The Climax speaker

Doc B. · 50296

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 01:40:14 AM
My point was inaccurately stated.  I shouldn't have assumed the impedance curve didn't dip to 2 ohms.  I'm aware that most speakers have very high impedance magnitudes and angles at resonances.  But my point was that the Climax were intended for SET amps.  That is what I meant by benign.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 06:50:04 AM
My point was inaccurately stated.  I shouldn't have assumed the impedance curve didn't dip to 2 ohms.  I'm aware that most speakers have very high impedance magnitudes and angles at resonances.  But my point was that the Climax were intended for SET amps.  That is what I meant by benign.
Thanks, Grainger. I think I knew what your point was, but there's so much misconception out there about speaker impedance and SETs that I just grabbed the excuse to put my thoughts down.

Paul Joppa

Offline d052057

Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 02:45:06 PM
I think the proper way or the correct term to say it is that the Climax has just a little bit less bass than the ADV A4's instead of saying 'lacking of bass'.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 06:25:54 PM
I think the proper way or the correct term to say it is that the Climax has just a little bit less bass than the ADV A4's instead of saying 'lacking of bass'.
Haha! No, let's be clear - the Climax by itself has no bass. None.

Seriously, it rolls off at 100Hz and does not even have the "hump" at that frequency than many minimonitors have to fake it. It doesn't even try. The subwoofer is part of the design. The whole idea is that high-efficiency bass takes a huge cabinet and very expensive woofers - it's economically unsuitable for SETs. So let's get a big solid-state amp and inefficient but small speaker (i.e. a sub) for the deep bass, and run the rest on an SET. The ear is much more sensitive in the midrange, which basically means the vocal range - we are social animals and genetically equipped to detect subtle shadings of voices, after all!

Paul Joppa

Offline d052057

Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 01:01:39 PM
All I can say is that until you've listened to the ADV A4 then you know "just a little bit less than" means to you.  Another difference is that the ADV A4 (woofer) is doing really good job when I play it loud.  It is clear, punchy and dynamic.  It filled up where the Climax's weakness.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 01:39:54 PM
All I can say is that until you've listened to the ADV A4 then you know "just a little bit less than" means to you.  Another difference is that the ADV A4 (woofer) is doing really good job when I play it loud.  It is clear, punchy and dynamic.  It filled up where the Climax's weakness.

I don't think I understand.  Do you know that the Climax is incomplete without the (sub) woofer, which you don't mention?  Do you know the Advent is a full range speaker?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:36:37 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline d052057

Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 08:10:59 AM
I didn't know the Adv A4 is a full range speaker except that it is a 2-way speaker.  To make it clear regarding the Climax and Adv a4 is that the Adv A4 woofer is better than the Climax woofer.  It is dynamic, clear, and punchy.  The Climax tweeter is better than the Adv A4 tweeter.  It is clear and it has more details or resolution.  You can use/listen the Climax but you still need sub woofer to be a complete set.  I use the Climax with my KLH 12" subwoofer but they are not as good as the Climax and Adv A4 combination.
One thing I have not tried is to put Climax upside down and on the top of the Adv A4 (tweeters of the Adv A4 and Climax are closed each other).  According to my research, they stack the Adv A4 speaker on the top of each other (2 speakers on each side, the top one is upside down) and they are sounding better than stacking them without turning it upside down.  Some people replace the Adv A4 tweeter with something else like horn type tweeter etc..  I tried the Climax with Adv A4 combination and it turned out that they sounding better and more lively musical.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 08:25:21 AM
I didn't know the Adv A4 is a full range speaker except that it is a 2-way speaker.  To make it clear regarding the Climax and Adv a4 is that the Adv A4 woofer is better than the Climax woofer.  .  .   You can use/listen the Climax but you still need sub woofer to be a complete set.    .  .  .  

You have completely missed the point and seem determined to stay this way.  To make it clear, the Climax as you use them has no woofer.  It is intended to be a three way speaker system, tweeter, mid (not really woofer) and a sub woofer.  You missed, or didn't read Paul Joppa's response #18 above.  The editing and emphasis, above and below, is by me:

.  .  .   Haha! No, let's be clear - the Climax by itself has no bass. None.

.  .  .    The subwoofer is part of the design.  .  .  .  

I think most of this thread should be deleted as it has no application.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:37:55 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline John Roman

Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 11:38:02 AM
A while back I was able to convince Parts Express to order a ribbon tweeter that they no longer stocked. They were very good about it and may be open to adding the driver to their list of Eminence products, never know.

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Tim G.

Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 06:13:56 AM
I have been doing some tinkering with my S8 speakers and the ST324 tweeter and wanted to refresh my memory on the crossover from the Climax design.  I can't seem to get any links to the pdf to work or find the design anywhere.  Could someone point me in a direction?

Thanks
Tim

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 08:39:16 AM

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 10:04:32 AM
The original (without sub) is still sitting in my basement. I haven't actually hooked it up since I got it, and PB is building me some boxes for another new design ... so if anyone wants a Climax let me know!  :^) 

Paul Joppa

Offline Tim G.

Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 10:17:41 AM
Great...Thanks for the link!

Tim