Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 241679

Offline xcortes

Reply #120 on: August 01, 2012, 04:57:55 PM
Hey Clark,

Do the 755Ex cabinet requirements are the same as the 755As?

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #121 on: August 01, 2012, 05:59:57 PM
Xavier, I think so.  We build ours with a tunable port (pics coming soon).  This allows for miniscule adjustments to the cabinet tuning (millimeters) as the driver breaks in or in the case of the field coil, differing field coil voltages.

Cheers,

Clark

Offline xcortes

Reply #122 on: August 02, 2012, 03:35:03 AM
Ported! That is interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a ported box for 755s. Maybe the Shindo.

Xavier Cortes

Offline John Roman

Reply #123 on: August 02, 2012, 09:05:06 AM
I have to say the Ultra Fi system looks very nice. It's also very cool to see folks like the Blumenstein's enjoying their business. Their enthusiasm seems to come right through. The addition of the  Line Magnetics 755-EX full range field coil drivers is also very enticing. I'll be living vicariously hoping for sonic impressions.
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline patm

Reply #124 on: September 14, 2012, 08:45:30 AM
Recieved my Orca's and Sub's. Amazing simply Amazing. The finish is remarkable, they look very small when not on but grow to huge as soon as they are turned on. My brother was there as I unpacked and assembled them. The 1st hour they sounded small and flat and my brother said "I like the ZU Druids better, I can't listen to this and walked out. Four hours later after a noticeable jump in the sound quality he came back in and sat down and said holy cow these things sound amazing. I had to nod my head, my smile was to big to comment.
I still haven't figured out how to set up the second sub yet but we all should have such problems.

Thanks Clark and Molly

Pat

In the beginning there was nothing, then it blew up!

FP III, Paramount 300b (Takatsuki TA-300B), both with Mundorf S/O caps, Mikes iron, HFBG Eros,Oppo 103,Rega RP6 2m black ,Vaughn Triode JR II

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #125 on: September 14, 2012, 09:34:01 AM
Dear Pat, That's excellent that they are plugged in and warming up some! 

We are in the process of making some specialized wiring harnesses for the subwoofer amplifier and will have them off to you as soon as possible.  We've been trying to sort out what is the ideal connectors and such - but without breaking the bank sourcing custom connectors.  Also, it looks like we forgot to send off the instructions about how to set up the sub and so we just uploaded them to the website.

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/faq/orca-speakers/how-do-i-setup-the-orcas-with-the-orca-subwoofer.html

For a dual sub setup, just hook one channel of the main stereo amp into just one side of each sub amp's high level input.  (and of course, we can always help by phone).  You just match the levels between gain and crossover frequency between the two amps.  They sit around 9:30-10:00 o clock for the gain, 10:00-11:00 for the crossover frequency.  I mention a fairly wide range because it will depend somewhat on room placement.  I try to just get the sub level perceptibly flat.  This usually means starting a little higher in level and then working the gain lower and lower.

The new wiring harnesses we are sending off (NC) should help with the setup quite a bit, however, and it will change a bit of the way all of this looks and the speed with which it can be hooked up. 

Oh man, I can't wait to see what you think of the dual sub setup...  once it all breaks in it is positively the least subwooferey sound I have ever been able to acheive with any of the stereo systems I've built.  And - it will slam you in the chest!

Ok, well, just let me know how they continue to improve!

Cheers,

Clark

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #126 on: September 14, 2012, 11:10:22 AM
Hi Pat,

Excellent news!  Does your brother believe in break-in now? :-)  Just wait until they all have some good time on them and you simply won't believe your ears.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline patm

Reply #127 on: September 14, 2012, 12:16:16 PM
Yes Clark, a labor of love.
Jim I am looking forward to the break in. I retire next Friday and listening to music is going to be a large part of what I do.

Pat

In the beginning there was nothing, then it blew up!

FP III, Paramount 300b (Takatsuki TA-300B), both with Mundorf S/O caps, Mikes iron, HFBG Eros,Oppo 103,Rega RP6 2m black ,Vaughn Triode JR II

Offline denti alligator

Reply #128 on: September 14, 2012, 12:58:00 PM
What's the height of the main speaker when mounted atop one of the subs? That seems to me the ideal set-up, in part of course because it saves on having to get the stands.

