Quickie mods

earwaxxer · 64235

4krow

Reply #105 on: June 08, 2013, 05:23:58 PM
Who are you calling tight n quick(ie)?

Ok, I have tried the tants to change the input impedance of my integrated amp. My view is mixed. More detail, perhaps. More edgey perhaps.
 And BTW, I didn't have to use dope to get fucked up,    i was born that way(the dope did make some enhancements though).

Offline braubeat

Reply #106 on: June 11, 2013, 06:38:20 AM
I thought this might be of interest to Quickie modders.
They claim this is the largest film cap ever made? 63 volts is good for a Quickie.

http://www.audiocap.co.uk/jsp-series-stacked-film-470uf--63v-capacitor-345-p.asp

Michael

4krow

Reply #107 on: June 11, 2013, 06:57:30 AM
I just looked at caps that are even biggger ,by a LOT at madisound. Some crrrazy guy here is using them in place of the electrolytics. They look to be almost the size of coke cans!

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #108 on: June 11, 2013, 07:37:22 AM
Interesting. Reasonable price, too. But probably overkill for the Quickie. The v1.1 Quickie only uses 150uf electrolytics, and Paul has said that these can be replaced with any film caps over 47uf... I just built mine with 100uf ClarityCap SAs, and I can assure you that the bass is deep, hard and solid.

Greg, if you were referring to me...I can confirm that the ClarityCap SAs are considerably bigger than a Coke can!  ;D

Best,
Adam

Offline corndog71

Reply #109 on: June 11, 2013, 07:40:19 AM
I just looked at caps that are even biggger ,by a LOT at madisound. Some crrrazy guy here is using them in place of the electrolytics. They look to be almost the size of coke cans!

Madisound doesn't sell Clarity Cap TC series.  I haven't found a need to use their biggest cap - 430uF 700V 84mm D x 145mm L  ESR 1.0mOhm  ;)  ...not for a lack of trying.  BTW, I use these in a tube amp.  Not the Quickie.

Oh wait.  You're talking about the other crazy guy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:42:11 AM by corndog71 »

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

4krow

Reply #110 on: June 11, 2013, 08:13:43 AM
LOL  Yah, when I say the CRRRaaaaazy guy, it really doesn't narrow it down much! Don't know if I am brave enough to use those 'cans' for my Q. But then again if Earic tries it I have kno choice(I'm inventin my own language, let's see f it catches on).

Let me deal with some small issues first and then maaaybe caps will follow.

Offline corndog71

Reply #111 on: June 11, 2013, 08:41:57 AM
I was tempted to go up to 100uF caps but ended going for just 51uf instead just to save money.

Here is a 100uF ERSE cap (the big black one!) in my center channel crossover:

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi576.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss207%2Fcorndog642%2Fx-voce%2520upgrades%2F61d2e0af.jpg&hash=81aedac2988b01a8eadc49dbda99a422af3abd87)

Rob

4krow

Reply #112 on: June 11, 2013, 09:34:35 AM
for a second there, I thought it was Quickie overcome by capacitors ;D

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #113 on: June 11, 2013, 03:27:34 PM
I have yet to try the Sonicaps. They are on my short list. Good value. That does look like a cap gang bang!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #114 on: June 11, 2013, 03:55:59 PM
Who are you calling tight n quick(ie)?
 And BTW, I didn't have to use dope to get fucked up,    i was born that way(the dope did make some enhancements though).

A little explanation for the new members... You see, Greg and I are, how shall we say, "brothers from different mothers". So if we seem to get bitchy at each other, its kind of genetic. We have shared the same locals yet at different points in time. Greg is a time traveler. He's from another world. We need to be patient with him...

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #115 on: June 12, 2013, 07:39:39 AM
Shut up Earic

Offline corndog71

Reply #116 on: June 12, 2013, 08:51:37 AM
The sonicaps (Gen 1)  are a good, neutral cap.  Ok, they lean a little on the brighter side of neutral but give very good resolution for the money. 

Rob

Offline wullymc

Reply #117 on: June 17, 2013, 03:45:03 PM
Hi guys,

I am looking at upgrading the output caps in the Quickie.  I am worried about discharging the capacitors.

I have read that you should attack a high value resistor to both sides of the capacitor for a period of time to totally discharge so there is no concern for getting some voltage when upgrading.

I was wondering if the following resistor would be good to use to discharge the capacitors (I would also be using it eventually to upgrade my Crack output caps):

http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_amtrans_amra_five_watt.html

I would be buying the 10k resistor and attaching it using alligator clips and just leaving it there for awhile.  After I guess that I should verify there is no charge with my multimeter right?

Any guidance would be great!

Thanks...Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #118 on: June 17, 2013, 04:45:25 PM
Hey Dave - dont worry about current/voltage from the Quickie. Thats kind of the point of the kit. You really cant kill yourself messing with it. Well, I should preface that, Greg will probably kill himself working on the Quickie because thats Greg.

Just yank the sucker and move on. I have the Mundorf Silver/oil in at that spot. Pricey but quite nice!

Eric

Offline corndog71

Reply #119 on: June 17, 2013, 04:46:09 PM
The quickie is not a high voltage circuit.  It's battery powered. 

You're thinking of the power supply caps in circuits with well over 100 volts in them.  In those cases bleeder resistors on the power supply caps is a good idea. 

But the quickie is absolutely harmless.

Rob