Wire size for Crack with SB and other important upgrades.

i luvmusic 2 · 5028

Offline i luvmusic 2

Hi,
  This is my first post in here,I just ordered the Crack and SB so while i'am waiting maybe i should start ordering some important  upgrade materials If you guys can let me know what are the parts i need and i would like to know what is the size of those hook up wires used in CRACK?If possible to send a Link please do.THANK YOU!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:58:11 AM
I use 22 gauge wire for assembly and upgrades.  20 gauge is fine.  Larger is not necessary. 

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 02:11:13 AM
I use 22 gauge wire for assembly and upgrades.  20 gauge is fine.  Larger is not necessary. 
THANK YOU!

Offline STURMJ

Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 07:44:38 PM
If I were you, i would start looking at 100uF film capacitors, and possibly 100K potentiometers. The capacitor upgrade is the most logical upgrade you can make, the performance is most noticeably affected.  Beware, 100uF film caps are huge! (don't look at ones rated below 250v).  Look at pics in other threads, if you haven't already.

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 02:18:26 AM
If I were you, i would start looking at 100uF film capacitors, and possibly 100K potentiometers. The capacitor upgrade is the most logical upgrade you can make, the performance is most noticeably affected.  Beware, 100uF film caps are huge! (don't look at ones rated below 250v).  Look at pics in other threads, if you haven't already.
  Hi, If i will upgrade the CAPS since i don't receive my Crack/SB i don't know how many caps would i need and what are the values of all the upgrade CAPS? Caps size is not a big deal for me i can make a case actually i already have a aluminum plate cut for the amp all i have to do now is wait and when it arrived i can decide if i need to make a new case or just use the stock case.Thank You!

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 07:19:55 AM
Personally I would think about upgrading the volume pot as the first mod this will allow you to better appreciate the benefits that any further modifying can bring.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 07:53:01 AM
  I'am still shopping around for Attenuator/Pot so many choices out there with deferent price range from $20+ to $50+ for the one it Appear to me it's the same construction and materials but they vary in prices so i need to be careful  before i get ripoff specially they are coming from overseas.The ALPS Blue Velvet is the one that i'am considering it's $20 from Parts Conn....n.Is this considered step up from the stock Volume pot or have you guys used this with crack before?THANK YOU!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:56:14 AM by i luvmusic 2 »

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 10:22:13 AM
I have the Valab  fitted to my Crack and its probably one of the best bang for the buck upgrades I have done to my Crack. The E80cc resistor mod is another inexpensive gem.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline ironbut

Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 10:25:18 AM
Installing nice wire from the get go is a good idea IMHO.
Installing other upgrades at this point is not.
I think that building a kit stock and living with it that way for a while is the best way to get a handle on what you like and dislike about an amp. It gives you a baseline to decide how you'd like to proceed with your mods (is it too warm or too bright?).
Also, there's the practical matter of troubleshooting a modified kit. If you run into an issue after the kit is done, it complicates matters. On top of that, those big film caps are almost impossible to work around. Many times, problems with these kits are bad solder joints, or components in the wrong place/orientation. Both of those issues are pretty easy to see and fix in stock form but almost impossible to access with film caps in place (unless your really lucky).
So maybe you're an old hand at electronics and have been troubleshooting space shuttles for ever, but if you're like me, build stock and enjoy the tunes for a while.

steve koto

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 10:46:19 AM
I have the Valab  fitted to my Crack and its probably one of the best bang for the buck upgrades I have done to my Crack. The E80cc resistor mod is another inexpensive gem.
Thank You!It's good to know that someone actually used the Part.

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 11:01:52 AM
Installing nice wire from the get go is a good idea IMHO.
Installing other upgrades at this point is not.
I think that building a kit stock and living with it that way for a while is the best way to get a handle on what you like and dislike about an amp. It gives you a baseline to decide how you'd like to proceed with your mods (is it too warm or too bright?).
Also, there's the practical matter of troubleshooting a modified kit. If you run into an issue after the kit is done, it complicates matters. On top of that, those big film caps are almost impossible to work around. Many times, problems with these kits are bad solder joints, or components in the wrong place/orientation. Both of those issues are pretty easy to see and fix in stock form but almost impossible to access with film caps in place (unless your really lucky).
So maybe you're an old hand at electronics and have been troubleshooting space shuttles for ever, but if you're like me, build stock and enjoy the tunes for a while.
  I asked for the wire because i do have some leftover(20awg solid  teflon silver plated )i'm  not sure what size is the stock wires.I Agree with you regarding start from the stock.The Crack will stay stock  for a little while  before it will received some upgrades then i will decide if i need to make another chassis to fit those Big upgrade Parts.I already have the aluminum plate cut waiting for the Amp (Free10" X 12" X 1/8"  and 4" X 12" x 1/8" Aluminum Plates)Thanks for your input!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 11:16:36 AM
That should be fine.  Go ahead and use it wherever you want.  It will fit through the PCB holes with no problem.

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 11:30:46 AM
That should be fine.  Go ahead and use it wherever you want.  It will fit through the PCB holes with no problem.
  I sure will Thank You!