Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 241676

Offline chrisby

• commercial site:
Reply #105 on: June 21, 2012, 11:37:03 AM
Aren't  most of the dramatic changes from "break-in" ( i.e. lower Fs, "bass extension" weight and dynamics) really to do with "relaxing"  of corrugated lower spider (presumably composed of sometime of fabric and thermo-formed resin) , and to lesser degree upper surrounds?   

In the case of moderate to high sensitivity FR drivers, or those that aren't played at high SPLs, this can take a long time - one new model of paper coned FR driver by Mark Fenlon is reputed to need over 500hrs to fully open up.  That's a long time to wait til you're sure about damping / BSC, EQ or other forms of correction.

bainjs - nice work on staining the bamboo

Chris Bobiak
Victoria BC Canada

you don't really believe everything you think, do you?

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #106 on: June 23, 2012, 10:40:33 AM
Any music with good full range and dynamic range is good for breakin.  I try not to thrash them early on, but honestly, I don't actively set out to "break in" the Orcas before I listen to them critically.  I have the luxury of knowledge of what their final character is and so I can enjoy the process of getting there.  Its like the way that a road trip seems shorter on the way back, because you already know what your destination looks like.

Mr. Teramoto called the sound of a brand new set of Feastrex drivers "the crying of a baby."  I feel that it is a really apt analogy.  Feeling like a proud new father of the Orcas every time that I fire a new set up, I couldn't imagine cringing at the sound of my own baby's cry.  

With the Orcas (and for most speakers), generally, its good to start them out a little soft for the first 10-20 minutes, gradually upping the volume over the first few hours until you are at a normal listening level.  The Orcas' enclosures, driver to cabinet front tuning and etc. are designed with their final, broken in Fs and dynamic behavior in mind.  They still do not need stuffing or damping, filtration, eq, or BSC to sound right.  This aspect of their not needing any handicaps took quite a while to design.  Once the final breakin character is reached, the benefits of their "lack of handicaps" are impossible to ignore.

However, the fact that their tuning keeps in mind their eventual sound does make them sound rather "small" and a little funny, slightly pinched (but not shouty) for the first several hours.  Stretch their legs and patiently wait for them to open up, and they will keep stretching your mind to keep up with their calm, surprisingly large, yet fast sound.  

The FE83En is a very stout driver, easy to listen to, however you can be rough on them if you need to, even bottom the cone out against the magnet occasionally (within reason).  I've still yet to fry a pair.

With the Orcas, you are getting more than just a good driver or a good box - you are getting an entire speaker that works together as a cohesive design.  The kinks have long since been weeded out, and even as much as we strongly believe in the kind of performance that the Orcas offer, we still offer a return policy that we actually honor.  No matter how nice a sound is, no speakers' sound is for everybody, so our mission is to give everybody the chance to patiently break them in and try them out with open lines of direct communication with us along the way on how to optimize their Orca setups to their rooms and associated equipment.

Joel - Nice wax job, man!  It makes me proud that you've treated them like a Sunday hot rod!  I can try wax, but on a few conditions - no petroleum distillates (tolulene).  Its probably cool for you a finish with volitile organic compounds (VOCs) occationally, but I just can't afford to get exposed to it every day.  Late in life, Terry Cain urged me to stay away from any toxics as he thought them to be the root of his Lou Gherigs disease - spending 30+ years applying off the shelf finish products with petroleum distilates, even with adequate ventillation.  The problem is, they accumulate in your body over time without your knowledge and probably never leave until they've already done too much damage to the central nervous system (or whatever your genetic "weak spot" may be).

Also, the application has got to be easy breezy.  There are so many hours that get put into the Orcas already, it would be impossible for us to not raise the price substantially
for a "looks only" option.  Generally, we consider ourselves to be a "sound only" company.  Even the differences between bamboo colors are for sonic reasons primarily http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/faq/bamboo/natural-vs-caramelized.html. We'd offer other kinds of bamboo like the stranded if they worked well sonically, but we feel that the Natural and caramelized are the best tradeoffs.  

The buffed linseed oil is the best finish - for the strength and the minimal weight on the wood - that we know of.  Also, it is pretty unique in the audio world for us to be able to offer a truly non toxic finish (and glue, and wood filler, and inner plywood glue).  You can touch them safely, even when brand new and enjoy the fragrance of the linseed oil/varnish instead of something like a "new car" smell that you get from most speakers when they are freshly unboxed.  Last spring there was a cancer patient who purchased our speakers for music therapy purposes for instance.  He purchased them in order to outperform his old pair of Micropure Kotaros (a $3500 pair of bookshelves designed and marketed before the recession began).  And outperform they did.

Ok, well, that's it for now.

Take your Orcas outdoors and enjoy the summer!
(We're making alotsa sawdust, many orders shipping soon!)

-Clark

P.S. - Pics -
- "The Chair"  Nearfield listening setup
- Chad W/new setup.  Note the new sub amplifier, Matching Bottlehead Stereomour chassis and new sub driver. This setup had REALLY nice dynamics.  This day in particular I was surprised at the Stereomour's power versus my Paramour setup.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:18:17 AM by Clark B. »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #107 on: June 23, 2012, 11:21:01 AM
I couldn't imagine cringing at the sound of my own baby's cry.  

Spoken like a guy who hasn't had kids yet...

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #108 on: June 23, 2012, 04:03:22 PM
I couldn't imagine cringing at the sound of my own baby's cry.  

Spoken like a guy who hasn't had kids yet...

Hahaha!!!  Too true!  The first cry is eureka.  That they cry for so long can be trying.

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #109 on: July 19, 2012, 12:57:55 PM
Hi all, a quick update that we've been unexpectedly swamped with orders and then saw a few delays over the last few weeks but the production has progressed well and is now marching on sprightly. 

The systems we are about to ship out over the coming two weeks are our very finest woodwork and sonic work yet.  Its been evident at every stage in the shop.  We are really excited for the way these systems will sound.

One quick note is that folks should please not remove the Orca driver.  Removing it and putting it back on by an untrained hand/ear is sure to disturb the delicate manner in which the driver frame is actually tuned/decoupled from the Orca cabinet.  The tolerances for this are quite literally down to a few human hairs.  This tuning is CRITICAL to the sound quality of the Orcas as a proper tuning allows us to use zero damping material inside the cabinet.  As mentioned before, the full benefits of zero damping become apparent after they've seen many hours of compassionate break in.  We'll be putting a note in each Orca shipping container to that effect to accompany all these newbies shipping out.

If your curiousity burns to see what is inside, just use a dental mirror through the port.  Or just ask and we are happy to share everything to satisfy your curiousity about our design process.  Also, if you have ever removed your driver and aren't sure how to get it back on, just call us and we'll walk you through how to get it back on the right way.

Cheers!

-Clark

Offline bainjs

Reply #110 on: July 20, 2012, 01:29:21 AM
Assuming they are wood screws, could you put some clear nail polish or varnish on the screw where it contacts the speaker frame to prevent movement?  Temperature changes will sometime loosen them.

30 hours play time and counting ...  Sound seems to be "opening" up some.

Joel

Joel Bain

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #111 on: July 30, 2012, 02:28:23 PM
Joel,

The screws are actually held under persistent tension by the associated mounting hardware for the drivers - the mechanical equivalent of a lock washer - Also, I've been using a drill bit that gives a very tight fit for the screw shaft/threads in its hole, so they are rather hard to turn.  After many, many years all wood dries out and so does the screw threads loosen their grip a bit, but this should take quite some time.  Also, the screws can be tightened back again by the end user with our personal instruction.

Indeed, the sound should just be beginning to open up a bit after 30 hours, Joel.  Try playing them a little louder to get the driver moving around a bit.  The bass will come in a good bit, then the final change is in the midrange gaining an immense amount of transient response.  This gives the sense of proper "space" and even "slam"  (I know, hard to believe from a 3"er but it is there!) in the presentation of music.  

We've got a ton of orders shipping out this week and some really cool projects that are just getting finished up.  

After many months of what seems like 8 day weeks, we've been fully settled into our new shop for a month(no benches or major tools, extension cords, or vacuum hoses have moved in a month!  Woohoo!)  This took an a bunch of unnecessary motions and inefficiencies out of our production.  Getting things done quicker, brighter, and happier than expected these days.  Hoping to have shrunk our wait time down to just 1-3 weeks by the middle of August - which is a HUGE and exciting step for us (wish us luck, its a TON of work!).  Right now though, these next few weeks is a strong push to the finish line for this new initiative of the quicker turn around time on Made-To-Order Blumensteins.  

Also, the sound quality of the Orcas, Stands, and Subs has really taken a step forward these last several months.  Such satisfying breakthroughs.

Cheers to all,  Keep enjoying your musical lives,

Clark
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:31:42 PM by Clark B. »

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #112 on: July 30, 2012, 05:11:58 PM
Clark and Molly combined a trip to her Aunt's home in Eugene, a delivery/set up session for my new Orcas/BUF Subs system and ongoing selections of my pottery for their table.

We got things playing happily by 8pm, settled down to a meal of Dutch Babies, and then they stayed overnight instead of hitting the road.

It was good to have the extra time to be sure they had time for picking the pottery, and then they were back on the road to Seattle and work work work!

I will report on the sound as they settle in to their new home and electronics(all Bottlehead Custom, of course!)

I did listen to Klaus Tennstedt's EMI recording of Mahler's Ninth..... Remarkable 'urgently alive' quality.

Cheers, Hank

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #113 on: July 31, 2012, 11:11:06 AM
Aw, thanks, Hank! 

We had such a good time visiting, and your hospitality was an elixer to our spirits. 

Yeah, your system was sounding really nice for such young drivers.  As the subs break in, you'll notice yourself adjusting the gain on your sub amp a bit down once the subs fully "wake up."  And also, I might suggest the fun experiment to make use of the solid state active cross you had on hand and bi-amping them with the Dynaco ST 70 you had (might be really cool!), or to just get a pair of our own sub amp boxes with the 12 DB/oct. crossover eventually.  The 18 DB/oct on your Dayton APA150 sounded a twitch steep, but nonetheless good overall.  Definitely sufficient for the first good while of breaking your system in. 

Besides the crossover steepness being a factor, I've also found that the best bass integration can come from the full range speaker wire level input being used on sub amps - which assures that the bass character and "phaseyness" unique to each power triode that is used on the Orcas does also come through the sub drivers by extension.  This has seemed to give the best blend in our experience, however all that experience mentioned, your frankly stunning Paul Birkland built amplifier system was making VERY well integrated bass by virtue of the total component and amplifier quality alone.  The Nearfield was so holographic!

Really honored to be a part of your system considering all this and also especially considering your musical tastes.

Cheers,

Clark

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #114 on: July 31, 2012, 02:42:48 PM
It seems like EVERYONE is into Fostex these days! I kind of saw it as a 'fadish' kind of thing. I'm still listening to my Magnepans and I'm starting to feel like a looser! I can see going to a cone for bass and low mids, but I dont know! Cone tweeter? I'm still not convinced. My tweeter ribbon is almost five ft. long. No stress or strain. I'm trying, I really am, although I really dont want to be building a speaker project right now. At least that's what I keep telling myself. I will have to admit, that I sometimes fantasize about building a box speaker with ribbon tweets, mids.   

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #115 on: August 01, 2012, 12:53:52 AM
Hmmm, Magnepans to Blumensteins, kind of like me going from a Krell KST 250S to Paramours (in two steps). 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:55:14 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline RickS

Reply #116 on: August 01, 2012, 06:06:31 AM
This is exactly the path I

Foreplay III, Stereomour w/ JJ 2A3-40 and Psvane 12AT7 tubes
Blumenstein Orca FE83-SOL speakers / sub
BH power cables & interconnects
HP Stream 11 running WTFPLAY, Supra USB to Teac UD-301 DSD DAC
Rega Planar 2, AT95SH RigB9 cartridge, GT subplatter, 24V motor, SRM-Tech Silent Base
Seduction w/ C4S

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #117 on: August 01, 2012, 06:16:43 AM
Local folks might want to come by Bottleheadquarters Saturday evening. From 7-9 Clark will be demonstrating something non-Fostex - a pair of speakers using the very exotic Line Magnetics 755-EX full range field coil drivers. We'll be driving them with Paramount amps, our 300B preamp prototype and Tape Project tapes. This promises to be a pretty special opportunity, as these drivers are rather rare.

By the way, the festivities start around 2 on Saturday with a Head Fi meet. Come early, hear lots of different headphone rigs, grab a beer next door at 6 and come back at 7 for the speaker demo!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #118 on: August 01, 2012, 09:15:28 AM
Rick,

I hear you and am doing much the same thing, plus taking money and complexity out of my digital rig and putting it into my analog side.

We hoped to be mostly moved in about two weeks or so now, and then shortly after the whole system will start to come together in it's new form -- Nagas, Orcas, subs and BH amplification all playing happily together (in two systems, that is.)

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #119 on: August 01, 2012, 02:50:59 PM
Hey Jim; You are going to have a wonderful time setting up your new speakers. Clark & Molly were here over the weekend and he set mine up in about two hours, juggling X-over points from the Orca to the Subs, levels to same, and eliminating smearing boundary effects. They are breaking in nicely, and in a hundred or so hours will be playing their best. So far, the Waterlily Acoustics recordings seem especially 'real' on them.

Good Luck with yours!  Hank