Vintage Turntables

madbrayniak · 18017

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 09:28:40 AM
I am not familiar with that chart that you linked me to but I am familiar with the idea that with a light compliance cart you need a heavy arm and vice versa.

That chart though looks like it would be a great think to bookmark!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 10:26:36 AM
So for the last year or a bit longer my wife and I have been trying to learn how to live a simpler life. We have been getting rid of alot of pointless junk.
So I pretty much KNOW I will enjoy LP records. Cause it seems to just fit with me and my life style. Just need to get into it.
I read somewhere on here that some of you find the DL-103 to sound good but a little dull.
Getting into vinyl would not be a good way to live a simpler life, and going down the low output moving coil trail even less so.  If you're all about convenience and space economy, a music server will really be a better way to go. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 12:42:03 PM
If the resonant frequency of a cartridge/tonearm system is below about 8 Hz, it will resonate when you play a warped record. If it is above about 12 Hz, it will resonate when you play a record with strong low audible frequencies. Either case will cause visible shaking of the cartridge and audible mis-tracking.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline rif

Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 12:48:35 PM
Either case will cause visible shaking of the cartridge and audible mis-tracking.

IIRC, the Cardas test/setup record tests for this.  Of course this also means you need to already own the arm and cartridge...

-david

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #49 on: December 20, 2013, 08:02:52 AM
So for the last year or a bit longer my wife and I have been trying to learn how to live a simpler life. We have been getting rid of alot of pointless junk.
So I pretty much KNOW I will enjoy LP records. Cause it seems to just fit with me and my life style. Just need to get into it.
I read somewhere on here that some of you find the DL-103 to sound good but a little dull.
Getting into vinyl would not be a good way to live a simpler life, and going down the low output moving coil trail even less so.  If you're all about convenience and space economy, a music server will really be a better way to go.

Ok maybe "simpler" is not entirely the right word to use.

What I mean is enjoy the simpler things....trying to actually limit the amount/kind of technology....

I really dont know how to describe it with words right now. But sitting down, putting a record on, and losing yourself in music is simpler than sitting infront of the tv, with an ipad in your lap, looking at facebook, obsessing over what your "friends" are doing....

Taking time to just read a book instead of surf the internet.

Taking time to make nice dinners and enjoy cooking.

Do you get what I am trying to say?

Offline Yoder

Reply #50 on: December 23, 2013, 07:59:21 AM

Ok maybe "simpler" is not entirely the right word to use.

What I mean is enjoy the simpler things....trying to actually limit the amount/kind of technology....

I really dont know how to describe it with words right now. But sitting down, putting a record on, and losing yourself in music is simpler than sitting infront of the tv, with an ipad in your lap, looking at facebook, obsessing over what your "friends" are doing....

Taking time to just read a book instead of surf the internet.

Taking time to make nice dinners and enjoy cooking.

Do you get what I am trying to say?

I am not really sure what you are trying to say to be honest, except that maybe you are trying to simplify your life. It reads as if you are trying to redirect your energies away from the "social/internet media" and spend more of your time doing activities that are not centered around such activities that are the result of one aspect of technology. Yes, reading a book over watching TV is a very good thing. But, I do like to watch a good HD movie with some great audio. Likewise, listening to good audio over a good system is a great way to calm the nerves and sooth the brain, and playing an instrument is a great way to expand ones' creative energies.

Personally, I avoid Facebook, etc., with a passion. I do love technology though and am awed by its evolution/growth. I see technology as being a tool to help us perform work more efficiently, thus giving us more time for leisure. With our leisure we can use technology to broaden our choices of relaxation and gain a greater understanding of the Universe, and hence ourselves. With tech we are privy to data/information that has previously have been unknown or impossible to replicate (fractals.) In the end, it is not the technology that is to blame but how we choose to use it.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #51 on: December 23, 2013, 09:24:48 AM
"Simplicity is the state or quality of being simple. It usually relates to the burden which a thing puts on someone trying to explain or understand it. Something which is easy to understand or explain is simple, in contrast to something complicated. Alternatively, as Herbert A. Simon suggested, something is simple or complex depending on the way we choose to describe it... In some uses, simplicity can be used to imply beauty, purity, or clarity. Simplicity may also be used in a negative connotation to denote a deficit or insufficiency of nuance or complexity of a thing, relative to what is supposed to be required. (Emphasis added.)

The concept of simplicity has been related to in the field of epistemology. According to Occam's razor, all other things being equal, the simplest theory is the most likely to be true. In the context of human lifestyle, simplicity can denote freedom from hardship, effort or confusion. Specifically, it can refer to a simple living style. (Emphasis added.)

Simplicity is a theme in the Christian religion. According to St. Thomas Aquinas, God is infinitely simple. The Roman Catholic and Anglican religious orders of Franciscans also strive after simplicity. Members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) practice the Testimony of Simplicity, which is the simplifying of one's life in order to focus on things that are most important and disregard or avoid things that are least important.  (Emphasis added.)

In the philosophy of science, simplicity is a meta-scientific criterion by which to evaluate competing theories. In this field, a distinction is often made between two senses of simplicity: syntactic simplicity (the number and complexity of hypotheses), and ontological simplicity (the number and complexity of things postulated). These two aspects of simplicity are often referred to as elegance and parsimony respectively."

[Wikipedia article on simplicity - yeah, I know, its Wikipedia, and the post is accompanied by a request for improvement. But I like it anyway.] 

Occam's Razor and all that. Gotta like the reference to elegance.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:26:55 AM by Downhome Upstate »

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #52 on: December 23, 2013, 11:13:58 AM
Yoder,

You are kinda getting it. I really am not good with words...you know how they say opposites attract? Well, my wife is an aspiring writer...

I enjoy technology as well but I feel like there is TOO MUCH technology in my life away from work at times. I really enjoy movies and videogames and all of those past times.

However, I use facebook as an example because many have it on their computers, cell phones, tablets, etc. Instead of truely relaxing they are online working themselves up over other people's drama. I have enough drama in my life alone...i dont need anyone else's.

I want to use technology to make life easier, no harder and I feel many people that I know have lost that. I think that is part of the reason why I have such a fascination with audio, especially analog audio.

I am striving for a simpler life where I can go home and fully relax and forget about the troubles of my work.

I do plan to have a home server one day where I have movies and music stored digitally but I also want to have my vinyl records for when I want to sit down and just lose myself to the music. Just like I lose myself in books at times.

Downhome Upstate kinda hit on what I am going after with his Wiki-update, ironically I really started to look for a simpler life after I was baptized about 2 years ago now...

Another way I can explain this is that so often today people want more...just to have more. More house, more clothes, more junk....I want to live by my means. I want to live in a house that is big enough....not big....I want to have the money to invest and travel, I want to be able to retire young enough so I can still get around easily to travel....

I dont want to offend anyone with this post and if you are someone that enjoys living in a bigger house and have lots of toys that's great! I am not trying to say there is anything wrong with that, just that that is not the life that I want for myself. I'm personally too lazy to clean a big house myself and I'm too paranoid to let someone come inside and clean it for me...