Tube Rolling w/Crack

Dr. Toobz · 749303

Offline sinbonders

Reply #2340 on: August 02, 2021, 06:15:28 AM
Hey all,

I've been loving my Crack (pre Speedball), which came with a Sylvania 6080WB, but got a bug to try out some different tubes. So I got a Tung Sol 6080WA  for $40 based on the reviews here:
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/bottlehead-crack.120/page-3
The description of Sylvania vs Tung Sol made me wonder what I could be missing.
However, after trying both tubes, I'm not convinced the Tung Sol is much better. In fact, the Sylvania 6080WB almost seems more open and spacious. I also got a Westinghouse 6AS7GA for cheap just as something different to try. Both the Sylvania and Tung Sol seem better than the Westinghouse, but I almost prefer the stock Sylvania, maybe just because I'm used to it... Am I missing something? Am I crazy, or is the Sylvania 6080WB not as bad as the above review makes it seem? Are the Tung Sol 6080's overrated? Did I get an exceptional Sylvania?

Also, after I install the Speedball, do you think the preference of tubes will change? Is it worth swapping out the HP-branded 12au7? Maybe I should just quit since I don't know really what I'm looking for, mostly just FOMO.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2341 on: August 02, 2021, 07:04:51 AM
You should post a photo of the 6080s you have.  Sometimes a tube that has a brand printed on it will actually be manufactured by a different brand.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2342 on: August 02, 2021, 07:19:01 AM
Am I missing something?

Only that what you like is all that matters. Plug in the one you like best and don't worry about what someone else says. Once you get past the worry over what an interweb reviewer is trying to steer you towards this hobby gets much more rewarding.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline sinbonders

Reply #2343 on: August 02, 2021, 08:32:45 AM
Just for reference, here are my tubes.
Overall, after playing with them, I'm pretty impressed with the stock Sylvania tube.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 12:25:02 PM by sinbonders »

Offline watonwak

Reply #2344 on: August 02, 2021, 10:32:38 AM
Did i just get a great deal? i won an ebay auction that included what i think are 2 Philips branded Mullard 6080's along with 2 Thomson 6080WA for under £10 delivered
Do these look legit? the mullards seem to go for £100-£200 each online

All arrived well and sound great! I love the Phillips/Mullard 6080's, it pairs really well with my Sylvania 6SN7GTB Coin base.

I think i got a great deal due to a badly worded ebay listing

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros | Crack + Speedball + Alps Blue Velvet + Panasonic PP Output Caps

Offline sinbonders

Reply #2345 on: August 02, 2021, 12:50:00 PM
I think i got a great deal due to a badly worded ebay listing
This is my fantasy!

Offline charnich

Reply #2346 on: August 15, 2021, 04:13:40 PM
I'm wondering if someone well versed in describing tonal qualities can help. I don't have a huge amount of experience with A/B testing. I recently went ahead and pulled the trigger a TS 5998 for my crack+ speedball. I am able to hear that the sound is different than the stock Raytheon 6080 WC but it's a little confusing to me. I've read so much about how great the 5988's are in the crack and I realize that everyone has their own preferences in tubes, but I'm finding the 6080 more enjoyable to listen to. I feel the 6080 is more musical and certain instrument voicing seems to be richer and almost more forward sounding. With the 5998 I feel like the sound is overall more "flat" across different instrument voice ranges. I do feel like the bass is a little more tight and noticeable with the 5998 but it doesn't seem as musical to me. The 5998 seems a little boring in comparison.  I almost feel like the 5998 is more fatiguing for me and I feel the need to keep the volume down more as it's almost too much for my brain. It's not really painful per se. But I find with the 6080 I enjoy it at a louder volume (not just a higher knob setting but a higher actual volume) it's more inviting to listen to at a higher volume. BTW I'm not someone who listens to "loud" music. I typically like to listen to it just loud enough to hear the full range of frequencies. As an example I typically would listen to my crack at knob setting at about a 3-4 out of 10.

Can someone put into the appropriate "audiophile terminology" what it is I am trying to verbalize? Would it be that the the 5998 are more "linear"? Also from those who have tube rolled a lot with the crack, what are the qualities of the 5998 that people find to be desirable about it. I'm hoping that by understanding what is traditionally desirable about it I can perhaps develop an appreciation for it. Don't get me wrong, I'll ultimately listen to whichever one I enjoy the most but I'd like to educate myself in the process. I hope this is clear as I'm not really good at the moment verbalizing what I'm hearing.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 07:20:19 AM by charnich »

Chuck Nicholson

Offline Chris H

Reply #2347 on: August 16, 2021, 12:58:54 AM
An interesting post as I used to struggle with the same questions - almost as if I'm missing something because I can't hear what others can.
Knowing what others are describing may aid appreciation but will it make you like it more?

Once you get past obvious inadequacies, e.g. lacking detail, it all becomes very subjective.
In the end, if you prefer one over the other that's really all that matters.

