Right channel noisy. Help troubleshooting

denti alligator · 10273

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #195 on: March 11, 2022, 10:32:46 AM
If you swap just the blue wires, you are changing the current loop for the output stage to include the other half of the pseudo dual mono power supply. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline triode

Reply #196 on: March 11, 2022, 10:38:30 AM
Thanks Paul

Yes, by swapping the blue wires, this swapped the choke, the 1.2k resistor, and the final filter Caps
Maybe I will try also to swap the choke's red wires and if noise still in the same channel, then definitely its the choke 

Offline triode

Reply #197 on: March 18, 2022, 12:54:31 PM
Hi all,

Update : I swapped the choke red wires and it still in the same channel/choke. So its not the resistor and filter caps in the PSU. I guess I have a bad choke?

Thanks guys

Offline denti alligator

Reply #198 on: March 25, 2022, 11:39:27 AM
Received my plate choke replacement today (thanks, Eileen!), swapped out the defective one and the amp, at first, had no sound in the right channel. I checked voltages, which were slightly low around 6, 21, 22 (51.7V compared to 56.something on the other side), but all else well, so I plugged it back in and …

… it works! And it sounds great! And there is no more noise!!

Thanks so much for helping me get to the bottom of this!

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline triode

Reply #199 on: March 25, 2022, 03:20:03 PM
That's great news.

I'm ordering my replacement now. Hope same result as yours

Thanks for this thread, I would have not expected that the choke are the source of the noise

Offline triode

Reply #200 on: June 14, 2022, 09:59:27 PM
Hi all

Just an update :
Received plate chokes sometimes ago but was too busy. Finally this week I manage install them.
Noise all gone (for now, cross finger). Will have marathon music next weekend to further see if noise comes back and also break-in the chokes

As bonus, the new chokes also look better with end bells !!

Thanks guys