PLEASE POST!

adamct · 6135

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 11:13:57 AM
Ok, I'll post a random one:

I recently started a little bizarre, but healthy and harmless hobby: collecting driftwood for sculptures.  Right now I'm hoping to make a large sculpture of an Orca whale probably for the backyard of our shop.  Have collected the head, dorsal fin, tail, and some of the most important pieces to round out the body.  Now needing to find pectoral fins, extra filler pieces, and some novel way of attaching it all together and elevating it off the ground.  Debating whether I am up to the challenge to make this 10-12 ft. long scultpture "breach" or not.

Oh, the odd things we do to stay in shape :)

Cheers,

Clark 

In other news, am making good headway on a new large bookshelf model to release soonish.  Taking sea related name suggestions.

4krow

Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 11:28:59 AM
  It has tempted me more than once to use a piece of driftwood somehow in a speaker design. Non conventional is great in trade for boxes, boxes, and more box-shaped pieces of audio gear.

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 11:43:29 AM
The tough part of getting a driftwood speaker is getting the same piece of driftwood twice... 

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 12:18:39 PM
How about the "Blackfish", which is both sea-related AND Orca-related?  ;)

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 12:24:01 PM
Or the "Pilot", which keeps things whale-related...

4krow

Reply #35 on: July 31, 2013, 03:19:20 PM
Ummm, I still use mono.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #36 on: July 31, 2013, 03:30:24 PM
Back to bread boarding.  Has anyone else made their own phenolic eyelet board for use in a hifi?  I have made a few for guitar amps and always thought it would make a nice clean build that would be easy to maintain.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline rif

Reply #37 on: July 31, 2013, 03:36:47 PM

In other news, am making good headway on a new large bookshelf model to release soonish.  Taking sea related name suggestions.

Orcapocalypse

-david

Offline Armaegis

Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 04:49:39 PM
  It has tempted me more than once to use a piece of driftwood somehow in a speaker design. Non conventional is great in trade for boxes, boxes, and more box-shaped pieces of audio gear.

I drive by this place that makes custom kitchen/bathroom countertops all the time, and I keep wondering if that would make a good panel to mount drivers onto. Or maybe find some surplus sinks or something and make pseudo horns out of them... or something.  :o

Offline Cary

Reply #39 on: August 01, 2013, 05:41:09 AM
I just finished building a pair of 13EM7 Miniblok amps. They sound great for a low investment.

4krow

Reply #40 on: August 01, 2013, 06:00:16 AM
 Armaegis,

The countertop material, if it is a poured type might very well be a great baffle material with support. Corian was expensive back in the day, but there many more types of material now days. 1" thick would be a good start, with proper support as I mentioned. Also, you can go to places like the 'Restore' that Habitat for Humanity may have in your area. I have many materials for projects there.

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #41 on: August 02, 2013, 12:40:11 PM
I came across this article recopied on a hi fi blog and it's great for a laugh!

"I Married a Hi Fi Addict" by Alice Brooks for Audio magazine, Sept 1960

http://itishifi.blogspot.com/2013/07/i-married-hi-fi-addict-by-alice-brooks.html

"The day finally came when the whole shebang came upstairs. It only took three men to get it up and they put the stair railing back when they finished, so it was relatively uneventful."

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #42 on: August 02, 2013, 12:49:10 PM
Ummm, I still use mono.

Definitely still listen to Mono music.  I own more 78's than 33's...  For RnD, Its a great way to evaluate incrimental changes in a system.  Its very easy to compare changes that way.

How about the "Blackfish", which is both sea-related AND Orca-related?  ;)

Adam, this should be a really good movie...  https://www.facebook.com/BlackfishFilm I really like the name Blackfish for a speaker too.  Thanks a ton for the suggestion!

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #43 on: August 02, 2013, 01:42:07 PM
Nothing wrong with mono - a lot of my favorite recordings aren't in stereo. Plus, the wood floors where I live are so damaging to my horn speakers imaging that I'm halfway ready to just shove the damn things next to each other, by a wall for better bass, and wire them in mono. It's not like I'm getting a realistic stereo image or "life like" soundstage anyway! Unless one is sitting still and equidistant from a pair of carefully-placed stereo speakers, I happen to think stereo is a bit overrated for casual loudspeaker use. Guess I'm more of a headphone guy.....

Offline Chris

Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 11:02:08 AM
I will post,  Dr. Amar Bose died on my birthday July 12.... My first stereo as a teenager was built around a pair of 901s with which I LOVED dearly and SERIOUSLY rocked both the west coast as well as the east coast of America for 15 years with those things.... A VERY fond memory... Thank you Amar for the huge amount of fun I had with your design and RIP.... Love the company or not, in the 1970s and early 80s, that company was putting out some FUN products... Nuff said... and note, I said the 1970s and early 80s ONLY....