Where I can buy some of the Russian Teflon caps (KK) for my Seduction?

Pfenning · 9582

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Is Ebay the only source for these? I have some Vitamin Q caps I got from Bottlehead years ago. Is the general opinion that the Russian Teflon's are favorable to the vintage Vitamin Q's? I plan to build Grainger's burn in kit this weekend and start the burn in process on the Vitamin Q's. I'm installing C4S right now, and plan to listen to it for a while, so I'll have time to get them run in.

Thanks, Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline berniebanks

I bought my KK's from ebay they were shipped our real quick only took a couple of weeks for me to get them.

Bernard Banks

Offline Grainger49

In eBay you search for "capacitor teflon" but no more.  The values can be stated as 0.1uF or 0,1uF.  So if you search for one you miss the other.

I've bought from several of the sellers.  They come in 10 days to two weeks.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Should I swap out all the capacitors for teflon's except the power supply capacitors? Are there other parts upgrades in Seduction that I should be considering? I got lucky on the tube lottery when I purchased it (yes it's one of the first runs of Seductions) and got Amprex bugle boy gold pin tubes. I haven't done any tube rolling. Any suggestions for other tubes to try?

Thanks, Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline berniebanks

I started a thread here http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2403.0.html a while back which asked pretty much the same questions.

Bernard Banks

Offline Grainger49

Bernie,

Spot on!

Pfenning,

If you bought from the first run you probably need to change the tubes.  I did too and I have changed them out 6 times or more.  

BTW, I just bought a pair of 0.47uF@200V from Alexer1.  I have bought from him a half dozen times, both tubes and capacitors.

Since the pictures in the other thread are now gone here is one.  The HUGE ones in front are 0.47uF@200V:

(http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg7/Grainger49/For%20Posts%20Private/IMG_0682A.jpg?t=1326899716)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:16:53 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Do you think my tubes are worn out? My system was packed away for several years, so they haven't seen thousands of hours of use. I have an old tube tester, I should dig it out and test them. Sorry for doubling up on the topic Bernie had. I read through all the pages and didn't see it.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
I'll post some notes on cap changes and tube lifetime in the Seduction section.

Paul Joppa

Offline ironbut

You guys ever see voltage rating for the .47uF teflons higher than 200v?
I have tons of .22 that go all the way up to 1kv but not the .47 ?

steve koto

Offline Grainger49

The highest value I have seen is a 0.22uF at 600V.  There are reports of a 1.0uF at a 500V and a 4.7 at 125V but these are as scarce as hen's teeth.  

There are 0.47uF at 200V and 0.22uF at 1000V (not often seen), 600V and 200V (often found) available.

Offline sl-15

i am currently looking into a cap upgrade for my seduction. after some reading and research i can not believe how cheap these russian caps are on ebay. are they really any good you wonder. i am torn between russian paper in oil or teflon's for the output caps. what does KK stand for btw? any insight on PIO versus Teflon? thanks!

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Grainger49

The way I figure it the USSR Military didn't pay any royalties to DuPont for using Teflon.  The AuriCap Teflon and V-Cap Teflon caps sound better but the USSR surplus Teflon are the great bang for the buck caps out there.  The drawback is that they don't come in large values or very high voltages.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
The way I figure it the USSR Military didn't pay any royalties to DuPont for using Teflon. 

How do you know they didn't buy it from Dupont? The titanium used in the SR-71 was bought from the USSR.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

I don't, but they are so cheap. 

Offline sl-15

anybody can shine some light on what KK stands for? thanks.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa