^^^ try to pair it with 6SN7 guys
EDIT ;some power tubes prefer larger driver tubes ;
GEC A1834-6AS7G+ 6SN7=win
GEC A1834-6AS7G+12AU7=not that great
5998+6SN7 =not that great
Bendix red bank +6SN7 =win
Bendix+12AU7/E80CC=suck
TS 7236+12AU7=win
Which 6SN7 tube did you pair with the Bendix?  I've tried a Sylvania VT231 with the TS 5998 and was underwhelmed by it.

best two -which will bring out the sparkle ,detail ,voice and make it very balanced are
RCA JAN 6SN7-GT/VT-231 U.S. NAVY
smoke glass 1940s
TS CTL 6SN7GT Black glass U.S. NAVY 1942

P.S. here is a wealth of information ,characteristics and great read on tubes in general

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/search/label/6SN7

EDIT; here is a cheapo that also works well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321355025737?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 02:18:23 PM by xcoolhandx »

Offline ashneel

Reply #766 on: April 14, 2014, 10:18:29 PM
What are your favourite 6sn7 tubes?? Anyone has used some Kenrad (vt231) black glass tubes?

Offline Kris

Reply #767 on: April 15, 2014, 02:53:56 AM
Try Raytheon VT-231, it's my favorite 6SN7 tube...just my 2 cents :)

Offline Joshewah

Reply #768 on: April 18, 2014, 04:22:48 AM
Well, I admit I was wrong about tube rolling.

Up until yesterday I've only had 4 tubes for my Crack; Ratheon 6080, Sino 6AS7G, Electro Harmonix 12AU7, and JJ 12AU7.

I had tried the 4 combinations I could do with these tubes, all of which sounded relatively similar, so I kind of ruled tube rolling as being audiophile BS and wishful thinking.

On a whim I looked into RCA clear top 12AU7s and found a good deal for a strong tube for only $10. I figured why not try it? This is the tube that always seems to be described as an affordable jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none.

I have to say this tube fixed some issues that I had noticed that I didn't realize were being caused by (or at least emphasized by) the new production 12AU7s I had. The RCA tube smoothed out this weird distortion I was hearing in the upper mids or lower treble that sounded like static or a glassy grating sound. The RCA also sort of bumped and rounded the bass a bit. Enjoying my Beyer DT880s even more now.

I wouldn't say the sound has drastically changed like you read on other forums where people go on a long tangent peppered with pretty words about how the sound could save the lives of starving children in Africa, it's not that drastic of a change, but its enough be noticeable and improve the listening experience and I'm all about that.

Pretty cool!  ;)

Just thought I'd share the moment I had my tube epiphany.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:29:53 AM by Joshewah »

Offline ashneel

Reply #769 on: April 18, 2014, 04:30:44 AM
Well, I admit I was wrong about tube rolling.

Up until yesterday I've only had 4 tubes for my Crack; Ratheon 6080, Sino 6AS7G, Electro Harmonix 12AU7, and JJ 12AU7.

I had tried the 4 combinations I could do with these tubes, all of which sounded relatively similar, so I kind of ruled tube rolling as being audiophile BS and wishful thinking.

On a whim I looked into RCA clear top 12AU7s and found a good deal for a strong tube for only $10. I figured why not try it? This is the tube that always seems to be described as an affordable jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none.

I have to say this tube fixed some issues that I had noticed that I didn't realize were being caused by (or at least emphasized by) the new production 12AU7s I had. The RCA tube smoothed out this weird distortion I was hearing in the upper mids or lower treble that sounded like static or a glassy grating sound. The RCA also sort of bumped and rounded the bass a bit. Enjoying my Beyer DT880s even more now.

I wouldn't say the sound has drastically changed like you read on other forums where people go on a long tangent peppered with pretty words about how the sound could save the lives of starving children in Africa, it's not drastic of a change, but its enough be noticeable and improve the listening experience and I'm all about that.

Pretty cool!  ;)

Just thought I'd share the moment I had my tube epiphany.
Why not try the RCA 6AS7G too? It can be bought for around $20, and to me its darn good. Apparetly combined with the clear tops, its a great sounding combination..

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #770 on: April 18, 2014, 04:38:36 AM
I wouldn't say the sound has drastically changed like you read on other forums where people go on a long tangent peppered with pretty words about how the sound could save the lives of starving children in Africa, it's not that drastic of a change, but its enough be noticeable and improve the listening experience and I'm all about that.

Post of the week!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Joshewah

Reply #771 on: April 18, 2014, 04:39:42 AM
Why not try the RCA 6AS7G too? It can be bought for around $20, and to me its darn good. Apparetly combined with the clear tops, its a great sounding combination..

Oh, believe me, I've unleashed a monster with this epiphany and have like 8 tubes headed my way in the mail. RCA 6AS7G is on my short list.

Any input on grey plate vs black plate regarding the RCA 6AS7G?

