Choke specs for the Crack

JamieMcC · 27850

Offline NightFlight

Reply #45 on: June 14, 2014, 01:23:09 PM
http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/C-7X/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhbeVQomtZQm6Wo19J3RkQe24jRzwLg5Ow%3d

I just wanted to point out that new Triad C7X are available from mouser for $CAN 13.79. That is about the 1/2 the price as seen posted on ebay earlier in this thread. Possibly cheaper shipping too.  From a reputable seller like mouser its a better deal all around.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #46 on: June 14, 2014, 02:08:28 PM
Whats the difference between the new and old?

M.McCandless

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #47 on: June 14, 2014, 10:56:22 PM
http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/C-7X/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhbeVQomtZQm6Wo19J3RkQe24jRzwLg5Ow%3d

I just wanted to point out that new Triad C7X are available from mouser for $CAN 13.79. That is about the 1/2 the price as seen posted on ebay earlier in this thread. Possibly cheaper shipping too.  From a reputable seller like mouser its a better deal all around.

Whats the difference between the new and old?

Not sure if its a new version myself they look to be the same the specsheet Mouser link is dated 2006.

The Ebay ones I expect are brought in baulk wholesale most probably from Mouser and then just marked up for retail.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline NightFlight

Reply #48 on: June 15, 2014, 04:04:40 AM
Ordered mine early Wednesday morning from Mouser with other goodies. Received it Thurdsay afternoon at my work. That's from TX to Ontario Canada. Amazing turnaround.

Stuffed it in my Crack (lol) last night and heard it briefly. I used a couple 1" standoffs and I almost accidentally drilled through my transformer, but its in!  I had to turn it off right away because it was 1am and I would have been there all night.  This morning there is yet again more prat coming out of the PS and I swear its digging deeper for detail.  Its worth it.

Offline williaty

Reply #49 on: June 25, 2014, 11:24:33 AM
Hi all, just wanted to say thanks to all those who helped hold my hand with the choke installation details and share a couple of pics of how its turned out. Keeping the fasteners out of sight behind the transformer worked well I intend to go back over the connection with some better insulation or shrink wrap to make the connections look a bit more tidy at a later date.
While it's the chokes I'm mostly interested in, what are you doing with the circuit that allowed you to use such small output coupling caps? I thought going that small would raise the lower -3dB point to a problematic degree.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #50 on: June 25, 2014, 12:05:35 PM
While it's the chokes I'm mostly interested in, what are you doing with the circuit that allowed you to use such small output coupling caps? I thought going that small would raise the lower -3dB point to a problematic degree.

Those are 10uF caps in parallel with some other caps.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #51 on: June 25, 2014, 12:16:11 PM
Not sure how to answer that myself but there is a  graph on the forum somewhere that showed how the Cracks 3dB point changes by interpolating different capacitor uf values with differing headphone impedances which was quiet interesting. Perhaps someone will remember where it was posted.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline EarWorm

Reply #52 on: June 28, 2014, 01:20:09 PM
Is this the chart?

Sony 8FC-69WA AM/FM Digimatic Flip Clock Radio Circa 1971. 
1962 RCA Victor 4 Volt Superheterodyne AM Radio With ear Jack & plastic ivory ear piece.   What?

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #53 on: August 12, 2014, 10:33:05 AM
I just want to make sure that this is the right choke (C-7X) for the Crack before i ordered them.Thanks!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 10:55:23 AM
Yes that is it.

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18:47 PM
Thank You!

Offline Jimb0

Reply #56 on: February 04, 2015, 10:20:53 AM
Does the choke need to be mounted away from the chassis or can I use velcro to secure it right on it?

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #57 on: February 04, 2015, 11:38:02 AM
I believe it is a good thing to ground the choke metal.

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline Grainger49

Reply #58 on: February 04, 2015, 11:47:54 AM
Others have mounted the choke on standoffs under the top plate.  A look through the Gallery folder or in the Crack folder will yield a number of pictures.

The choke needs to be a way from other inductors, like the transformer, to keep it from picking up hum.

Yes, it needs the frame, mounting screws, tied to the safety ground.

Offline Jimb0

Reply #59 on: February 04, 2015, 04:18:16 PM
Thanks guys. The standoff idea seems like a good method. Will run to home depot tomorrow to pick up a couple  :D

James