CanJam Chicago

ironbut · 8496

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 05:01:40 AM
While you folks were having a great time listening, I was hard at work over at my buddy's shop doing some work on the base for the Crack, sanding, dying, and finishing, plus machined the top plate for some hold-down bolts and the filament config switch.  Today will begin painting  of the plate and when that has hardened, assembly can begin for real.  Coming home to read these impressions of the amp was just the icing on the cake and made me feel doubly good about the work I just finished.  Also built a new base for the s.e.x. amp out of ply-boo -- both for a better fit and this one is in square.  This is a vetical grain carbonized bamboo plywood that my buddy tells me will look great either natural or tinted with a yellow analine dye to give a gold/honey/amber hue.  All in all a really productive and fulfilling day working on my BH projects.

If Steve is reading, what were you using for your source at the show?

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ironbut

Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 07:27:55 PM
Hey Jim,

I use a Metric Halo ULN-2 that I've done some upgrading on. It's a pro audio firewire interface with pretty nice converters on board. That goes to my MacBook on which I'm currently using the Pure Music player software. I have a pretty good supply of 24 bit music files that are downloaded and a few that I've recorded myself.

steve koto

Offline ironbut

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 12:33:08 PM
I'm about 2.5 hours drive North of Chicago.

So are a lot of states!
Having lived in California for quite a while, I forgot what it was like to be in a part of the country where it doesn't take all day to drive from one end of the state to another. On Friday a bunch of us went to a fantastic brew pub called "Three Floyds" . We had a tasty lunch and lots and lots of excellent beers.
While we were driving there, I kept thinking, "Huh,.. all these towns are named after states." It turned out, they were states!
Right off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you which state the "Three Floyds" is located in.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:31:23 PM by ironbut »

steve koto

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 02:28:13 PM
While we were driving there, I kept thinking, "Huh,.. all these towns are named after states." It turned out, they were states!
Reminds me of the time my father flew back east for the first time. After the great plains, he looked down and spotted the first few hills in hours. Thought to himself "Great - foothills! Soon I'll finally see the Appalachian mountains!" Then they landed. In Boston.

Paul Joppa

Offline ironbut

Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 10:51:35 AM
For you guys that didn't make it there and would like to know what one of these events is like, here's a a thread with some picture from my pal Peter (who always gets some great shots) on an alternate headphone site Headcase (kind of the Bizzaro version of Headfi).
All the pictures of me look like I'm either asleep or pissed off. (I wasn't mad?)

http://www.head-case.org/forums/meets/7557-canjam-2010-a-71.html

steve koto

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 11:06:55 AM
Hey Steve,

Was that monsterous home-brew amp Nate Maher's "Menace" by any chance?  That would be a two chassis, 60 poun beast of an amp.  Probably not easy to miss.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ironbut

Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 12:49:06 PM
Hey Jim,

No, as far as I know, Nate didn't bring a rig to this one. He was one of the guys that took the 2.5 hour lunch with us at Hot Dougs on Saturday though. Funny guy!

The amp I was referring to was the Silver Ghost built by nikongod (Ari) which is a two chassis amp with 6X 6SN7's or their subs.

steve koto