One approach to selecting and Configuring a Mac Mini as a music server

Jim R. · 23266

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Ok Folks, here we go... my attempt at a series of posts on how to choose and configure a  

Mac Mini for use as a music server.

First, a bit about my basic philosophy as it regards music, audio, and just about everything

else: I like to keep things as simple as possible but not overly simple, and I have fairly

high standards as far as playback quality is conncerned, so take this for what it's worth --

yours may be higher, lower, or just plain different, which is fine and to be expected, so

not necessarily all of the things I suggest are going to work universally and I simply

cannot guarantee that you will hear the same things or perceive the same amount of change

that I do or did when I made these choices.  I also don't have any hands-on experience

beyond the mid 2010 mac mini, but I have two of those (1 mostly stock and the other taken

pretty close to the extreme).  On the other hand I will pass along the anecdotal experiences

of others I know and whose ears I trust when it comes to some alternative considerations of

methods, devices, platforms, etc.  This field is changing very rapidly in some ways and in  

others, not as quickly, so there is always bound to be new information, software and

discoveries around the corner.  The one great thing about using a computer is that often

changes can be made incrementally and often with software, so you should be able to stay on

or close to the leading edge as you wish.

Ok, so why the Mac Mini, and specifically why the mid 2010 and 2011 unibody aluminum Mac

Minis and not MacBook/MacBook Pros, iMacs, MacBook Airs, etc. (or windows based computers

for that matter)?  In short, I don't know, and I'm not sure anybody else really does either,

but it has something to do with power consumption, perhaps the RFI shielding of the body,

the layout of the motherboard, the parts chosen, the power supply, the operating system,

etc. but most likely some sort of confluence of all these things and more.  What has become

apparent with all of this is that the more you turn off in terms of hardware, reduce in

terms of processing, and simplify, the better it sounds.  In general I'm also speaking about

running the mini as a dedicated music server and generally headless (no keyboard, mouse, or

display).  Notebooks tend to have a lot of stuff crammed into an even smaller space, have

high voltage dc-to-dc converters on board to supply the voltage needed for displays, and are

generally built for ultimate compactness, not lowest noise.  Likewise with desktops and

iMacs, etc. -- there's no way to really get too far from the display noise and power

supplies, etc.  Of course a lot of this is really just logical speculation, but the results

keep coming back that the Minis just work best for audio, and that's the best answer I can

give to all of this.

So then, why the mid 2010 and 2011 Minis?  The earlier Minis had external power brick power

supplies, which those of used to power supplies in audio things, generally think of as

better -- having the supply away from the active circuitry.  I again have to say that nobody

is really sure why the newer minis with the onboard switching power supplies are quieter and

better audio performers than the externally powered ones, but any number of friends who have

made the change to the newer models from the older ones say this is undeniably true -- I

don't know this from personal experience.  As for me, I'm all for it -- less boxes, less

clutter, fewer cables, etc. all works for me, and if it sounds better, all the better.  Of

course it could all be that it's a matter of better board design, better internal

components, lower overall power consumption, the aluminum unibody, etc. -- again, not going

to guess, just going to be blissfully ignorant and content with the better sound.  BTW, if

your 2008 or 2009 mini sounds fine to you, then so be it -- I am not telling you to run out

and ditch it for a new one, but just about everybody I know who has done that has found

improvement, and often very significant.

Of course the mid-2010s are out of production, but you can still find them used -- even

sometimes from Apple in their refurbished products listings -- and these can be a great

deal.  The 2011 is interesting in that even in stock form the people who have tried it after

stepping up from the 2010 find it's performance to be slightly better in terms of noise and

ultimate musicality (though some of these differences may diminish as you go further down

the upgrade path).  So, perhaps the power supply is different or better, of course there is

no CD drive anymore, and Lion is the operating system (some people have been able to install

Snow Leopard on the 2011, but that is way beyond my current expertise and may only be worth

it in some circumstances.)  The 2011 also has a much better TOSLink port with much lower

jitter specs than all other macs, currently or previously, so if you plan to use the mini to

feed an optically connected dac, this may be a good reason to choose the 2011.  It is still

speced at 24/96 max, but at this time I believe that to be either a software limitation or a

hardware limitation on the motherboard, but not the transmitter chip.  I have confirmed that

this new generation of TOSLink transmitter and receiver chips from Toshiba can indeed handle

24/192 -- this from Jason Stoddard at Schiit Audio.  The trick is to get a source capable of

24/192, which are out there, but few and far between at this point.  TOSLink has been an

evolving standard and if anybody remembers way back when it came out, it was good for 16bits

at 32 khz and intended mostly for dubbing CDs onto MiniDiscs and other low-end consumer

purposes.

The main disadvantage to Lion is that it does not support integer mode data transfer to a

dac -- it simply is not in the operating system to do so, and perhaps Apple feels that the

new 64-bit internal structure of Core audio make this unnecessary, but as I don't have any

real world experience with it, I can't comment one way or another.  Some people have found

this to be a limitation, others have not, and I don't know if this breaks down easily along

lines of whether the dacs used are ones that can take advantage of integer mode or not.  

Basically (and I'm speaking of PureMusic as the playback software here, as that is what I

use and know best) integer mode bypasses core audio support, disables dithered volume

control, EQ plug-ins, etc. and is the cleanest path from memory to dac and taking exclusive

control of the specific usb port (there are other ways to do this last bit too.)  It does

provide for what I consider to be a significant leap in playback quality, even though I

don't use EQ and dithered volume control normally.  Mathematically it's a much faster, less

processor intensive way to get the bits to your dac without the computer being able to

interfere.

Amarra supposedly bypasses core audio to begin with (as best I can tell from their published

literature), but they still maintin a double precision floating point internal data format,

which in turn leads to more processing overhead -- whether this makes any real perceivable

difference in playback quality, I can't say as I've not done the A/B tests (though I will do

so at some point, I'm sure.)  Anyway, all of this is discussion on floating point vs integer

formats, core audio, etc. is all to the best of my current understanding and as has been

mostly confirmed by some of the people who write this software, but I make no cclaims as to

it's ultimate technical correctness -- I'm just not there in my deeper understanding of the

Mac and it's operating system.  The proof is in the listening.

So, that's enough for now -- in summary, keep things simple as possible, choose the 2010

withSnow Leopard if you wish, the 2011 if you want to run optical to your dac, either should

do nicely, and get as much memory as possible (more on that in the next installment.)

Coming next: memory, hard drives (internal and external) playback software choices and basic

OS tweaks.

Hope this helps some folks,

Jim

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:09:33 AM by jrebman »

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:31:59 PM
This is great Jim! Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I look forward to the upcoming installments. One thing I didn

Offline GLF

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:35:27 PM
Thank you very much for the great write up. I am greatly looking forward to the next set of articles.

Andrew

Andrew Krafthefer

Offline AudioDave

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:54:06 PM
Excellent Jim!  This is exactly what I need to set up my future mac mini system.  I am anxiously awaiting your followup posts!  Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Dave

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:41:04 PM
Nice work, Jim.  I can confirm that the Mac Mini sounds better than the Macbook Pro with all else the same.  And not by a small margin.  It was a big step up to switch from a Late 2008 MBP to a Late 2009 MM using Decibel via USB. 

I switched my MBP to Lion and found I preferred iTunes with Lion over Snow Leopard, by the way.  I run SL on my MM, however.

Looking forward to your additional thoughts...

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline BNAL

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:22:00 PM
Jim,

I can't wait for your next installment. I have been using a modified squeezebox and want to make the leap to a dedicated music PC, so this is great. Thanks again.

Brad

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline John Roman

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:48:12 AM
Hello Jim,
Seems a rather large undertaking but appreciated very much. I too am looking forward to further installments. I've been reading TAS regarding player software and JRMC seems to garner a lot of praise. I'm not familiar with Pure Music but will take a look see. Thanks again!
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Yoder

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 01:11:42 PM
The main disadvantage to Lion is that it does not support integer mode data transfer to a dac -- it simply is not in the operating system to do so, and perhaps Apple feels that the new 64-bit internal structure of Core audio make this unnecessary, but as I don't have any real world experience with it, I can't comment one way or another.  Some people have found this to be a limitation, others have not, and I don't know if this breaks down easily along lines of whether the dacs used are ones that can take advantage of integer mode or not. 

