Help for Building The S.E.X. 2.1,Impedance Switch and C4S

i luvmusic 2 · 8439

Offline i luvmusic 2

Hi!
   Since i painted all the TRANSFORMERS for the SEX Kit,For the  choke and the Output Transformers do i need to scrape some of the paint on the TAB so the screws can have a contact on the transformers?

THANKS!

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 01:35:19 PM
Yes.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 12:12:28 PM
THANK YOU!

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:36:22 AM
I just finished my SEX KIT just now and i'am loving it so far.........
I finished it without any issue/problem.

THANK YOU!Bottlehead for such a nice KIT (SEX and CRACK for me).

THANK YOU!

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 03:31:34 AM
 I installed the Imp. switch  last night then put the switch into 4 ohms tap the amp gets very quiet no more slight HUM,I tried 4 and 8 ohms taps they are both quiet but i prefer 8 ohms tap to my ears it have a little more bass than the 4 ohms tap.

Installed the C4S this morning and fired up the amp to my surprised everything sounded really good.

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 02:40:02 AM
Hi!
  My DAC have a Balanced output so i would like to use that for the S.E.X. amp input,I would like to know how to rewire the  RCA input to  3 pin XLR(Balanced Input)?I'am thinking of running the S.E.X. in full Balanced  by using Balanced Input and Output(I have the Imp.switch installed).Do i need to replace the POT or it's ok to used the existing pot for my intended applications?

Thanks You!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 08:49:56 AM
My DAC have a Balanced output so i would like to use that for the S.E.X. amp input,
I would have to ask why?  There are certainly times when a balanced output is useful, but this is generally when you have a very long run of cables between components.  Depending on the component, the balanced outputs can sound worse.
I would like to know how to rewire the  RCA input to  3 pin XLR(Balanced Input)?
You will need a pair of 10K:10K input transformers.  I like Sowter 3575's, which are $160 per pair.
I'am thinking of running the S.E.X. in full Balanced  by using Balanced Input and Output(I have the Imp.switch installed).Do i need to replace the POT or it's ok to used the existing pot for my intended applications?
You'd want to add loading resistors to the output side of the 10K transformers, but the pot will work fine.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 03:04:21 PM
 The reason i want to run everything in Balanced the HD650 and SEX sounds good in balanced (to my ears) and since the DAC is capable of balanced that is why i thought about it.
  If i need to buy the  Sowter 3575 just to run in balanced without knowing if these MOD will make the SEX sound better or worst for now i will leaved the SEX amp the way it is It's already  a good sounding amp.

THANK YOU!

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 03:49:34 PM
Yeah, it's fairly easy to make an acceptable balanced output on a single-ended circuit, but an acceptable balanced input is much more difficult - you need either a transformer or a different tube circuit with at least one more triode per channel.

Paul Joppa

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 02:59:07 AM
I thought it was that easy.

Thank you for your reply!

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 09:28:13 AM
I screwed up this resistor,Is it safe to run the amp like this while i'am waiting for the replacement?

THANK YOU!
(http://) https://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1235009/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 03:47:38 AM
I want to replace the Solen 1.5uf 630V caps with this Mundorf 1.5uf 600V is it safe to use this 600V caps.THANK YOU!

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 04:55:14 PM
Yes, 600v is close enough to 630v to be no problem. Don't go lower in voltage, however. IIRC, Mundorf also makes some 800v caps - I've never heard any report on their sound as parafeed outputs but I'd be interested to hear from anyone ...

Paul Joppa

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 05:20:32 PM
Yes, 600v is close enough to 630v to be no problem. Don't go lower in voltage, however. IIRC, Mundorf also makes some 800v caps - I've never heard any report on their sound as parafeed outputs but I'd be interested to hear from anyone ...

I used the Mundorf Silver/Oil in mine and found them a very nice improvement over the Solens, specifically better high end and low end extension which were a little rolled off with the stock caps. I chose the Silver/Oil on the basis of many caps roundup reviews i read all pegged them as being the most neutral sounding of the Mundorf range. The fact i haven't changed a thing with the amp since then really speaks to how happy i am with them.  I do have a pair of Jupiter flat stacked wax caps to try at some stage too, they popped up on eBay at a price i couldn't resist  ::)

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=5316.msg53501#msg53501

Loquah installed the Silver/Gold/Oil versions into his which are known for being warmer in the mid range, which coincidentally is exactly how he characterized them at the bottom of his post below.

https://www.head-fi.org/t/683012/bottlehead-amplifier-discussion-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline#post_9831527

You did ask...

M.McCandless

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 09:11:32 AM

THANK YOU!