Bam!

Doc B. · 19938

Offline Cary

Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 03:45:26 PM
Just ordered mine yesterday, it will be demonstrated at the Northern California DIY show in October.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:49:09 PM by Cary »

Offline Magnetron

• I took things apart when I was a kid.
Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 06:49:36 PM
I have been OK with the low power, unmodded tripath chip amps with the quickie in my bedroom stereo, I anxiously await the bottlehead quicksand.

P. Bond

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 12:01:25 PM
First post edited to add a picture of the underside of the completed amp.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Grainger49

Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 01:24:39 PM
I think that there is room for bypass caps and upgraded output caps there. 

It is tiny.  Not at all like my ChipAmp Gain Clone.

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 06:25:17 AM
Looking at how clean the underside is, my first thought is: Can this be built into the same chasis/enclosure as the quickie...

Only one way to find out!

;D

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX

Offline denti alligator

Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 06:29:19 AM
Looking at how clean the underside is, my first thought is: Can this be built into the same chasis/enclosure as the quickie...

Only one way to find out!

;D
I don't see how, unless you planned on making the plates at 90-degree angles to one another or on opposite sides of the chassis. But you could probably just saw your Quickie chassis in half (horizontally, of course) and use the two pieces for the two amps.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 06:57:45 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of mounting the PCB to a standoff on the underside of the quickie chassis, hardwiring the quickie output into the quicksand input, then installing the various audio outs and power switch into the base itself. The only problem will be figuring where to mount all those batteries. Maybe on the inside of the base itself...

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX

Offline Grainger49

Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 09:40:18 AM
I think it is a natural progression.  But the problem I see is all those batteries!  The Quicksand has 95% of the top of the chassis covered with batteries. 

Maybe put the Quickie batteries under the top and the Quicksand batteries on the top?

If you lead others will follow.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 09:44:12 AM
The only problem will be figuring where to mount all those batteries.

Yeah, there are a lot of batteries!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kgoss

Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 10:57:30 AM
Since battery power is what makes this amp special and there are so many to replace, maybe Bottlehead will offer an upgrade kit to run it from SLA batteries. Something like the upcoming DAC if that would work. Not that those are small, but they could charge when you weren't listening. Anyway just a thought.

Ken Goss

Offline Sonido

Reply #40 on: July 04, 2014, 01:20:22 PM
I just saw the picture of the underside and circuitry, and it looks to have a shared/common ground. I thought Class D/T amps didn't have a shared ground? When I was messing with the HE-500 with speaker amps, one of the limitations on using a speaker tap to TRS adapter was the requirement of a common ground, and all of the sub $100 class D/T speaker amps on the market had separate grounding and would go up in smoke if connected with a TRS adapter. And to get a balanced cable generally defeated the goal of a cheap speaker amp solution (to keep it economical). The king of affordable speaker amps for headphones ended being the Emotiva MiniX which is an AB amp and has a common ground, but is also $220. It's nice to see a potential new solution to the affordable speaker amp for headphones quandary.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #41 on: July 04, 2014, 04:31:16 PM
Since battery power is what makes this amp special and there are so many to replace, maybe Bottlehead will offer an upgrade kit to run it from SLA batteries. Something like the upcoming DAC if that would work. Not that those are small, but they could charge when you weren't listening. Anyway just a thought.

Note to PB - I have attached a link to the full bill of materials for the Quicksand SLA battery adapter kit.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/3M/FDI18-250Q/?qs=SfU69DRKVGBj%252bw1YFkqIaw%3D%3D&gclid=CjkKEQjwodmdBRDm_ZLhorWm68UBEiQAKhO3_TzDJjUcXQ6SeXN3xDP2uRsp9BVJ2xyUV4oStf2a5Wjw_wcB

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #42 on: July 05, 2014, 06:07:14 AM
That's FUNNY ! !

Offline kgoss

Reply #43 on: July 05, 2014, 10:19:47 AM
Yes it is and that's why my degree is in computer science not electrical engineering!  Looks like Doc gets to keep the corner office for another week!  Heck, I'll give him the next two weeks!   8)

Ken Goss

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 03:58:47 AM
Another question: it seems headphone output isn't lowered at all (the resistors across the jack seems 0 ohm), isn't it a bit dangerous?

Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!