Tube Rolling w/Crack

Dr. Toobz · 748421

Offline serpent68

Reply #675 on: January 05, 2014, 08:46:24 PM
Is it worse than running a 12BH7 without the mod? Or should I really just pick one or the other and stick with it?

I've given up trying to figure out the cause of the buzzing sound at start-up.  I pair the TS 5998 exclusively with the Amperex 7316, and the Bendix 6080WB with the Philips E80CC.  Both combinations sound excellent.

Has anyone tried the Svetlana Winged C 6H13C?  These are relatively cheap on ebay, I wonder if they are any good in the Crack. 

Offline ashneel

Reply #676 on: January 05, 2014, 10:29:10 PM
Is it worse than running a 12BH7 without the mod? Or should I really just pick one or the other and stick with it?

I've given up trying to figure out the cause of the buzzing sound at start-up.  I pair the TS 5998 exclusively with the Amperex 7316, and the Bendix 6080WB with the Philips E80CC.  Both combinations sound excellent.

Has anyone tried the Svetlana Winged C 6H13C?  These are relatively cheap on ebay, I wonder if they are any good in the Crack.

Dude where did you get the Bendix? I want to them out. I have a couple of TS5998 and paired with a Mullard ECC82, I love the sound. I'll be curious to see if it can get any better with the Bendix

Offline serpent68

Reply #677 on: January 06, 2014, 04:03:37 AM

Dude where did you get the Bendix? I want to them out. I have a couple of TS5998 and paired with a Mullard ECC82, I love the sound. I'll be curious to see if it can get any better with the Bendix

I got the Bendix off a seller from the HeadFi forum.  Its a really hard tube to find, I'm also looking out for another one as  a spare.

The Bendix has better dynamics and bass slam compared to the TS 5998.  It also sounds more linear and clean as well.  On the other hand, the TS 5998 has a fuller mid range and is airier and more transparent at the top.  Much like triode vs ultra-linear modes in an amp.  I'm perfectly happy with either one, both are excellent tubes in their own rights.

Offline bdr529

Reply #678 on: January 08, 2014, 03:17:08 PM
What're the voltages at terminals 1, 5, 7, and 9 with the BH7 and 5998?

Okay got voltages. This is with the 1.2K resistor mod. Speedball is installed.

With the BH7 and 6080. No problems.
1 - 108
5 - 105
7 - 130 no change with volume
9 - 125 no change with volume

With the BH7 and 5998. Buzzing at 0 volume.
1 - 105
5 - 105
7 - 114  volume > 0
7-  109 volume = 0
9 - 112 volume > 0
9 - 100 volume = 0

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:23:53 PM by bdr529 »

Offline NightFlight

Reply #679 on: January 08, 2014, 03:26:18 PM
Oh, I don't care what anybody else spends, just me.

I figure if I spent more on accessories that I did on the original item, I would have been better off just buying something better in the first place.

Sorry, to dredge this up but I came across it as a result of a search.

I couldn't disagree more. I believe tweaking existing circuits can bring about sonic improvements that are not otherwise possible with design changes. You can have the best circuit design in the world, but if you use crappy parts, your going to muddy the water and you'll never realize the full potential. It's a cumulative effect. Alternately, one bad part in the signal path can impact the whole circuit.

Good design with good parts is the way to go.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:29:40 PM by NightFlight »

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #680 on: January 08, 2014, 03:36:03 PM
Oh, I don't care what anybody else spends, just me.

I figure if I spent more on accessories that I did on the original item, I would have been better off just buying something better in the first place.

Sorry, to dredge this up but I came across it as a result of a search.

I couldn't disagree more. I believe tweaking existing circuits can bring about sonic improvements that are not otherwise possible with design changes. You can have the best circuit design in the world, but if you use crappy parts, your going to muddy the water and you'll never realize the full potential. It's a cumulative effect. Alternately, one bad part in the signal path can impact the whole circuit.

Good design with good parts is the way to go.

I'd say the opposite. You can spend $1200 on tweaks to the Quickie, and it won't sound as good as a stock BeePre. You'd be amazed at how many Sterophile class A components use inexpensive parts.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #681 on: January 08, 2014, 04:20:04 PM
You'd be amazed at how many Sterophile class A components use inexpensive parts.

Which is why most of us are, likely, here.  Every product is built to a price point.  Many time parts are substituted that are not necessarily the best design spec, but are in inventory and cheaper because of the quantity purchased.  From a manufacturing/inventory control aspect, it is usually not good business to purchase and stock the "perfect" component for each use.  But, as a DIY'er, I probably can, to my budget and taste.  Big difference!

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:22:45 PM by galyons »

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #682 on: January 08, 2014, 08:16:19 PM
Yeah, on the other end, there are the guys who buy poorly designed single ended amps from overseas, then expect replacing some capacitors to take the performance of such an amplifier well beyond what it could ever be. 

Throwing money at boutique parts won't fix a design issue, but a different design will. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #683 on: January 08, 2014, 08:31:20 PM
Yeah, on the other end, there are the guys who buy poorly designed single ended amps from overseas, then expect replacing some capacitors to take the performance of such an amplifier well beyond what it could ever be. 

Throwing money at boutique parts won't fix a design issue, but a different design will.

Totally agree.  A good design can be made to sound better, or perhaps more accurately, to one's taste, with some well chosen quality parts.  (Please note that $$$ cost or boutique labels are no guarantee of quality!)  Nothing helps a bad design other than starting over with a clean breadboard!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline bdr529

Reply #684 on: January 09, 2014, 02:43:16 AM
Caucasian Blackplate, any thoughts on the voltages you asked for?

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,663.msg53263.html#msg53263

Thanks

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #685 on: January 09, 2014, 07:08:59 AM
Caucasian Blackplate, any thoughts on the voltages you asked for?

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,663.msg53263.html#msg53263

Thanks

I don't see anything in there that would explain any buzzing.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline NightFlight

Reply #686 on: January 09, 2014, 05:00:45 PM
Weird, I've been listening to the 5814/6808WA combo very happily for the last couple weeks. Now a couple drinks and relaxed evening - totally called for the RCA clear top. The 5814 sounded completely rolled off to me tonight, but it never has before. The detail in the top end of the RCA is just great.

Is it the Alcohol?  :o

Offline ashneel

Reply #687 on: January 09, 2014, 06:41:05 PM
Weird, I've been listening to the 5814/6808WA combo very happily for the last couple weeks. Now a couple drinks and relaxed evening - totally called for the RCA clear top. The 5814 sounded completely rolled off to me tonight, but it never has before. The detail in the top end of the RCA is just great.

Is it the Alcohol?  :o
Booze just makes everything look and sound better  ;D
The clear tops always sounded piercing to me...even with RCA 6AS7Gs + HD650

Offline SNSDluv

Reply #688 on: January 10, 2014, 10:07:27 AM
Hey guys,

I am looking to replace my output tube as it appears to be producing humming sound in the background. I am currently running it with Modi from Schiit and HD700. I am wondering what is a good tube. I am looking for something that is warm, more prompt bass and less treble? Thanks!

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #689 on: January 10, 2014, 11:25:06 AM
Hey guys,

I am looking to replace my output tube as it appears to be producing humming sound in the background. I am currently running it with Modi from Schiit and HD700. I am wondering what is a good tube. I am looking for something that is warm, more prompt bass and less treble? Thanks!
Welcome to the forum!

A while back I bought a quantity of used 6080/6AS7 on E-Bay (untested and cheap). It helps to have a tester but isnt entirely necessary. I had to cull out a couple of duds but in general I wound up with a nice collection to roll through. I found that I always came back to a 6AS7G Chatham from the late 1940's. Good thing too because there were a couple of them in the lot I bought.

Sometimes you can pick up a mixed lot for about the same price as a single new or NOS tube. That way you can do some rolling of your own. You might just find one that is extra special in your system.

Aside from my experiences there are 45 pages of discussion in this thread. I'd recommend, if you haven't done so already, spending a little time reading through them. 

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:31:37 PM by Natural Sound »