Anyone got a super secret tube stash? What's still out there?

mortron · 7183

4krow

Raytheon "glows"  So far I have only used the stock tubes and some original Tesla tubes. I'm afraid that I would quite mad, daring to use more.

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
There seems to be fair number of 3s4's on ebay these days. Kind of curious about those from the U.S. Navy. I also would like to get some Raytheon tubes at some point. Big Raytheon presence here in Tucson.

I'm quite pleased with sylvania from us navy, very little microphonic, but stay away from mullard JAN...very microphonic and with lots of flaws.
Recently I bought 8 pieces of the french tubes Q was sold with as a spare parts...  ;D
My experience is based on JAN Sylvania, RCA, JAN Mullard... I'd love to have a pair of Telefunken  :)

Bisogna avere orecchio!

4krow

For some reason, it seems that is more variance in these tubes than other types. Whatever you decide, I would try to get original stock. Actually, that's probably all that is out there.

Offline Grainger49

I'm quite pleased with Sylvania from us navy, very little microphonic,    .  .  .   

I am another fan of the JAN (Joint Army Navy) Sylvania.  They have additional bracing for military duty.  They have never disappointed me.  Now I need some JAN Sylvania 45s.

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
I am another fan of the JAN (Joint Army Navy) Sylvania.  They have additional bracing for military duty.  They have never disappointed me.  Now I need some JAN Sylvania 45s.

As you can image from one of my posts I have a pair of JAN Sylvania 46  :)

That's why I was wondering if Stereomour is also 46 compatible...

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Chris

Super sorry 4k, I didnt see your post... yes, you read it correctly and Sir Paul described the very amp... "Years ago, someone built a P-P amp with multiple parallel 12AX7s as the power stage."...... I happen to have that amp, it uses the 12ax7 tube as the output drivers yielding about 2 watts per 12ax7... it uses the 12au7 as the input driver stage.... I love it because it is a unique and interesting "out of the box" design...   so when everybody is ordering 2 300bs, 2 2a3s, 4 el34s etc... I have to order 20 12ax7s...... :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:47:05 AM by Chris »

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 05:55:09 PM
I was at Burning Amp, a couple of years ago. Nelson Pass had this. There is just as many on the other side...John
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:59:46 PM by 2wo »

John Scanlon

4krow

Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 07:21:02 PM
  Thanks Chris, It just didn't sound right when you wrote it. Thinking out of the box is a good thing. Speaking of boxes, look around you. EVERYTHING! is a box. We live in them, we work in them, we listen to them. It's refreshing to see a few designs here and there in this world that trash the box (no, I don't live in a geodesic dome).

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 12:06:06 AM
THAT is NOT the sound of one hand clapping.  I think that phrase is a great analogy for SET.

Offline Chris

Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 05:40:19 PM
Yep, well said 4k... I seem to always be attracted to unique designs and technologies.. Not sure why...

4krow

Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 06:46:04 PM
  Thanks,   sometimes it feels like there is a whole civilization out there living THAT way, and here I am, standing alone in a field....with one hand clapping.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 06:06:28 AM
Folks do know that if you ask a Master what the sound of "one hand clapping" is - he hauls off and slaps you right across the mouth? 

Kevin R-M

4krow

Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 07:31:25 AM
  Yes, I stand alone slapping my own forehead. I said foreHEAD,  geeez

Offline Chris

Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 04:38:41 PM
Hahaha..

Offline Jbryant_77

Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 08:13:29 PM
Raytheon for sure!!
I've also found that burning them in on my tube test for an hour makes a big difference in the sound of all 3s4 tubes.
Hope this helps
Jason