I have read this claim on a few forums and I am not sure what they are talking about, except Lion does not provide integer support for USB devices as some claim. As stated before, I prefer FW or TOSLINK. If you go into the Audio Midi Set-up, then you see that Apple provides 16-bit, 20-bit, and 24-bit audio playback in integer mode, but I have not checked it with a USB device hooked-up--only FW and, yea you guessed it, TOSLINK. The 32-bit option is in floating point, and then there is "Encoded Digital Audio." That being said, I am not clear as to why integer mode is preferred over floating, except for the USB interface capabilities. Floating point is far more accurate, and with the processing power of todays IC's then it should be no biggie if it is used. A value of 12.6567 is more accurate than 13 or the truncated 12 value, and would offer a more accurate representation.

Being stuck inside as a result of this god-forsaken weather--wind, snow, and bitter cold has left me with little to do. Not to steal any thunder, but here is a page I built on how to optimize both the hardware and software for a Mac mini audio server--I finally got my notes together and took the screenshots. http://www.co-bw.com/Audio_OSX_Optimal_Audio.htm

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:31:17 PM
Wow, another valuable resource, I like this...John 

John Scanlon

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 01:33:58 PM
Yoder,

Yes, I don't know why some have claimed that integer mode is present in Lion when it is not.  As for the rest, if you're just pulling 16 or 24 bit quantities of a hard drive, moving them to RAM and then clocking them out to the dac, untouched, then there is no need for the extra precision -- you're not doing any processing on them, and hence the advantage -- less processing overhead, less going on int he CPU, les power being consumed, less electrical noise on the buss and a very minimalist and deliberate path from storage to connection media.  As I said, this bypasses all EQ, dithered volume, etc. and leads to the cleanest path with absolute minimal processing overhead -- and for what really counts, it just sounds better.  Also, regardless of the connection medium -- USB, TOSLink, or firewire integger mode sounds cleaner -- it is not spedific to USB data transfers.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 01:53:18 PM
Folks,

TThanks for all the positive feedback.  I had planned on getting more up today but am coming down with the flu -- or at least I feel that way.

A coupple of things I should add -- the processor type and speed is of no real consequence here -- anything from the 1.x ghz intel core2 duo processors to the i3, i5 are all just fine, and it may even be somewhat of a sonic disadvantage to have too much -- though nobody has proven that yet to the best of my knowledge.

I personally would not buy upgraded memory from Apple -- it's super expensi ve as compared to vendors like OWC and Crucial  However, if you want to get a larger mechanical hard drive (for when you replace it with the SSD) you can repurpose it by gettiing a portable 2.5 HD firewire/usb enclosure and putting the old internal drive in it and using it for the external drive for music file sttorage.  I did this with my first mini -- I bought the mini with the 500 g drive, had an Intel 40gb SSD installed and then installed the 500g drive in an OWC portable enclosure with the Oxford 834 chipset.  If the sizes of drives availabble from Apple are not enough, just take what they offer, and you can repurpose that too for a drive to backup your SSD onto and then just get another external mechanical drive for music file storage.

So, that's what I intended to add to yesterday's post but forgot, so in theory anyway, you should be ready to get a mini ordered if you wish -- the rest of the pieces will come from places other than apple -- but don't forget to get some sort of keyboard and maybe the correct display adaptor to hook up to one of your existing displays  so you can do the configuration work.

As for some of the other questions -- yes, I will talk some about setting up headless operation, but in some sense that will depend on the playback software chosen -- but quickly there are two basic scenarios -- use a virtual remote keyboard/display program such as RealVNC, or on the other side, use the Apple iTTunes remote app on your iTouch, iPad, or iPhone -- but this only works with playback apps that dock with iTunes -- Amarra, PureMusic, and Audirvana (I believe.)

