Recent Posts

BeePre / Re: Shushing Sound from preamp
« Last post by Doc B. on Today at 10:13:24 AM »
Perhaps I misunderstand this, but if it only happens when listening to LPs it seems most likely that the issue is coming from somewhere in the turntable/phono stage part of the signal chain, ahead of the BeePre.
BeePre / Shushing Sound from preamp
« Last post by rockpassion on Yesterday at 03:13:36 PM »
I have an on and off again shushing sound which comes and goes.  It does not appear to be volume related.  Also, it takes about 15 - 20 minutes to begin.  I  thought it had to do with 300b sockets so i cleaned them with deoxit and the shushing sound goes away for awhile.  However, when I manually wiggle the tubes the shushing (sounds like tube rush) does not increase or  decrease.  This also only happens  when I listen to LP's.  I have switched IC"s around but it does not stop or alter the noise.  I cannot hear it when the music is playing.

Any thoughts on how i might isolate this to figure out what is causing this.? 

Thanks

Richard
General Discussion / Re: sunrise
« Last post by kgoss on Yesterday at 02:53:39 PM »
Cool artistic photo. I like the shadow outline on the wall behind the gear.
Eros Phono / Re: Loss of R channel post Sowter 1990 SUT
« Last post by Thermioniclife on Yesterday at 12:34:58 PM »
Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy.
« Last post by Brooklynbottle on Yesterday at 11:50:49 AM »
Mark this issue resolved! Thanks Thermionclife. A small dab of solder was bridging input post and shell. Those Sowters are singing in stereo now.
Bottlehead DAC / Re: Is the Bottlehead DAC repairable?
« Last post by pdxgrampa on Yesterday at 11:27:10 AM »
Thanks Doc,

Thought that was most likely the case.

Any thoughts on a replacement built or kit?

Greg
Bottlehead DAC / Re: Is the Bottlehead DAC repairable?
« Last post by Doc B. on Yesterday at 10:53:58 AM »
Not really enough info to be able to offer a specific suggestion. If your power supply died that's probably an easy fix. If you changed sources and the new source won't talk to the DAC via USB that is not something that can be made to work because it is usually the newer vs older USB chips can't talk to each other. If USB is the issue you might still be able to use the TOSLINK or the coax input with an appropriate source. If the DAC itself is completely dead after all these years it's hard to say whether it is repairable or not without deep diving into it. I don't consider myself qualified to work on it at the component level and I'm not sure that PB would be able look at it either. Perhaps John Swenson could look at it, but I have not communicated with him in several years and don't have current contact info. We only had a few spares for full board repairs and over the 10  years since we made the DACs those few spares have been used.
Bottlehead DAC / Is the Bottlehead DAC repairable?
« Last post by pdxgrampa on Yesterday at 09:42:31 AM »
Mine seems to have given up the ghost.

Is it worth repairing?

Greg
General Discussion / sunrise
« Last post by Jay on Yesterday at 09:03:23 AM »
I like how the sunlight diffracted through the glass
« Last post by Brooklynbottle on Yesterday at 05:03:33 AM »
Thanks. I'll double check and post a photo if things don't improve.
That solder job was a bit messy w/ the multi strand Sowter wire.
Appreciate the insight!