6080-Mullard and RCA
5998-Tung-Sol
7236-Cetron
6AS7G-GE, Raytheon, RCA

12AU7-Mullard, Telefunken ribbed plate, Raytheon black plate, RCA Cleartop
12BH7-RCA black plate, Sylvania Grey Plate, Sylvania Curved Black Plate
6085 (ECC80) -Amperex "PQ"

Input tubes;

1) 12BH7 Sylvania Curved black plate-Amazing tube!

2) 12BH7 RCA black plate-Also a great tube, just a little on the dark side.

3) The Amperex was extremely nice, very sharp imagery, yet smooth highs. Unfortunately, it died on me. Became very microphonic then lost a channel. Until then, it was vying for the top of the list. Oh, well.

Of the AU types the Telefunken is best, IMO. Little shy in the bass, but a great sounding tube. I also like the sound of the Mullard which is more full on the bottom but not quite as detailed.

But, I think I'm sticking with the taller BH type tubes. It's a more dynamic sound.

Power tubes;
1) Hands down the big RCA with the black plates. I like the 6AS7G tubes over the others else overall, it's just a great sounding design.

2) The Raytheon is also black plate and the sound is very close to the RCA.

3) Following at a close third is the TS 5998. Very nice, smooth tube, especially with Classical and Jazz.

4) The 6080s were alright, with the Mullard having a darker but more full bodied sound than the RCA.

5) The 7236 I don't care for at all. Sharp imagery, very quiet backround, but way too bright for my ears. Almost as fatiguing as solid state.

So, far the best combination is the RCA 6AS7G Black Plate driven by the Sylvania 12BH7 Curved Black Plate. Deep, tight, powerful bass and amazing imagery. Like having the band in your head.  Cymbals just totally shimmer.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:38:13 PM by blstrek »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #526 on: June 15, 2013, 08:17:31 PM
I have a question.  I'm currently running a 12BH7 and a 6AS7 tube setup in my Crack.  Even though the Speedball will allow the 12BH7 without mods,  will the 12BH7 have any adverse effects on the 6AS7, such as tube life?

The BH7 bumps the plate voltage of the driver stage down a little bit, which in turn also bumps the cathode voltage of the 6080 down a tad too.

The 6080 is run fairly lightly, so having more plate to cathode voltage with the same current will mean more dissipation, but still way below the threshold of doing any harm. 

I would mention, however, that there will be a decrease in heat generated by the TIP50C, and this may not be such a bad thing (though the heat through the MJE350's will go up a hair at the same time).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline danosol

Reply #527 on: June 16, 2013, 09:26:09 AM
Dave

I'm running the same setup except I'm using the RCA 6AS7G with an RCA 12BH7.  Not a lot of time logged in yet, but I find this combination helps with the slight fogginess I get with the 6AS7G and really tightens things up without loosing that toobey goodness.

Offline blstrek

Reply #528 on: June 16, 2013, 10:56:48 PM
I have one of those with black plates layin' around here somewhere. Have to give it a try. I know it was very good with the 5998 and the GE 6AS7. The RCA has much longer plates, IIRC.

Dave

Offline Nick Tam

• "Crack on Crack"
Reply #529 on: June 17, 2013, 05:10:53 AM
So far I've run;

6080-Mullard and RCA
5998-Tung-Sol
7236-Cetron
6AS7G-GE, Raytheon, RCA

Input tubes;

3) The Amperex was extremely nice, very sharp imagery, yet smooth highs. Unfortunately, it died on me. Became very microphonic then lost a channel. Until then, it was vying for the top of the list. Oh, well.

Of the AU types the Telefunken is best, IMO. Little shy in the bass, but a great sounding tube. I also like the sound of the Mullard which is more full on the bottom but not quite as detailed.

But, I think I'm sticking with the taller BH type tubes. It's a more dynamic sound.

Power tubes;
1) Hands down the big RCA with the black plates. I like the 6AS7G tubes over the others else overall, it's just a great sounding design.

3) Following at a close third is the TS 5998. Very nice, smooth tube, especially with Classical and Jazz.

4) The 6080s were alright, with the Mullard having a darker but more full bodied sound than the RCA.

5) The 7236 I don't care for at all. Sharp imagery, very quiet backround, but way too bright for my ears. Almost as fatiguing as solid state.

So, far the best combination is the RCA 6AS7G Black Plate driven by the Sylvania 12BH7 Curved Black Plate. Deep, tight, powerful bass and amazing imagery. Like having the band in your head.  Cymbals just totally shimmer.

