Current status

Doc B. · 19873

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: October 02, 2012, 01:22:03 PM
We have worked out a few more details and we hope to have the functional prototype under construction by week's end. As soon as I can put up a photo I will set up a page to take preorders. Preorders will receive a free power cord kit as a bonus.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:55:36 PM
Great news Dan!  Congrats team!

Aaron Johnson

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:00:36 PM
Very cool! Can't wait to see it!

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 04:09:53 PM
Not only is the progress good news but it's great to see the new preamp with its own forum!  Question: Is BeePre the official model name?  If so, I like it, nice and simple.  Also appropriate for obvious reasons. 

Gerry 

Offline xcortes

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 03:28:56 AM
I've been following the development of this project very closely since the beginning. The concept is amazing: single stage, DHT, SR, no feedback, no cathode followers, no transformers. And I can assure you that the amount of R&D put into this product is impressive.

Right now my audio/music funds are absolutely zero. I'll consider this an exercise to better my patience and to become a saint through abstinence but I'm not buying it now. You have my firm order for March/April though!

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 03:44:32 AM
Xavier - bro, you know there is one with your name on it at any time. Right now you still need to break in those 437As.

Gerry, yeah, BeePre the name kinda resonates for me. Better than ForeplayIV, which seems like a bit of a mouthful and a bit misleading. Foreplay was so different than this design that in my mind they need different names altogether.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline E.T.

Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 08:29:10 AM
Hi Doc, have you guys ever thought of an all-DHT version of the Crack?

Offline John Roman

Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 11:58:46 AM
Is there a line forming for the "Bee Pre" yet?
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline AudioDave

Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 03:18:40 PM
I will be in line!
Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 06:37:28 PM
Hi Doc, have you guys ever thought of an all-DHT version of the Crack?

This would need four separate filament supplies, or some negative rails for fixed bias (which would then remove the direct coupling), and then there's the issue of available DHT's that have sufficient transconductance for the job, which is difficult.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 05:10:51 AM
BeePre the name kinda resonates for me. Better than ForeplayIV, which seems like a bit of a mouthful and a bit misleading. Foreplay was so different than this design that in my mind they need different names altogether.

What about the BeeJay?  Oh wait... you've been going away from the innuendo names.  (Yes, I went there).

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 05:51:47 AM
What about the BeeJay?  Oh wait... you've been going away from the innuendo names.  (Yes, I went there).

Since you went there, what about PeeJay?  Now that's really bad.

Gerry 

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 06:43:01 AM
We have a new prototype chassis panel. If we have all the parts in stock I hope to get a mockup of the preamp built today so you can see what it looks like.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:39:20 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 09:06:36 AM
Today we ordered the final production run of PC boards for the BeePre.  Enough labeling has changed from the last revision that we will wait for these to roll in before we can finish the manual.

We also ordered two expedited chassis plates today - one to verify the small changes to the new layout, and the other for writing the manual.  We hope to start writing the manual before the PC boards show up. 

In the same order, we added a recessed plate for the stepped attenuators, so we can confirm pricing and provide some additional details about this shortly. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Demsy

Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 02:29:45 PM
Very curious........I'm in the market for a 300B pre also!