Time for another surprise

Doc B. · 17569

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 10:54:38 AM
I should also mention that all pre-orders will ship with old stock European 12AU7's.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline daltonljj

Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 11:47:12 PM
Is there a 240v version cos i cant seem to find that option which the crack has?

Offline Chris65

Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 12:21:35 AM
Is there a 240v version cos i cant seem to find that option which the crack has?

I expect it uses the new universal power transformer (as used in the Seductor), which offers all voltages.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 04:53:16 AM
Yes, the power transformer is a universal one.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline daltonljj

Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 06:18:34 AM
Thats awesome ... recently just completed modding my crack and this popped up .... feeling really in a dilemma to whether i should give this a pass and get the mainline which i'm close to buying already .... really love how it looks with the additional 2 shunt voltage regulator tubes. It is for sure looking really sexy if you ask me. Argh!!!! so confused right now. What would you recommend ?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 09:51:06 AM
As I mentioned when asked this recently, if budget allows Mainline is our best amp. If the budget is not quite there and you are interested in an amp specifically for high impedance headphones Crack-a-two-a is a less expensive alternative that is a step up from the Crack kit.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 10:13:42 AM
Hey Doc,

How would this compare to the SEX Amp as a headphone amp (usually w/ Sennheiser HD-600's)?

thanks,

David

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 12:13:34 PM
I'd put the Crack-a-two-a a bit ahead of the S.E.X. for HD 600s. The S.E.X. is great with them too, but the shunt regulation in Ca2a really does a nice thing for vocals.

On the other hand S.E.X. will also work great with Audezes and other lower impedance planars and dynamics as well as efficient and near field speakers.

Depends a bit upon how you weigh versatility vs. performance for a specific application.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline modestmeowth

Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 11:27:26 AM
Will we be able to modify this to accept a 6SN7 like the Crack?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 07:40:29 AM
Will we be able to modify this to accept a 6SN7 like the Crack?

Yes, you'll still need to punch out the hole in the chassis (the bigger of the 2 punches available at your local hardware store ought to work), but there is actually a bit more room for everything, so the octal socket should be easier to install.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Aeolus Kratos

Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 06:34:48 PM
Hi Doc,

I just sold my highly-modded Crack yesterday and is planning to get another amp soon. My budget is somewhere ~$1000, but I can wait and save a bit more to get a Mainline.

I'm using a HD650 and HD800 and frankly, I don't plan to buy ANY other headphone (I've heard as well as owned various premium headphones and now I've settled to the Senns).

Between the Crack-a-two-a and the Mainline, what would you recommend me for using JUST for my Senns (i.e. HD650, HD800)? I don't plan to use my next amp to drive other headphones.

Best regards,
Kratos.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:38:01 PM by Aeolus Kratos »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 07:41:15 PM
As I mentioned when asked this recently, if budget allows Mainline is our best amp. If the budget is not quite there and you are interested in an amp specifically for high impedance headphones Crack-a-two-a is a less expensive alternative that is a step up from the Crack kit.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Aeolus Kratos

Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 08:36:39 PM
Thanks for the clear answer. I guess I'm gonna save for a while and get a Mainline soon!

Cheers.

Offline NightFlight

Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 08:38:06 PM
Dang. I sat on selling my modded Crack too long.  ::)

But thanks for finally offering a solution to the Cracks power supply. It's been the weak point of the Crack for a while now, there's only so much you can do with the stock Crack power supply on the AC and DC sides.... in the space provided.

Nice looking amp. I think it will look even better with an ST bottle on there!

Offline Hornet900

Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 12:25:44 PM
hello all

I'm interested in the new amp and have couple questions ... and  sorry i don't know much about this stuff !,   I  have a crack amp with hd600 connected to my high end PC with a creative ZxR soundcard and really like it :)  and was think of rebuilding it soon but may change my mind

Does having the  exrta 2 tubes 6AQ5 affect the tube rolling on the new crack? ..  will it be the same any different,  I liked the way the 5998 changed the sound and wish to use these. 
with changing the tubes on the normal crack really changed the sound for me, / i was thinking with these other new  tubes the crack tube rolling may be different  , sorry I don't know alot with this stuff guys.

Also can you change the 6AQ5  for different types and makes? ,  will this change the sound as well?

one of the biggest things I'm concerned about is interference noise pickup from computers and stuff?  does the extra tubes effect the amp near  computers ?  My crack about 1 foot away from my computer but its dead silent,   I can turn the amp up near full wack with no music and only then only hear a little noise  (the last 1 cm of volume travel  and thats blown up headphones loud and no hearing!  shes perfect ....shes quiet as a mouse with good tubes)
so I'm worried about this with new amps near my pc  I read valve amps can pick up noise ,   more chance of this happening with new amp design?  :-*

also does the new amp have loads power like the normal crack 
is the bass any different. I'd plug in a 5998 and work ok
I listen to my music loud and hope it has lotsof   big power and can go loud

Guys does the mainline amp have  bigger bass fatter bass with  hd600  than the old crack speedball and 5998 tube // using  high impedance headphones ?
When I installed the 5998 on my crack  speedball  I got a bigger sound better bass and it was less harsh with my hd600s  smother sound darker sound I think you call it..
sounds awesome with my  italo disco  8) 8)   it thumps

Im not really interested in analyzing my music  I  like a rhythmic musical tubey sound, warm detailed

How does the new amps volume control and balance  work ......  is it  like a normal amplifiers  left and  right balance ....  does the upgrade change this? / course and fine  I dont understand it anyone have a link to explain how it works ?   i will look up later but its late tonight sleep soon

I've read a little about stepped attenuator but still dont understand it ..... difference with a  shunt course fine ,  I may build my own stepped attenuator one day  for my crack but have to learn it carbon film resistors and things
I have no problems with my cracks channel balance though  still use the standard pot  :P

I was even thinking of buying one but with  the money I could be put towards this new amp plus I always wished i painted my top plate and was think of adding a choke soon never got round to that, and fancy building an amp again as I enjoyed building the crack

finally does the upgrade part the stepped attenuator  come with a black top plate like the mainline? with  writing dials,
if so will it look like the mainline design  or like beequiet and others  ,  the mainlines  top plate looks  nice

Austin