Wiring replacement pot (Alps)

Rossputin · 8928

Offline Rossputin

on: June 11, 2018, 09:23:17 AM
Hello all,

At the suggestion of many folks here and Doc B as well, I just received a new Alps pot.

What's the easiest and best way to make sure that I wire it correctly? In other words, what's the easiest and best way to know which terminal on the new pot matches up with which terminal on the pot that came with the Crack?

If I'm looking straight on at the three terminals, would the left one on the Alps definitely match the left one on the original?

Or do I just take out the original and try to figure out how to use an ohmmeter to determine which terminal is which? (Which I'm not sure I can do with absolute confidence...)

Thanks!
Ross

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 12:54:29 PM
It should be wired up exactly like the stock pot.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline JLDub

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:17:03 PM
Hi, new crack owner here. I've researched extensively and can't quite find a straightforward answer. Is this the correct Alps pot to use for the Crack? https://w ww.parts-express.com/alps-100kax2-100k-ohm-audio-taper-stereo-potentiometer-6mm-shaft--023-206
Just wanted to make sure it's the best fitting/most compatible and easiest to install Alps blue velvet pot for the crack. Also, does anyone have experience ordering one of these through parts express? Wanted to make sure it is not a knock off. Sorry about the URL, can't post links yet. Thanks!

Offline fromnowon

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:40:32 PM
I can confirm that P.E. is first-rate!  I live in the town where they are located so very familiar.  I would think it's very safe.

I've been trying to find a reliable source for the lugged version, like this which would be really nice for soldering:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-Alps-Blue-Velvet-100K-Volume-Control-Potentiometer-Tube-Amplifier/361490171877?epid=1081861570&hash=item542a7e47e5:g:NggAAOxyn~pR0kbS

Not sure I trust this ^^ source however!

Offline JLDub

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 02:43:39 PM
Ah yes I didn't even realize the PE version was different. Yes I would prefer the lugged one as well!

Offline kgoss

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 03:43:52 AM
I have ordered lots of stuff from P.E. over the years with zero problems.
Just for reference I live in the US.

Ken Goss

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 03:46:53 AM
Here's the factory website with the different RK27 pots:
https://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/Potentiometer/RotaryPotentiometers/RK271/RK271_list.html
They all have pins.

If you buy an Alps RK27 with solder lugs, I have some pink $100 bills to sell you!  (Note that we have had at least one fake over the years that sounded pretty good)

Mouser also sells these in the US.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline JLDub

Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 04:18:24 AM
Haha I catch your drift! So while the lugs are a very nice addition, they're unfortunately not the real deal. Well thanks everyone for the clarification! I will most likely pursue the PE 100k with pins.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 05:25:47 AM
The other thing that drives me nuts is seeing all those solid core wires wrapped around the pins on the RK27.  Those pins are really not very sturdy and are designed to go into a PC board.  You're likely to ruin the pot by anchoring wires to the pins.

Instead, spend a few bucks and buy a breakout board:
Breakout board

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Tom-s

Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 06:22:33 AM
Another option is a stepped attenuator using DALE resistors from Ebay.
Some consider these an upgrade to the Alps pots.
Can't commend on that because i never used an Alps pot.
I've used a stepped attenuator and was really happy with it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:14:48 AM by Tom-s »

Offline Leland Hankins

Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 07:44:14 AM
I have never been a fan of the Alps pot, not much better than the stock pot, if at all.  The Audio Note pot is what I have been recommending for years, excellent pot for the money.

Offline fromnowon

Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 04:14:36 PM
That breakout board idea is awesome!

The parts express 100K ohm Alps is not labeled as an RK27.  I wonder if it's the same as an RK27 Alps.  Looks like it . . . but it is strange that "RK27" isn't referenced.

Offline JLDub

Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 05:20:09 PM
The other thing that drives me nuts is seeing all those solid core wires wrapped around the pins on the RK27.  Those pins are really not very sturdy and are designed to go into a PC board.  You're likely to ruin the pot by anchoring wires to the pins.

Instead, spend a few bucks and buy a breakout board:
Breakout board

Awesome! Just ordered one today. Would've never known. Thanks so much for the link!

Offline JLDub

Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 05:23:10 PM
That breakout board idea is awesome!

The parts express 100K ohm Alps is not labeled as an RK27.  I wonder if it's the same as an RK27 Alps.  Looks like it . . . but it is strange that "RK27" isn't referenced.

Yeah I had thought the same thing. Nowhere on the PE site is the manf part # from Alps mentioned. Tried to ask their online chat about it today...didn't know jack of course. I went ahead and ordered anyway. It's faster and cheaper than mouser and looks pretty identical.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 06:31:34 PM
Hey, that's a better price for sure!  I have never seen an RK27 labeled with "RK27", go figure!

Paul "PB" Birkeland