish my system. I love the Orcas as they are for a lot of music, but there is still a lot of music that really needs that low frequency foundation to sound it's best.

So, checking for any early user feedback on the Baby Benthics.

Thanks,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #730 on: September 06, 2016, 09:23:23 AM
Ok, again, got nowhere with that last one either. Though I see that the "Baby" benthics are still not listed on the blumenstein site. Well, I think/hope that these will be the answer for extending the bottom end for those of us with small spaces, who live in apartments/condos, etc. who want to fill in the lower frequencies without annoying the neighbors and without spending for a pair of Benthics and amps for them. No, not shilling here as I'm waiting for my pair to arrive, but I am seriously hoping that these will be the last finishing touch to my system (which is sounding absolutely awesome nnow.)

I'm working on the DOF kits for the Orca DeLuxes and the Dungeness Maxs, but will then do the bamboo Orcas which I have in the system, and which sound so amazingly good that I am extremely reluctant to change -- other than the DOF upgrades.)

I'm sure that once the Baby Benthics show up on the Blumenstein site, more of you will be wanting them. I know that I'm truly looking forward to my pair.

-- Jim

Offline BNAL

Reply #731 on: September 07, 2016, 04:17:55 AM
Jim,

I'm interested in your opinion of the new Baby Benthic subs. I'm running my Orcas with a Yamaha sub right now and it sounds good, but I know that I can do better. I'm limited by the WAF requirements, so  I need to find something that fits into the room.

I purchased the DOF kit, but have not installed it yet. I just need to find the time and take to do it, because it looks like it with take some time to get it done.

I purchase the IsoAcoustics stands on sale, and I must say that I'm very pleased with the improvement in imaging, separation of individuals and instruments, and the added air. Because of this I'm not in a rush to install the DOF kit, I think the stands made that much of an improvement. My wife is not a fan of the look, but I don't think they look bad. She must love me, because I'm able to keep them.

Brad Nalitt
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #732 on: September 07, 2016, 04:35:40 AM
Hey Brad,

If I were you, I'd still take the time to install the DOF kit -- it really addresses some other issues aside from what you mention the stands do. I can't speak from experience yet, but after several chats with Clark, I believe it's a no-brainer. The hardest part is removing the  old  binding posts, and if you have the right tools, it isn't that bad. I've just had too much on my plate and was in the hospital again last week, but installing the squishy balls, the new binding posts, and the driver should be no big deal -- just have to take your time and be careful with the driver installation -- think of torquing down the driver as if it were a cylinder head -- follow a blanced sequence and only a tiny bit at a time, and use a feeler gauge to know when it is evenly tightened down. I have a very low torque wrench that goes  down to  inch-ounces, and I'll probably use that when the time comes.

I think the Babys are the same basic size as the Orca, just an inch or so wider, so same basic WAF, and can easily sit on a small platform near the Orca stand.

I can't say much more than that as I don't have mine yet, but after talking with Clark, it was clear that these are exactly what I need to finish my system. I believe they are 4 ohms, so you'll either need two plate amps in boxes, or if you want to run mono, an amp that can handle a 2-ohm load if you want to run them in parallel, which is my personal preference, though I'll be running these stereo with one amp per side.

Take care, and good to hear from you again,

Jim

Offline BNAL

Reply #733 on: September 07, 2016, 06:40:46 AM
Jim,

I plan on doing the DOF install, it is just a matter of finding the time, with projects around the house and going away with the family. It does not look like I will be able to get to it for a little while, as my Eros is on the way and I want to get my vinyl back online. Hopefully my wife will not have anymore painting projects for me in the near future, so I can catch up and get the speakers done and hear how they sound. Based on the feedback it should be really nice upgrade.

Brad

Brad Nalitt
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono

Offline denti alligator

Reply #734 on: October 14, 2016, 04:24:52 PM
I'm considering replacing my Klipsch Forte IIs with Orcase, mainly because of space. To be able to put the speakers on a wall where I will have built-in bookcases will make a huge difference in my living room's layout.

I'm worried that the Orcas, however, will not offer the same volume as the Klipsch. I'm using a Stereomour II. Currently I can turn LPs all the way up and will want more. Will the Orcas be quieter?

Obviously bass won't be the same. Ideally I would add a Benthic Bass Unit, though I can't afford that. Indeed, I would need to sell my Klipsch to afford the Orcas. But I figure I could always add the Benthic.

Thoughts? The room is fiarly big (tall ceilings) and open.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable