Speaker kit experiments - an archive of the Jäger Speaker development

Doc B. · 42065

Offline xcortes

Reply #135 on: September 02, 2017, 04:42:59 AM
If the tweeter efficiency is higher than the woofers' you could add independent binding posts for each woofer so that when the active crossover is used an amp powers each driver. Just sayin'

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #136 on: September 02, 2017, 05:11:45 AM
Crossover is around 3200Hz, IIRC. All the specs will be up on the website in a few days. You cannot use separate binding posts for each woofer without changing internal wiring. The woofers are in a series wired shaded array configuration and getting it all into balance with different wiring and amps could be rather challenging. This is intended to be a pretty fully evolved design that includes very specific components to achieve its performance rather than the typical drivers, capacitors and binding posts speaker "kits" that so many companies sell. The many months it has taken to get the design to this point have been spent trying a lot of different circuits, materials, etc.  I know it's fun to embellish this kind of thing with our own musings, but I would hope that builders will give the design a chance as delivered before personalizing it. That way one will have a baseline from which to determine whether any mods are a step forward or not.

With regards to using lots of amps, some may recall that a main point of this exercise was that the guys wanted me to put a speaker in our studio that would work with a single amp of modest power. I will be doing a little demo of the capabilities today, as we run the 94dB speakers with 16 watts per channel. That's 106dB peaks.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #137 on: September 02, 2017, 05:14:16 AM
Wish I were in the area! It would be great to hear these.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #138 on: September 02, 2017, 05:21:51 AM
If the tweeter efficiency is higher than the woofers' you could add independent binding posts for each woofer so that when the active crossover is used an amp powers each driver. Just sayin'
While the tweeter is a bit more sensitive than the woofers, we took that as an opportunity to flatten out the tweeter response a bit.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #139 on: September 04, 2017, 11:04:25 AM
The acoustical crossover is at 2800Hz.

Paul Joppa

Offline chrisose

Is there any information as to what drivers are used in these?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Two 8" paper/fiber woofers and a horn loaded planar tweeter of approximately 6".

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline chrisose

I read that part, but was more interested in the manufacturer and model.  The tweeter appears to be the Dayton Audio PHT1, but I was unable to identify the woofer.

Thanks!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
In the interest of protecting our intellectual property we are somewhat disinclined to share anything more than general information on the components used. The tweeter is a lightly modified Dayton, the woofers are Silver Flute. However there is much more to the design that influences the final sound besides driver choice - cabinet design and materials, damping, isolation, impedance compensation, crossover design, construction method, etc. One could buy the same drivers and make a really bad sounding speaker just as easily as (or more easily than) a really good sounding one.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Rocketman248

Just ordered my set.  Can't wait!  Already trying to decide what album to play first.

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Thanks, Nick, and everyone else who has ordered! Just a reminder that we will take pre-orders through Sunday the 17th for this first production run.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.