Anyone got a super secret tube stash? What's still out there?

mortron · 7205

Offline mortron

I'm up to two pair of RCA and a pair of old used Mullards for my Quickie... And am looking for something different. I've read the various threads commenting on sounds of tubes. I run a SS amp, and am enjoying the RCA currently. It's far from great, but not bad. All retailers seem to have the typical RCA, GE or Sylvania tubes only.

Offline earwaxxer

Hey Mort - What I did was just buy as many different kinds of cheap tubes I could, and do some rolling. Get those $2 a pop tubes out there, even if you dont know what you are getting. You might get a GE, or an Aladdin. All good. Sometimes a particular tube sounds the best with say, classical, or rock, etc. You never know what is going to blend with your system. Of course the Telefunkins are the hot item, hard to find. I have them in, and will leave them in.... Until I get the yen to do some rolling...

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
The old RCA's are really quite nice- warm, open with great imaging and soundstage.  I like them better than Sylvanias., GE and Tungsol for jazz, female voice and small ensemble classical music.  I have some Mullards that I have to try, but I am just not currently compelled to pull the RCA's.  Generally I usually prefer the Mullard sonic signature.

I am currently running the Q into Paramour 2A3's and econowave type speakers.  Be interested in your feedback after trying other "flavors"!!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline earwaxxer

The RCA's are nice. They are my second favorite to the teles's.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline matthewmckay

the NOS seimens are quite nice as well... a little more lively than the teles... awesome for listening to electronica.

4krow

If I had a switching device to go from one tube to another(maybe a max of three different tubes to choose from), THEN I would be happier.

Offline mortron

If I had a switching device to go from one tube to another(maybe a max of three different tubes to choose from), THEN I would be happier.

I'm jealous you have enough tubes to.... Roll... Like that :D

Offline Grainger49

I have a number of 12AX7 Orange globe Amperex tubes.  They were the tube of choice at ARC when they made the SP3- etc.

Offline Chris

Funny, I have an amp that takes 20   12AX7s... Would love some teles, but way too expensive...

4krow

Pardon my ignorance here, but why would there be so many 12ax7 tubes?

Offline Grainger49

The 12AX7 was a tube of choice in many "classic" preamps.  The McIntosh tubed preamps and the Audio Research Corp's SP3-a-1 to name two. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:46:32 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline 2wo

• Test
Yea, I have an SP3a that really needs a full set of 12ax7s ...John

John Scanlon

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Years ago, someone built a P-P amp with multiple parallel 12AX7s as the power stage.

Paul Joppa

4krow

So, Chris you say that there are 20! 12ax7 tubes in your amp, or did I misread your post?

Offline earwaxxer

There seems to be fair number of 3s4's on ebay these days. Kind of curious about those from the U.S. Navy. I also would like to get some Raytheon tubes at some point. Big Raytheon presence here in Tucson. 

Eric