Output Capacitor Upgrading Questions

jrihs · 131615

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #165 on: March 09, 2013, 04:22:43 PM
I would have to say that you should try the 'oils' if you are looking for some 'oily' smoothness. I personally like the oils. Some better than others. The pricey ones I like more! I really like the Ampohm paper/oils. Good bang for the buck. YMMV. - Cheers - Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Cryok95

Reply #166 on: March 09, 2013, 05:41:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to get some obbligato caps to change my current solen 100uf caps I have in my crack. Only thing is that I'm deciding between the 100uf PSU version or the 70uf film oil version. Any thoughts?

Leave the Solens in.

I think i'll do just that, the obbligatos are a little too big IMO. Thanks for the advice!

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #167 on: May 08, 2013, 02:52:10 PM
FWIW - I swapped my prior 91uf axons out for the 100uf obbligato psu caps and am very happy  with the results. 

To my ears, via hd800's, the deep bass improved (presumably due, at least in part, to the change in capacitance) and trebles (e.g. violins and other instruments that play in that part of the spectrum) seem cleaner and less grainy.  Then again, maybe I'm just hearing what I want to hear as a result of confirmation-bias, having already read the descriptions on humblehomemadehifi.

From a fit standpoint - they are longer but no fatter than the old axons were, so there were no issues.

Mike M.

w0lfd0g

Reply #168 on: June 01, 2013, 08:29:26 PM
Post #1 - Yay for me!  8)

I am due to take arrival of my Crack in a few days (with Speedball) and this is my first crack at DIY (other than a Cmoy) and circuit modification. 

I am thinking of going with a ClarityCap 100uf SA bypassed with a Mundorf 2.2uf M-CAP Supreme for the output (in parallel).  Anyone tried this combo, can predict results?  Would I be better off using a 1 uf Mundorf silver/gold/oil EVO for the bypass? Any words of affirmation or impassioned pleas for an immediate change of mind would be most welcome.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:36:24 PM by w0lfd0g »

w0lfd0g

Reply #169 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:14 PM
Sorry about this. 

Have just read the following ( http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html )

Sound: The Clarity Cap range has an overall similarity in tonal balance, going up the range you gain a bit in clarity and spatiality. I find the SA to be neutral with a slightly warmish presentation but also a bit closed-in. Compared to the Clarity Cap PX definition and separation are better, the stereo-image is also little larger. I did find the top end to be slightly rolled-off, not that they lacked detailed but on some recordings I wanted a fraction more transparency - but all in all still very nice. On the downside the "S" and "T" in vocals can be a bit plasticy, this is probably due to the lack in transparany in the top octave, making the octaves below sound a little masked. Making a capacitor using about 90% Clarity Cap SA and about 10% Mundorf Supreme works very well, this tends to open up the top end just nicely without altering anything else.

I am probably better off getting this: 10uf / 600V, M-CAP Supreme and using as a bypass.  Agreed?

Offline Laudanum

Reply #170 on: June 02, 2013, 01:56:50 AM
What the heck do "plasticy" S and T's sound like?   Im picturing listening to someone singing words with S and T sounds through a cheap Kazoo   ;D

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #171 on: June 02, 2013, 02:23:00 AM
I'm with Desmond.  But I do know they mean it as being a negative.  There are a number of Bottleheads who are using Clarity caps.  I'll be using some in my Paramours soon.  I don't remember any serious drawbacks.  Of course, higher dollar caps, of any make, often sound better.

Edit: The above was set to Beige color and didn't show up.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:41:52 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #172 on: June 02, 2013, 06:25:14 AM
These sound 'differences' are so subtle its hard to describe. I usually describe the sound of higher end caps, resistors, pots etc, as being more refined, mature, open, defined, cleaner etc. To try to get more specific than that is hard, and mostly relative to the current comparison, not necessarily generalizable to all situations. 

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

w0lfd0g

Reply #173 on: June 02, 2013, 10:01:45 PM
Thanks Grainger and Eric.  Might hold off on the bypass for the moment and put the money to a pot upgrade.

Cheers

Nathan

Offline wullymc

Reply #174 on: July 21, 2013, 04:54:22 AM
Hey guys,

just bought some ClarityCap PX caps (2X100uf and 1X2.2uf) during the Partsconnexion sale.  I am excited to upgrade the output caps and I have chosen to bypass the last power cap.

I will build a new bigger box to house the Crack but I will start off with the last power cap bypass.   I remember asking about discharging the Output Caps and PB stated that they have made the kit so that the Output caps discharge and it is safe just to pull them out and upgrade...but I don't know about the caps attached to the power supply.

I just want to be sure that if I touch the power cap I will not fry.  Ofcourse I will unplug the power before working on the kit!!

As Ozzy said "I told them to enjoy life not end your life"

Thanks!...Dave
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:56:24 AM by wullymc »

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #175 on: July 21, 2013, 07:23:01 AM
You can measure the unstriped end of any of the black power supply caps.  Anything below 10V is low enough to work on, and the power supply is self draining, but it takes a little time.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline John EH

Reply #176 on: July 21, 2013, 09:27:52 AM
Cap discharge is a particular pet peeve of mine, not on Bottlehead gear but at work.  We have something called a Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (FLOLS) which guides tailhook aircraft to a precise touchdown point.  It was designed in the 60's and has 60's and 70's era components still. 

We have two big caps on a relay board which tend to hold a charge for a bit.  Somewhere along the line, long before my time somebody decided that direct shorting the cap across the leads with a screwdriver prior to maintenance was the proper thing to do.   It accomplishes two things.  Killing the built up charge and making a very cool POP which pleases young United States Marines to no end.

9 times out of 10 my troubleshooting detective work was preceded with a "I had just discharged the cap and then I turned it back on and the ________now isn't working."

It has literally taken me 10 years to break that mentality.

PB is correct that anything under 10 volts is safe and basically that's because your meter has a 9 volt battery in it which is capable of charging the cap.

I know nobody said they were direct shorting caps but I couldn't help telling my Marines with a Screwdriver story.

Offline wullymc

Reply #177 on: July 21, 2013, 12:54:07 PM
Thanks guys,

Appreciate it.  I think next weekend I will do the bypass.

Take care....Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #178 on: July 21, 2013, 12:58:29 PM
Cool story John!

Eric

4krow

Reply #179 on: July 21, 2013, 04:13:12 PM
  When I was in high school(yah EARIC I went there) working for a radio repair shop, I discharge a huge cap in CB linear amp. I was never the same.