Also, why the optional subwoofer base? What's its advantage?

I wonder how these babies would compare with my Klipsch...

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #129 on: September 14, 2012, 01:43:28 PM
Speakers on the subs works well. There is a bit of an advantage to the speakers being on separate stands in that you can then move the subs around the room until you find the place that gives the smoothest bass response - a place which might not be right under the speakers.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #130 on: September 14, 2012, 02:33:57 PM
Hey Pat,

Congratulations on your retirement!  You got yourself one absolutely perfect retirement gift.  With the stellar amplification ahead of it you are simply going to be loving this setup for a long time to come.

Sam, there's only one way to find out :-).

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #131 on: September 14, 2012, 03:17:20 PM
Yeah, Pat,

Thanks again a million for taking the plunge on the "whole kit and kaboodle" system from us.  I wish I could spend as much time in front of my own Orca system as you will be able to!  Haha!  At BHQ at last month's head fi meet Dan ran his Paramounts with tape through the Orcas and it was one of the best nearfiled experiences I've ever had.  Crazy performance given the relatively diminutive price tag of the amps and everything else added up.  I've heard a number of five figure systems that didn't even come close.

Jim was right on with the stand suggestion - in very small rooms the subs as stands are great because of the even smaller total system footprint.  The speaker stands, however, do very effectively mass load the Orcas in order to solidify their sonic image, allow for independent subwoofer placement, and also as a new feature we take orders for the stands at custom height.  Just send us the seated height from the floor to your ear and we'll take care of the rest.

So the breakdown between the dual subs as stands versus the single sub and column stands is:

-If you are looking for better deep bass resolution on a budget, and just "the most sound from the least space consumed," then the dual subs as stands are a good choice. 
-If you are looking for slightly clearer mid bass (orca mass loading), and slightly improved imaging (Precise choice of driver height and also slightly more perfect point source), then the stands and single sub is the best approach. 

Of course, either system (or even just a sole pair of orcas) can be added to incrimentally as budget, time allows.

The bases for the subs are offered to assure stability in whichever configuration they are intended to stand in - and that's pretty much it.  I do not think that the bases affect the sonics in any particular way - though they do make it easier to use spikes or isolation pods or whathaveyou.

Cheers!

-Clark

Offline RickS

Reply #132 on: September 16, 2012, 04:06:37 AM
Clark and Molly have been busy getting orders out!  I also received my Orcas, stands, and subwoofer on Friday.  Everything looks fantastic.  Just the amount of care in packaging a shipment must stress a 2 person operation and take hours
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:11:29 AM by RickS »

Foreplay III, Stereomour w/ JJ 2A3-40 and Psvane 12AT7 tubes
Blumenstein Orca FE83-SOL speakers / sub
BH power cables & interconnects
HP Stream 11 running WTFPLAY, Supra USB to Teac UD-301 DSD DAC
Rega Planar 2, AT95SH RigB9 cartridge, GT subplatter, 24V motor, SRM-Tech Silent Base
Seduction w/ C4S

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #133 on: September 16, 2012, 01:37:08 PM
Man, you guys are killing me! :D

If I were an obstreperous little kid I'd be jumping up and down, both feet at a time with my fists clenched screaming, "I want mine I want mine I want mine!".  But I won't do that.

I'm so glad you guys are getting to experience this for yourselves -- there's reallly no good way to explain how such a small speaker can sound so big and so good.

This week I'll have my caramelized Orcas mounted on the living room wall (and btw, I found a great wall mount bracket that works great with the Orcas), so we'll have music soon, but it's the natural bamboo ones with the stands and the new papercone woofer I'm just itching to hear.
Enjoy the ride and the destination...

-- Jim

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #134 on: September 18, 2012, 09:26:59 AM
Hi Jim! Just joined the forum because I realized that I didn't have to keep tapping on Clark's shoulder ("You should mention this..." "Tell Jim that...") and that I should just hop on board!

Which wall brackets did you find to work well?

-Molly

p.s. obstreperous... good word.

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio