Tube Rolling w/Crack

Dr. Toobz · 750957

Offline BZ58

Reply #1620 on: May 27, 2017, 11:47:47 AM
What is the difference between 6SN7GT and 6SN7W?

(edit) After using google I found an answer. They're about the same, but the GT may be a bit stronger.

What is the difference between 6080WA, 6080WB, or just plain 6080? I haven't yet found an answer.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:53:06 PM by BZ58 »

Offline howzz1854

Reply #1621 on: May 27, 2017, 08:44:27 PM

(edit) After using google I found an answer. They're about the same, but the GT may be a bit stronger.

What is the difference between 6080WA, 6080WB, or just plain 6080? I haven't yet found an answer.

the 6080WB is a later revision of WA. they're exactly the same. so i was told.

Xonar Essence STX >> Schiit Bifrost >> Bottlehead Crack (TS 7236/RCA 5963) >> HD800s

Offline attmci

Reply #1622 on: May 28, 2017, 04:11:05 AM

Hi, BZ58, the Syl 6SN7W is one of the best 6SN7 tubes (military grade tube, long life, very very quite). They can be used as driver tubes with an adapter on Crack (same gains, but draw 0.6A).

http://www.fourwater.com/files/hist6sn7.txt

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:36:21 PM by attmci »

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1623 on: May 28, 2017, 04:20:07 AM
The WA, WB, and WC are ruggedized versions with higher shock, vibration, and operating temperature levels.  From memory the WB and WC have slightly higher voltage and dissipation levels too.  For a Crack there is no difference.

M.McCandless

Offline BZ58

Reply #1624 on: June 01, 2017, 02:08:44 AM
Thanks for the explanations.

Had static, thought it was the tubes, but found that I needed to reflow some of the connections, and now it works better than ever.

Offline howzz1854

Reply #1625 on: June 05, 2017, 03:11:47 PM
Pls don't kill me if you don't like it.  Everyone has his/her own preferences.  LOL

Seldom have I been able to recommend some tubes without reservation. 7316 is one of those.

i just got the 5814A tube today, all the way from Holland.

i must say i am not a fan. the sound stage is a lot smaller than the RCA 5963 that i fell in love with. i guess if you're more into the more intimate stage, the 5814A would be the one for you and it is also slightly softer/warmer more tubey than the 5963, which actually is a good thing consider there's still a slight sharpness with HD800s. but since i am all about the wider soundstage, i am going to have to settle for the RCA 5963, which now i have total 3 of them (2 as backup). there is just a huge layer of air with 5963 RCA that i can't let go of. :P

thanks for the reco tho, it's always good to try different tubes. they're not BAD by any means. i like that they're tubey and smooth. just doesn't have the level of wide sound stage and air that i love provided by the 5963 RCA, i do wish the RCA 5963 would have 5814A's kind of tubey smoothness tho. guess you can't have everything.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:24:57 PM by howzz1854 »

Xonar Essence STX >> Schiit Bifrost >> Bottlehead Crack (TS 7236/RCA 5963) >> HD800s

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1626 on: June 05, 2017, 04:16:58 PM
For what it's worth, the 5963 has a higher-purity cathode, making it suitable for computer operations where the tube may be cut off for extended periods.  Often in audio, these oddball requirements make a tube that sounds better; this is one of those times.

And yes, I did learn to program an IBM 709 computer which was tube-based - the 7094 was the transistorized version. This would have been the early sixties, when I was in high school. The computer occupied the basement of the Mechanical Engineering building at the University of Washington. Legend had it that there was one person whose full-time job was to go up and down the aisles with a shopping cart of spares, replacing tubes before they wore out. I never met the person, so I can't confirm the story, but I still tell it anyhow.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline howzz1854

Reply #1627 on: June 05, 2017, 05:07:23 PM
For what it's worth, the 5963 has a higher-purity cathode, making it suitable for computer operations where the tube may be cut off for extended periods.  Often in audio, these oddball requirements make a tube that sounds better; this is one of those times.

And yes, I did learn to program an IBM 709 computer which was tube-based - the 7094 was the transistorized version. This would have been the early sixties, when I was in high school. The computer occupied the basement of the Mechanical Engineering building at the University of Washington. Legend had it that there was one person whose full-time job was to go up and down the aisles with a shopping cart of spares, replacing tubes before they wore out. I never met the person, so I can't confirm the story, but I still tell it anyhow.  :^)

lol.. i would love to see that shopping cart.

btw what do you mean by "where the tubes may be cut off for extended periods". do you mean they shut down the power to the tube and turn it back on?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1628 on: June 06, 2017, 06:27:52 AM
In this case, "cutoff" means when the tube has a normal plate voltage and a large negative grid voltage (both relative to the cathode voltage). Thus very little current flows. In a digital computer, the tube is either conducting heavily or not at all. IT was discovered that when a tube is cut off like this for extended periods, the emissive outer layer of the cathode closes down and reduces the available current when it is needed - sometimes called cathode sleeping sickness. The solution is to uses a nickle cathode base material - I don't remember exactly, but I think it's especially low in silicon.

Paul Joppa

Offline howzz1854

Reply #1629 on: June 06, 2017, 11:02:21 AM
In this case, "cutoff" means when the tube has a normal plate voltage and a large negative grid voltage (both relative to the cathode voltage). Thus very little current flows. In a digital computer, the tube is either conducting heavily or not at all. IT was discovered that when a tube is cut off like this for extended periods, the emissive outer layer of the cathode closes down and reduces the available current when it is needed - sometimes called cathode sleeping sickness. The solution is to uses a nickle cathode base material - I don't remember exactly, but I think it's especially low in silicon.

Thanks for the explanation. I remember reading up on how tubes work and its relation to modern day semi conductor. I was wondering about whether or not in tube audio the negative charged cathold ever stops flowing to the plate or if that only happens on tube based computer environment.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #1630 on: June 20, 2017, 03:56:59 PM
Anyone have anything to say about the DEAFidelity Soviet 6H13Cs available at amazon?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline odi

Reply #1631 on: July 04, 2017, 03:18:36 AM
Hey guys, I'm in the process of building the Crack with Speedball and was wondering what tubes to get? I want a fast, detailed and fairly neutral sound from the amp paired with the HD650. I was considering the Tung Sol 7236 (Since the 5998 are out of my price range), Tung Sol 6AS7G or some cheaper Sovtek 6AS7G. Anyone have any input or other suggestions?
Also just double checking that the 7236 can be used with the crack without any mods needed?
Thanks

Offline calmiswar

Reply #1632 on: July 04, 2017, 06:56:06 PM
Hey everyone, a seller is willing to sell a pair of Tronix 6AS7G tubes. They're made in USA. Does anyone have any info on these tubes?

Offline attmci

Reply #1633 on: July 05, 2017, 03:23:45 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the process of building the Crack with Speedball and was wondering what tubes to get? I want a fast, detailed and fairly neutral sound from the amp paired with the HD650. I was considering the Tung Sol 7236 (Since the 5998 are out of my price range), Tung Sol 6AS7G or some cheaper Sovtek 6AS7G. Anyone have any input or other suggestions?
Also just double checking that the 7236 can be used with the crack without any mods needed?
Thanks

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=663.465

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1634 on: July 06, 2017, 11:24:09 AM
Hey everyone, a seller is willing to sell a pair of Tronix 6AS7G tubes. They're made in USA. Does anyone have any info on these tubes?
You'd have to provide a picture.  Tronix isn't a tube manufacturer, so the tube in question is likely to be an RCA.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man