Vintage Turntables

madbrayniak · 18015

Offline madbrayniak

on: December 04, 2013, 04:57:33 AM
Good Morning all,

Does anyone on here have much experience with the vintage turntables?

I have been doing alot of reading and it seems to me that some of the best ones to keep an eye out for are

Micro Seiki (BL and RX models)
Thorens(TD124, 125, and 160)
Garrard(301 and 401)
Lenco(L75)
Technics (SP10)
Linn Sondek

Most of these will cost me close to a grand+ to find in good working order but I was wondering if anyone could tell me of any other turntable to keep an eye out for?

My wife is pretty much in love with the Micro Seiki BL-51 and BL-91 cosmetically and I cant say I blame her. However, those are also pretty hard to find. Heck, most of these are pretty tough to find!

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Heck, let me know if some of them that I listed above are also really not worth the money.

Best,
B

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:18:22 AM
I sold the 125 and 160 Thorens, and once got loan of a Technics SP15.  We were a Panasonic dealer and the rep had one. 

I'm partial to belt drives because of the isolation.  I have had many idler wheel drives, but not the high torque ones like the Garrard tables.

I also sold the Linn when it came out.  I preferred the Thorens TD-125 II.  And I can't tell you why.

Maybe you should look for a Transcriptors Skeleton, your wife just might like it:

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FFor%2520Posts%2520Private%2FSkeletonTT_zps9c1172d1.jpg&hash=ccdc364b25553626f8e2490d99ec4c036229b767)

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 05:25:47 AM
I have a well built TD 124 that will be going up for sale soon due to lack of use. I prefer my DD table both in sonics and ease of use. The idlers are great and if you want the best bang for your buck, go the Empire route.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:52:33 AM
You have a good list up there.  I'd add the "DD" models from Micro Seiki.  I have been unusually happy with my DD-40.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:10:21 AM
How many records do you own?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:18:55 AM
I would also take a look at VPI HW19's.  They were TOTL for VPI for several years before the introduction of the TNT series.  They are still supported by VPI. Many of the current platter/bearing combos can be retrofitted.  (Although, IMO, not always an upgrade. i.e. the all acrylic platters.) Takes almost any arm. 

I have a bunch of vintage TT's, Empire, Thorens TD124, TD160. TD150, Lenco Rondine.....  The HW19 easily bested them all in most sonic aspects.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:13:20 AM
that VPI looks great. I hadnt heard much about that one in the past but I will look into it more. I have also seen the price on them on ebay and it's more in the range that I am willing to pay.

VPI has always been one of my favorites, atleast in the looks department for their classic series of tables.

I have been considering trying to build on of my own as I have a few ideas O would like to try out. However, I have not idea where I would start.

Offline xcortes

Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:02:52 AM
I've had the 301 for eight years. Love it more each day.

Xavier Cortes

Offline vetmed

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 10:16:17 AM
Sota Sapphire can be had used for reasonable money. Mine has an Infinity Black Widow arm and a wood body Grado cart, very refined sound ;D

Robert Lees

Robert Lees

Offline ffivaz

Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:20 PM
I have a Thorens TD 160. I changed a lot of things, inside and outside, and it works perfectly! You can find all infos for the upgrades at a website called Analog Dept.

Fabien Fivaz

Thorens TD 160, Denon DL-110, Hagerman Piccolo 2, Reduction (w/ Integration), 2A3 Stereomour, Fostex FE126En in Bk12m enclosures
Halide DAC HD, Crack (w/ Speedball), Sennheiser HD 650

Offline howardnair

Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 12:56:10 AM
i have a linn sondek-and i have a AR ES1-and a AR XA--the linn is my  favorite even though at the moment the AR ES1 is what i use the most --i am not sure how the ES1 rates as a audiophile turntable and mine is stock except for the plywood and lead sandwich that i replaced the bottom cover with-i would  like to own a thorens -dave archembault    at vinylnirvana has both AR and thorens at times- rt now it looks like all thorens and all sold- the site is informational  -here is the  link
http://vinylnirvana.com/

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 01:20:24 AM
Another possible consideration is George Merrill's latest take on the ES1, a Merrill ES-R1 Replica. http://www.gmanalog.com/es-turntable.php

The Jelco tonearms available with the ES-R1 work well with low compliance cartridges, like the Denon DL-103 and 103R. No platter mat required, as the platter includes a serious integral cork/rubber facing (same with the sub-platter) that obviates the need for a good mat, a la Merrill-Williams $5,995 R.E.A.L. turntable. The 'table is suspended and uses a lot of non-resonant polymer to eliminate resonance, from the sub-platter, platter and armboard, to the pulley. It uses the same A/C synchronous motor used in the Merrill Heirloom.

It is designed to work with a center clamp and outer ring. The TT Weights 200 gram center clamp and 480 g. outer ring seem to work really well.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:24:32 AM by Downhome Upstate »

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 01:10:46 PM
Some of you guys have some great turntables!

I'm really liking the idea of the HW19 because they can be had for a good price. I also like the idea of the VPI Traveler since it is so reasonably priced as well.

I should have made this clear sooner but I want to keep the price at about 1k or lower for right now. I have a few records and I am slowly collecting them but I dont actually have a turntable right now. I never have had one but have always been interested in them.

I was looking at the Project Debut Carbon but my wife really like the vintage look and the Project Designs dont have that at all.

VPI Classic series I think does the best about being new but keeping that retro vibe going on.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 01:26:53 PM
Don't spend anywhere near a kilobuck on a first table. Get a direct drive Japanese table from the '80s. Spend 200 bucks tops, including the cartridge, at your local used audio emporium. Vinyl is a crazy hobby that gets really expensive really fast, and right now you don't know how much you even care about it. Throwing a bunch of cash at equipment won't tell you anything you can't figure out at a lower pricepoint, and you can spend the savings where it matters-on records.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 01:48:39 PM
I'm with Josh, start out not too expensive and make sure you really like the whole ritual. Though I would go belt drive over cheap DD - just my taste. An original Thorens TD-150 or 160 can be had for a reasonable sum and is pretty nice. A Philips 212 is another decent table for cheap. Get a decent used cartridge and you should get nice sound.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.