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #772 on: April 18, 2014, 05:06:00 AM
I will admit to wrongly righting of the RCA 6as7g early on in with my experiments with rolling. In retrospect I don't think I could have paired it very well at the time. When I tried it the other day I was presently surprise my memory was of a rather flat and recessed sound and that was not what I was hearing this time round.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Joshewah

Reply #773 on: April 18, 2014, 11:59:20 AM
Just had a Svetlana "flying C" arrive in the mail today. Can't say I notice too much difference between any of my 3 power tubes. Seems the gain/driver tube is the one responsible for most of the flavor between tubes, yes?

Offline serpent68

Reply #774 on: April 18, 2014, 01:12:28 PM
Just had a Svetlana "flying C" arrive in the mail today. Can't say I notice too much difference between any of my 3 power tubes. Seems the gain/driver tube is the one responsible for most of the flavor between tubes, yes?
I've tried the Svetlana winged-C, and I was not too impressed by it.  Sounds average, and a bit flat and un-involving... but that's comparing it to the Tungsol 5998.  The 5998 does bring a big step up in performance, more so than the various input tubes I've tried.  Unfortunately the cost has gone insane recently.

My favorite input tube now is the CBS Hytron 5814A.

Offline krystalnx

Reply #775 on: April 18, 2014, 02:49:52 PM
For all (newb, like me) reader, something have to be said ; the stock choice I've got on my crack were *very* good.

I've tryed to roll both input and output tube, with popular (in forum) but reasonnably priced alternative (10-40$ each, ~200$ total), and right now my preferred setup is still what got shipped with my crack (especially for the input tube, which I'm not sure be seems to be a RCA 12AU7 blackplate).

I'm not saying the listening can't be improved, but I think you should see that as a way to tune your crack to the sound you prefer, not as an absolute upgrade, as you *may* prefer the "stock" sound after spending money :)

Offline Joshewah

Reply #776 on: April 19, 2014, 04:08:44 AM
I'm not saying the listening can't be improved, but I think you should see that as a way to tune your crack to the sound you prefer, not as an absolute upgrade, as you *may* prefer the "stock" sound after spending money :)

Also as a newbie, I agree. It's very easy to get carried away tube rolling.

I have to say though, the RCA I replaced my new production tubes with really smoothed out the rough edges I was hearing. I hate describing sound with text but that the best way I can describe it

Sounds like you started out stock with a strong tube!

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple!
Reply #777 on: April 19, 2014, 08:36:20 PM
Hi all.
I've tried with my Crack the Raytheon 6080, the RCA 6080 and the RCA 6AS7G and if there is a difference between those three, I am not sure I have heard a difference. I'm not saying that there is not difference, but to my ears if there is one , in minimal.
Same thing goes for the 12AU7 (NOS) of different manufacturers
(RCA. Sylvania....)
With the stock tubes, the Crack sounds pretty good
and I will stop spending my hard earned money on tubes that makes
very little difference, to my ears anyway.
If there a tube that is a lot better sounding
and I mean a lot better for less than 50 USD,
then share you finding with us
and I might buy it.

Guy 13

By the way,
is the Chatham 5998 really better sounding than the rest of the crowd ?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:37:58 PM by Guy 13 »

Rega P3/Exact MM / Rega Apollo / Decware SE84C+ / Bottlehead Crack / Sennheiser HD650 / Grace Mondo RIT/ Omega 7F OB dipole / Double Eminence 12" Acoustinator OB dipole.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #778 on: April 19, 2014, 09:20:01 PM
Hi all.
I've tried with my Crack the Raytheon 6080, the RCA 6080 and the RCA 6AS7G and if there is a difference between those three, I am not sure I have heard a difference. I'm not saying that there is not difference, but to my ears if there is one , in minimal.
Same thing goes for the 12AU7 (NOS) of different manufacturers
(RCA. Sylvania....)
With the stock tubes, the Crack sounds pretty good
and I will stop spending my hard earned money on tubes that makes
very little difference, to my ears anyway.
If there a tube that is a lot better sounding
and I mean a lot better for less than 50 USD,
then share you finding with us
and I might buy it.

Guy 13

By the way,
is the Chatham 5998 really better sounding than the rest of the crowd ?

Guy re the 5998 short answer yes its a very good tube, if your patient they can be found $75-$85 nos from dealers or less for used off of classifieds.

The Mullard 6080 is one of my favourite tubes $25-$35 I use it more than my 5998.
Also the Chatham 6as7g is worth a try if you like female vocals around $15

Mullard 6080 is one of my favourites   

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline ashneel

Reply #779 on: April 20, 2014, 07:53:31 PM

Oh, believe me, I've unleashed a monster with this epiphany and have like 8 tubes headed my way in the mail. RCA 6AS7G is on my short list.

Any input on grey plate vs black plate regarding the RCA 6AS7G?
I have both the black and grey plates. People say the black ones sound better, but to me they sounded the same..and they cost pretty much the same too