Dave

I've pretty much got the same 12BH7 and E80CC 6085 tubes you have there. been there, tried it, liked it, but then i discovered the 6SN7 lol

Bottlehead Crack

Source: Fostex HP-A4
Cans: Sennheiser HD700
Sylvania GB6080 + Sylvania VT-231

Offline RGartner

Reply #530 on: June 21, 2013, 02:40:45 PM
So far I've run;

6080-Mullard and RCA
5998-Tung-Sol
7236-Cetron
6AS7G-GE, Raytheon, RCA

Input tubes;

Power tubes;

Dave

When you are speaking about these tubes "RCA 6AS7G Black Plate driven by the Sylvania 12BH7 Curved Black Plate" are these compatible with the Crack without the speedball? I just completed the kit and while it sounds great I've been trying to get up to speed on all the tube rolling. Thanks for any info.

Offline Nick Tam

• "Crack on Crack"
Reply #531 on: June 21, 2013, 11:06:20 PM
So far I've run;

6080-Mullard and RCA
5998-Tung-Sol
7236-Cetron
6AS7G-GE, Raytheon, RCA

Input tubes;

Power tubes;

Dave

When you are speaking about these tubes "RCA 6AS7G Black Plate driven by the Sylvania 12BH7 Curved Black Plate" are these compatible with the Crack without the speedball? I just completed the kit and while it sounds great I've been trying to get up to speed on all the tube rolling. Thanks for any info.

Yes but the results may or may not be optimal. but this has been discussed many times. The 12BH7 draws more current but is within the design limits of the PT-3 transformer, Doc mentioned that it is fine, perhaps you should dig through the Crack forum, because the 12BH7 has been brought up quite alot

Bottlehead Crack

Source: Fostex HP-A4
Cans: Sennheiser HD700
Sylvania GB6080 + Sylvania VT-231

Offline RGartner

Reply #532 on: June 22, 2013, 07:22:14 AM
Thanks for the help Nick. I ordered a Mullard CV4003 from upscale audio. Ill start there, looking around for a Mullard 6080 to try as well. Ill get to the Speedball upgrade after I have some time messing around with the basic configuration. This is the first time I have listened to a tube amp,  it sounds awesome, just fun to play around with different sounds now.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #533 on: June 22, 2013, 05:41:13 PM
The 12BH7 will function in the Crack circuit, though at a lower plate voltage than originally targeted.  This will lead to lower cathode voltages and a slightly different operating point on the 6080, but nothing that will lead to the destruction of the amplifier.  (It may actually run cooler with with 12BH7)

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline RGartner

Reply #534 on: June 23, 2013, 08:31:46 AM
Good info, thanks for that. I went with Mullard CV4003 and  Rca 6as7g 1951, just messing around for now. I think Ill probably grab the speedball here pretty soon and try out some other combos, gets addicting messing around with this amp :)

-r

Offline blstrek

Reply #535 on: June 24, 2013, 01:49:02 PM

I've pretty much got the same 12BH7 and E80CC 6085 tubes you have there. been there, tried it, liked it, but then i discovered the 6SN7 lol
[/quote]

I have a pile of 6SN7s and an adapter on the way.

Dave

Offline blstrek

Reply #536 on: June 24, 2013, 01:51:46 PM
[/quote]

The 6AS7G is compatible with non-Speedball Crack. The 12BH you should run with Speedball, IMO.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:53:18 PM by blstrek »

Offline drowningcactis

Reply #537 on: June 27, 2013, 05:46:03 PM
would a 6sn7 tube work in place of the 12au7 with an adapter? ive been reading they sound better than 12au7. i don't see why it wouldn't work but I haven't seen anyone do it with crack yet. is there a reason for that? I really want to try a tung sol 6sn7gtb.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #538 on: June 27, 2013, 07:24:41 PM
would a 6sn7 tube work in place of the 12au7 with an adapter? ive been reading they sound better than 12au7. i don't see why it wouldn't work but I haven't seen anyone do it with crack yet. is there a reason for that? I really want to try a tung sol 6sn7gtb.

Yes, there is a thread titled "tube adapters" regarding using these.

Tube Adapters

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline drowningcactis

Reply #539 on: June 28, 2013, 04:14:58 AM
I feel dumb because I didn't even read the post above mine lol the irony. ordering a couple 6sn7s right now