Surprise!

Doc B. · 23663

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 04:27:23 PM
I will suggest, with your OK, working through the analysis with a methodical approach. Bear with me - what inspired you to put a Quickie ahead of the Crack?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 06:50:42 PM
Spot on Dave!

I put the Submissive in front of my Quickie today, I'm very pleased with the results!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline wullymc

Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 11:19:10 PM
I will suggest, with your OK, working through the analysis with a methodical approach. Bear with me - what inspired you to put a Quickie ahead of the Crack?

Thanks Doc, Paul.  I put the Quickie ahead of the Crack as mostly for a switching device.  I currently have my Dac and phono preamp as inputs going to the Crack.  I know that I could have used just a switch from Radio Shack but I am having fun building your kits!

I still need to do the Speedball and I think I will upgrade the caps in the Quickie and Crack but instead of upgrading the pots buying the Submissive instead. 

Thanks...Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 05:11:18 AM
I suspect that you would have enough gain with the Submissive connected directly to the Crack, so you might want to try that too. Most builders find the Crack plenty sensitive. And I'm not surprised the Quicke/Submissive combo works well. It should make for sort of a Jr. Bee Pre.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline wullymc

Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 10:55:55 AM
Thanks Doc.  Much appreciated!

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline wc

Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 07:45:06 AM
Is there an issue with paralleling more pairs of outputs. I was thinking to use it to consolidate all my analog sources and feed 3 other amps and active subs in stereo configuration.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 07:53:45 AM
It's a passive control, so the output impedance is relatively high, at least at one end of the range. For multiple amps you would want a lot of drive and low output impedance. That's where an active preamp with low output impedance like the BeePre comes in.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline wc

Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 11:18:46 AM
All the amps I would be running to have their own volume controls and preamps. Such as a future quickie/class D amp combo, Yamaha integrated amp, sub amps, and an AV receiver for Zone 2 use on the patio. The sub amps and the Quickie combo would be the only ones that would need to go through the attenuator.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 11:30:44 AM
What is the input impedance of the sub amp?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline wc

Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 02:52:57 PM
Not real sure. I don't currently own a sub, but I thinking of getting one in the future. What should I look for?

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 09:31:26 PM
I've ordered...hoping this will be a fun little project! 

Best,
John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline wullymc

Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 11:41:36 AM
A question.  If you leave the stock pot in a Crack and hook up a Submissive and put the Crack at full volume and used the Submissive for the volume wouldn't the sound still be affected by the stock pot in the Crack?....because basically you want to  bypass the potright?

...or would it be better to have a better pot in the Crack and  then get a Submissive?

hopefully you understand my question

thanks...Dave

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline Grainger49

Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 11:54:13 AM
If having the pot in the circuit bothers you, you can remove the pot and replace it with a pair of $4 or $6 resistors.  Then you don't worry about the pot affecting the sound.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:04:00 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 11:57:39 AM
If you go online and look at images of the way a pot works, you will see that at full volume the entire length of the resistive element is connected only to ground, and there is no resistive element in the signal path, just the wiper contact terminal and the input terminal. So at that position the pot acts essentially as a 100K grid resistor. If one wanted to use a Submissive one could replace the pot with that configuration in the input of the Crack, by disconnecting the pot and wiring the center pin of the input jack directly to the grid of the 12AU7 then putting a 100K resistor across the RCA jack from center pin to ground. But the easiest thing to do is just turn the volume all the way up on the Crack.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline wullymc

Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 12:03:22 PM
thanks Doc, Grainger.

Really appreciate the input.  Makes sense to me...a newb :)

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm