Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 237919

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #75 on: May 10, 2012, 03:45:31 AM
Hi Sean,

I think most would opt to use the 2a3 -- that is what I'm doing with mine (stereomour still under construction), but in a small space the 45 could work too as it has approxcimately the same output power as the s.e.x. amp -- though that isn't all there is to take under consideration).

I've got a new 3 watt single ended el84 amp arriving on Friday and you can bet that that will get connected to my Orcas with dual subs very shortly after it arrives.

As for the speakers, bamboo does look nice )at least I'm pretty partial to it), but in the Orca, it plays a far more significant role than just appearance and I assure you that a veneered MDF Orca could never sound anything like a bamboo ply one.  The material of the cabinet, as well as paints, coatings, and veneers can all effect sound pretty significantly.  Even people who have heard the older, baltic birch ply version of the Orca and the bamboo version say the bamboo is a real step up.  Of course, if you've followed this thread, Clark has made some changes to his original design or the Orca and now uses a different finishing product and I got the first of these new models with the new finish, and I have to say that they sound simply amazing regardless of their size.  Again, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Evrybody I've recommended them to now who has gone ahead and bought a pair is amazed and elated with their performance, and none of these folks has anywhere near full break-in time on them.  Being a veteran of breaking in many, many fostex drivers I can also say that it is no exaggeration that something very special happens after 400 hours of break-in time and when you get there you will absolutely know it.

Good luck,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline debk

Reply #76 on: May 10, 2012, 10:11:45 AM
I am seriously considering ordering a pair of these soon.

Has anyone one heard a difference between the two finishes?  I read that the caramelized bamboo is harder than the natural, and can have an impact on sound.

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #77 on: May 10, 2012, 11:43:54 AM
Deborah,

Yes, that is true that the caramelized is a bit harder than the natural but I can't yet tell you how significant the sonic difference is, but the natural is a bi8t warmer and may have a bit more depth of tone and the caramelized a bit more dynamic and neutral -- but we're not tlaking huge differences here.

My Nagas are natural and my orcas caramelized but the Nagas have much more time on them and are in a completely different system and a treated room, so it is not a good comparison.  My new Orcas that are coming will be Natural and after I get enough time on both sets of Orcas it will be easy to compare them, though in all honesty I expect the differences to be pretty subtle.

I think most people are simply choosing the look they like more than anything as the room and front end gear are likely to have a much greater influence on the sound.

HTH,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #78 on: May 10, 2012, 03:02:29 PM
Grainger, So glad you chimed in with the Maxell man reference!  That's one of my favorite pieces of HiFi art.  Particularly impressionable to me when I was a little kid making beastie boys and Jane's Addiction mix tapes (sure shows my age, I know!)

If you need some added HF reinforcement then we could work a method to get them taller, but still mass loaded effectively as the stands do.  We could either angle them a few degrees upwards for you (easy)  Or, for some extra money to cover the bamboo, we could make them physically taller.  

One note is that to toe them in pointed directly at your ears will get you the flattest, strongest HF presence in the mix.  They kindof work like a stationary set of headphones in that case.  I totally understand your listening requirements btw, everyone has their own set of ears to please to be sure.  I actually got into HiFi originally (more than the quoted ten years ago) because of my interest and study of the mechanisms behind hearing loss after a brush with a month of solid tinitus after a rock concert when I was young.  It went away, and I "never did THAT again..." but the concern over maintaining my hearing put it in my mind that I should start thinking about how I might help peoples' health with my engineering tendencies.  And it turns out that a more "pleasant" set of overtones will cause less hearing loss than a more "ragged" sounding set, given the same volume level (I wish I remember where I found that article...).  But in either case, it made me realize that I needed to start listening to higher fidelity equipment, because of all the music listening I was doing at the time.

And yes I really have to echo, Jim's comments that everything really does matter.  Molly has been putting together an article about our approach to construction on the new website that should paint a much clearer picture of why it is that we build small speakers that you wouldn't know are small unless you opened your eyes to look at them.  

I actually wore my TJ 45 tubes out during the development phase of the Orca and Jim is being really kind to be sending me some NOS ones to try out as well.  Also, I'll be picking up a set of EL 45s to mess around with pretty soon here because they were also Terry Cain's reference tubes in his Electronluv monoblocks.  And man, did those things sound good!

So suffice it to say that the 45 does work with the Orca, its just that I haven't heard them recently.  Also, in time we'll be picking up a set of JJ 2A3s which are supposed to be very fine sounding as well.  

And Sean, indeed, the Orca was designed as a crossover product in so many ways - they are well made and fun to listen to so they can serve as excellent "mean-time" speakers until a big project is finished up... but they also might find themselves assured living room residency in either case.  

My stereo system before I met Molly was actually the PA system I was putting together last year before it sent off to our client, who at the time was the CEO and founder of Etsy.com.  I was serious with this project.  It took a year to conceive, build and fully tune, and I even rented a space in the industrial district that I could live in and test with loud music legally 24/7!  To give you an idea, there were many hours spent adjusting and designing it while I was wearing hearing protection :)   But funny enough though, besides an RTA, I was actually using a set of Orcas and subs as my reference speakers to tune this PA system's fully programmable phase, eq, and crossover slopes.  It was really cool to be able to get the two totally different systems sounding so similar to each other, just that the big one got louder.  So much louder...

But oh right!  Back to my wife...  When Molly and I married it was clear that, while she loved the sound of the PA system I was building she was not quite willing to take the leap to live in the industrial district of south downtown, Seattle with me so that another one could be built and tested.  So we moved into her place in Belltown and brought the Orcas with us.  Several larger speakers were given a shot as well.  I should preface this by saying that Molly is a VERY patient and understanding woman, so she was even open to the idea of a pair of Thrashers with my FE166ES-R drivers in them (which sounded great, but didn't quite allow us to walk all the way around the room without loosing the high frequencies or be able to understand the lyrics while listening at background volume levels.  But after a while, as more evenings were being spent with our eyes actually closed, sitting back and enjoying the music, she (and I) had to admit that we came to prefer the sound of the Orcas with or without the Sub to whatever else I was able to cook up.  They just sounded better, so we kept them.

But back to the Maxell Man, gosh am I looking forward to being able to being "blown away" by 45 tubes again soon!  

Cheers,

Clark

Offline debk

Reply #79 on: May 10, 2012, 11:15:26 PM
I just ordered a pair with stands in caramelized. Looking forward to listening to them  Will try it first with my existing sub, may end up getting the sub in the future

Thanks
Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #80 on: May 11, 2012, 05:24:25 AM
Debra,

Congrats -- excellent choice.

If I may offer a suggestion, listen to them for a good while without any sub so you can really appreciate all they can do on their own.

Shortly after getting mine setup and sitting on the subs, a buddy stopped in and stopped in his tracks and said "wow, those sound amazing".  They were fairly new at the time and the subs weren't even connected so I told him to take a look behind and notice that all the sound he was hearing was coming from the two tiny boxes on the top, to which he replied, "That's *really* amazing!"

BTW, this guy has my old, very modified Horn Shoppe Horns and Cube sub, a Musical Paradise SE 6v6 amp and a Wavelength Proton dac, so he's used to some pretty decent sound.

-- Jim

Offline GlenW

Reply #81 on: May 11, 2012, 05:27:47 AM
Yes Deb, Congrats.  Please give us a "review" a week or two after you get them setup.  ENJOY...  :)

Offline GlenW

Reply #82 on: May 11, 2012, 10:27:37 AM
Jim,

when do you expect to get your "natural" Orcas (and stands I believe)?

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #83 on: May 11, 2012, 10:54:25 AM
Glen,

I don't know -- whenever Clark finishes and ships them I guess :-).

Seriously, I'm recovering from pneumonia and have plenty on my plate at the moment, so I'm sure they'll arrive after the current batch ships.  I know Clark and Molly are really busy getting these things built and shipped and I just keep forgetting to ask him where my new set stands in the queue.

-- Jim

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #84 on: May 11, 2012, 11:02:26 AM
Yeah, Clark and Molly are in the same boat as Eileen and I, pedaling as fast as possible. We touch base pretty regularly, and we keep putting off getting together 'cause we have too much catching up on orders to do.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #85 on: May 11, 2012, 11:14:25 AM
But back to the Maxell Man, gosh am I looking forward to being able to being "blown away" by 45 tubes again soon!

Clark; At one of the early VSAC soir

Offline debk

Reply #86 on: May 11, 2012, 12:17:41 PM
I have been talking with Clark by email, and decided to add an Orca sub also.  I am very impressed by his service and the speed he responds.

It is such a pleasure to find companies like Bottlehead and Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Thanks

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #87 on: May 12, 2012, 07:54:27 AM
Debra,

Another good move! :-)

Ok, to everybody, I got an email from a friend who is not a bottlehead and not on this forum, but who asked me about the Orcas sometime back afterwhich he subsequently bought a pair.

Last night I got an email from him that went something like this:

"Jim,

My Orcas are getting better every week now... I think these are my speakers for life!"

Just had to pass that along. (and BTW, he's using a 3 watt SE (non-dht) amp and no subs yet.

-- Jim

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #88 on: June 14, 2012, 01:20:42 PM
Hi all!

A quick update: we had to slow down a few orders to get everyone who's currently on the order board - on board with this initiative:

We've updated the Orca Sub Design to use a paper cone woofer.  The old BUF Sub was very, very good, but we felt that it needed something else... a "je ne sais quoi." after many evenings philosophizing and measuring, we decided that it needed to possess the ability to really absolutely thunder in order to keep up with the newer Orca design.  So - we gave it that ability, while simultaneously enhancing its integration with the Orcas' upper bass characteristics and a few other things.  Oh - and a few more hertz extension on the bottom end.

We're really excited about this update ourselves and we've finally gotten them back in production again last week, shipping out the first batch as soon as tomorrow and then into next week.  We don't have photos of the new sub on the website as of yet.  Will have some as soon as the dust settles.  

We also updated our website and business name:

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/

This was primarily a project of Molly's that took her quite some time to complete because she slowly and surely felt out every option and to really meditated and collaborated with Josh and Andrew and I to try to convey the feeling of the speakers themselves - albiet in a virtual sense.  She did not even know HTML before a few months ago.  She was still working in Elliot Bay Book Co where she'd been at for many years.  All I can say is that she's definitely keeping her new job :)  But I've got to get to training her in the shop for a good stretch first here...Lots of sawdust to make!

Cheers!

-Clark and Molly
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:36:42 PM by Clark B. »

Offline debk

Reply #89 on: June 14, 2012, 04:16:27 PM
This is good to hear.  Looking forward to getting the Orca's and sub in my system

Thanks

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers