EROS and Submissive Compatibility

Adrian · 1616

Offline Adrian

on: October 07, 2015, 02:59:09 PM
I currently have my EROs Phono Stage feeding directly into the Submissive Volume Control/Selector then to either the S.E.X. 2.1 or the Paramounts with the output into a Blumenstein 2.2 mini-max system.
I know the EROS has a relatively high ouput impedance while the Submissive has a relatively low input impedance.
I understand this may be problematic; however, I really like how the system sounds on all types of music.

Before I experiment, what can I expect when I bypass the Submissive and feed the EROS directly into the S.E.X. 2.1 running the stock volume pot?
I'll try it anyway - just got curious.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 04:38:23 PM
You might get better bandwidth and you will have a little more gain. It's a smoke it and see kind of thing.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Adrian

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 03:01:38 AM
Thanks, Doc B.
I had already suppected to get more gain feeding into the lower impedance of the S.E.X 2.1 and more gain is not bad unless I'm restricted to the lower "times" on the pot.

Again, before I dust off the old text books or go the easy route and Google it, is there a layman's description why I may get a potential wider bandwidth with the lower input impedance?

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:36:07 AM
No there is not, because you potentially get wider bandwidth with higher input impedance load of the S.E.X. vs. the Submissive. Notice I say potentially, there are different factors that affect this. But the most common thing noticed is that the bass might be a little more fat and fluffy running into a lower impedance load and a bit more tight, deep and even into a higher impedance load. Top end can change a bit too, though that is sometimes more influenced by cable capacitance. 

However there are so many factors beyond this interface that might dominate that it is hard to say which will sound best in your system. I took a Neothoriator to someone's room a while back and with their front end setup it sounded quite bright and rather thin on headphones that it sounded superb with using my own DAC and also with headphones in another system and DAC in California. That same Neothoriator used in a completely different system as a preamp with some large horn speakers and 300B amps saved the day by giving the system a tight and punchy presentation with an open treble that was difficult to achieve with a different preamp that had worked perfectly in my own system. So the character of the accompanying speakers, amps and front end components all figure into this.

Bottom line is hook the sucker up and gather some data.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Adrian

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 06:28:46 AM
Thanks again and sorry - I meant to write higher input impedance.
I'll give it a road test.

Adrian C.