For what it's worth I thought you gave a good description of what you can hear.
I still struggle to put into words and will often rely on the foot-tap test.
If my foot starts tapping involuntarily then I know I am hearing something I like, even if I cannot objectively describe what it is that is different.

I will be interested to see other responses though, since a common understanding of terminology would be useful.

Offline charnich

Reply #2348 on: August 16, 2021, 12:53:39 PM
I posted the following originally in the tube rolling thread but didn't get many replies so I decided to start a dedicated thread:

I'm wondering if someone well versed in describing tonal qualities can help. I don't have a huge amount of experience with A/B testing. I recently went ahead and pulled the trigger a TS 5998 for my crack+ speedball. I am able to hear that the sound is different than the stock Raytheon 6080 WC but it's a little confusing to me. I've read so much about how great the 5988's are in the crack and I realize that everyone has their own preferences in tubes, but I'm finding the 6080 more enjoyable to listen to. I feel the 6080 is more musical and certain instrument voicing seems to be richer and almost more forward sounding. With the 5998 I feel like the sound is overall more "flat" across different instrument voice ranges. I do feel like the bass is a little more tight and noticeable with the 5998 but it doesn't seem as musical to me. The 5998 seems a little boring in comparison.  I almost feel like the 5998 is more fatiguing for me and I feel the need to keep the volume down more as it's almost too much for my brain. It's not really painful per se. But I find with the 6080 I enjoy it at a louder volume (not just a higher knob setting but a higher actual volume) it's more inviting to listen to at a higher volume. BTW I'm not someone who listens to "loud" music. I typically like to listen to it just loud enough to hear the full range of frequencies. As an example I typically would listen to my crack at knob setting at about a 3-4 out of 10.

Can someone put into the appropriate "audiophile terminology" what it is I am trying to verbalize? Would it be that the the 5998 are more "linear"? Also from those who have tube rolled a lot with the crack, what are the qualities of the 5998 that people find to be desirable about it. I'm hoping that by understanding what is traditionally desirable about it I can perhaps develop an appreciation for it. Don't get me wrong, I'll ultimately listen to whichever one I enjoy the most but I'd like to educate myself in the process. I hope this is clear as I'm not really good at the moment verbalizing what I'm hearing.

FWIW I enjoy music with varied instruments, strings, piano, brass, lighter electronica, and smooth vocals. I don't listen to much pop, hard rock, metal, or rap.

Many thanks

Chuck Nicholson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2349 on: August 16, 2021, 01:13:03 PM
I posted the following originally in the tube rolling thread but didn't get many replies so I decided to start a dedicated thread
This absolutely belongs on the tube rolling thread, so I moved it back.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline charnich

Reply #2350 on: August 16, 2021, 01:20:56 PM
OK sounds good.

Thanks

Chuck Nicholson

Offline Mucker

Reply #2351 on: August 16, 2021, 05:41:55 PM
I believe the Crack circuit is outstanding and handles all of the tubes I've thrown at it with aplomb!

Literally, a $20 set of tubes (driver + power!) has left me totally amazed. Such an awesome kit!

Would be really fun to have a blind testing meetup, with plenty of tubes and plenty of beer of course. I'd bet there would be very low cost tubes that would surprise.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2352 on: August 16, 2021, 06:26:30 PM
I've read so much about how great the 5988's are in the crack and I realize that everyone has their own preferences in tubes, but I'm finding the 6080 more enjoyable to listen to.
Sometimes what we read on the internet can enlarge our expectations well beyond what reality will provide.

When people ask me open ended questions like these, I always suggest the least expensive experimenting that's possible to arrive at a satisfactory answer.  If you can buy and listen to a 5998, then sell it for about what you paid for it and conclude that it's not for you, that's all the better!  Personally I have a bunch of 5998s and graphite 6080s and I don't use any of them.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline charnich

Reply #2353 on: August 21, 2021, 03:06:27 AM
Paul, I'm not quite ready to sell the 5998 and I'm not ready to conclude its not for me....yet. I want to listen to it at least 100 hours or so and then go back to the other tube and see what my impressions are at that point. Don't get me wrong, it sounds wonderful either way, I'm just trying to get a feel for what it is that people like so much about the 5998s (for those who think its the bees' knees at least). Plus I think I got a fair deal for the tube at 80 bucks so I may keep it for a spare for when tubes are no longer available on the used market.

A part of me thinks that people like the 5998 because it "looks cool" which is does. ;-)

Which tubes are your favorites for the crack, Paul?

Chuck Nicholson

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2354 on: August 21, 2021, 03:21:39 AM
The Crack/C2A circuit has been a lot of fun for me. I initially thought I would want to roll tubes in it and found that the stock tubes (nothing fancy) sound outstanding and I've not rolled a thing. Every tube is a new experience and you'll be surprised by what you like compared to others. In the end it comes down to what makes you happy.

Aaron Johnson