Tube Rolling w/Crack

Dr. Toobz · 751541

Offline jrihs

Reply #150 on: November 14, 2011, 02:01:58 PM
Sure that makes sense but funny that they would use both within slavic countries. Извини, пожалуйста!

John Rihs

Offline Bolivar

Reply #151 on: November 25, 2011, 08:23:20 AM
When looking at suitable alternative tubes, what are the main points that I should look for in the datasheet. For instance I have a 12AV7 (5965) tube. Could this work in place of the 12AU7?

Valtteri Nurmi

AMB Gamma2 DAC --> Crack --> Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #152 on: November 25, 2011, 10:33:06 AM
For a good match, you must match gain (mu), plate resistance (rp), and transconductance (gm). They are related, and a match of any two means the third will match as well. However, rp and gm are strong functions of plate current, so make sure the parameters are quoted at similar currents. Here is an example:

12AU7  at 10.5mA  mu=17, rp=7700, gm=2200
6CG7    at  9.0mA  mu=20, rp=7700, gm=2600

These are within less than 20%, indicating a close enough match for most purposes. Note that the 6CG7 needs twice as much heater current, fortunately Crack has enough current available to handle this requirement. You should always check this too, though!

Paul Joppa

Offline stereo_eyes

Reply #153 on: November 25, 2011, 09:02:53 PM
While wandering through an electronics junk store while visiting my daughter for Thanksgiving I couldn't stop myself from buying a couple of tubes from their piles (literally) of tubes. I got an RCA 6ca7g that was just sitting in the bin (no box) that could be new (or not), and what appears to be a new in box GE 6ca7ga. The place (see below for those of you in the silicon valley area) had a simple pricing scheme: all tubes of a given type cost the same, independent of condition, with no testing and no guarantee!

So here's my real question: I now have two tubes that could be perfect or could have been sitting in that bin since somebody determined they didn't work 40 years ago and never got around to throwing them out.  Having experienced some rather interesting tube failures over the years, I'm a little nervous to just plug them into my shiny new crack and fire it up.  So nothing to worry about, just slam them in and look for fireworks in case I need to pull the plug? Or just write off this small impulse buy and get some tubes from somebody that has actually tested them before I put them in?

*http://www.yelp.com/biz/hsc-electronic-supply-santa-clara-2

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #154 on: November 26, 2011, 02:56:11 AM
Well, the 6CA7 is a power pentode (el34 equivalent), so there's no place to use it in the Crack.  Both tubes in the Crack are dual triodes -- one small signal, one power.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline stereo_eyes

Reply #155 on: November 26, 2011, 06:27:20 AM
Okay, violated my "don't ever send email after midnight because bad things happen" rule.

The two tubes are, of course, really a 6AS7G and 6AS7GA. I guess I have 6CA7 seared into my brain after too many years of nursing a Dynaco Stereo 70 in my youth (showing my age!).

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #156 on: November 26, 2011, 06:57:11 AM
Ah, well I'm sure we've all been there :-).

If it were me I'd probably start with the one in the factory box, do a visual inspection to make sure everyting looks ok internally, then make sure the filament is a low resistance and the other pins are very high -- ruling out any shorts between elements) and then give it a try.

This is assuming that you know the amp is working to begin with.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline stereo_eyes

Reply #157 on: November 26, 2011, 08:16:16 PM
Thanks Jim, that sounds like good advice. It's been 25 years since I had tube technology in my system, and I've forgotten even the basics. I'll be home in a couple of days and give the tubes a try.  The recently finished crack is working just fine, but all of the discussion of tube rolling made me feel like I needed to play around as well. Besides, the crack will look a lot cooler if the ST bottle tube works ;-)

Offline langendorf

Reply #158 on: December 14, 2011, 08:42:24 AM
Hi

Do any of you have som link for tubes om ebay?

I would like som tubes that give more lower end/bass

Sennheiser HD-800 - Crack

Offline Bolivar

Reply #160 on: December 14, 2011, 09:15:12 AM
I have one of those Svetlana 6N5S tubes, and yes the lower end is somewhat more pronounced than in a 6080.

Valtteri Nurmi

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #161 on: December 14, 2011, 09:34:45 AM
langendorf, If I remember correctly the RCA 6080/6AS7 tube usually has more base.

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline langendorf

Reply #162 on: December 15, 2011, 02:28:05 AM
Hi

I just orderet the 6H13C Svetlana. But i should i order the Svetlana 6N5S to?

If you have any suggestions on input tube. And links to ebay i would apriciate it

Offline Bolivar

Reply #163 on: December 15, 2011, 03:10:36 AM
The 6N5S(6H5C) is a military version of the 6H13C. I'd guess sonic differences between the two would be very small.

As for the driver tube, I like a Philips 6189W with my 6N5S. But these are a matter of taste, really. And your choice headphone will make a big difference on tube matching aswell.

Valtteri Nurmi

Offline langendorf

Reply #164 on: December 15, 2011, 03:48:53 AM
shure it