John Roman, looks like you're using a Windows laptop -- Pure Music is OSX only, and JRMC is Windows only, so unless you're planning on a mac sometime soon, you're not going to be able to use PM on a Windows machine.

And John "Inferno" -- thanks for your comments and verification of a couple key points.

Hopefully more tomorrow,

Jim

Offline Yoder

Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 02:16:34 PM
I understand the pulling of 24-bit data from a hard drive, but let's pretend that we are looking at an analog wave form that represents a piece of audio. Let's also pretend that the point on the wave is 3.4567 mV. If we convert this to an integer value then we will not getting a true representation of the sound. Conversely, if we can represent this value in a 24 or 32-bit word then we are getting a more accurate representation. Regarding the cleaner sound of integer mode, I really cannot say since floating point is only at the 32-bit level for me and since Amarra plays in native mode and most of my audio is Redbook. Also, I haven't seen any 32-bit audio out there and so it is a moot point.

Yea, if you buy anything from Apple then you will take it in the shorts. With the new mini's there is no Superdrive, and in place of it you have the opportunity to install a second drive. I go into a lot more detail on this on the page I posted previously http://www.co-bw.com/Audio_OSX_Optimal_Audio.htm I have read a lot of claims how only an Apple external drive will work with the new Lion mini's. Not true. I have used several different USB drives with my Lion mini and have never had any issues. But, if you try to boot from an external CD/DVD drive then you will experience a kernel panic. There is a way to boot the new mini's into Snow Leopard mode via an external hard drive. I will build a tutorial on that one of these days. Once you have that in place, then it is very easy to repartition the SSD boot-drive and go with a dual boot configuration. Honestly, that is where I am at but I am too lazy to add another partition and burn an image of my SL onto it. Hah, you'd think someone was asking me to walk to the top of Pikes Peak (14,111 ft.)

Looking into the future and taking Moore's law into consideration, then the computing power of audio playback devices will, and are, be the least of our concerns. My current mini has an i7 processor, and I guess Apple is looking at putting quads in all of their mini's and not just the server version with the next release. When the OS is stripped down and I watch the Activity Monitor, then very little of the mini's cpu resources are being used when I listen to 24-bit audio. The world of DAC's also seem to be ahead audio codecs, especially when you consider companies like ESS http://www.esstech.com/index.php?p=products_DAC with their 32-bit DAC's. It will be great when companies like Apple give each DAC channel a dedicated processor--it will probably happen someday. For now though, we just need the recording industry to get with it and start giving us hi-res audio.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 05:55:35 AM
For financial reasons I was originally thinking about buying my future Mini in phases. Get the Mini, disable unnecessary features as recommended by the group and upgrade to the SSD drive at a later date. I was planning on buying the Mini with the RAM already upgraded. Then I got to looking around and realized how easy and cheap it was to do this myself. With the $260 I will be saving on the RAM upgrade ($300 - $40 = $260) I can buy an SSD drive right away. And I'd have a few bucks left over to buy some music. I found a TRIM supported OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for $75 after rebate. Yeah, I know, I hate rebates too. Is this a decent SSD?

That would take care of most of my hardware needs but here comes the question. How do I get the OS imaged on to the SSD? I've done this many times before with Linux and Windows images. Since this is my first Mac based desktop I'm looking for a gentle nudge in the right direction. If this subject is discussed on other websites please provide a link(s) to get me started.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 07:21:37 AM
Ok, so one more attempt at trying to explain the advantage of integer mode and then I think it's time to move on.  The intent of this thread is as a how-to for folks who want a proven, reliable, superb sounding music server and for the most part, don't want to become computer tweakers and Mac tech gurus.  I intend to stick with only the things that myself and others have found to matter most in terms of sonic impact, so topics like installingg Snow Leopard on a 2011 machine is not what we're after here -- perhaps another thread for that kind of stuff, though with only a handful of people -- for the most part, pretty Mac tech savvy folks -- this is not generally a well known quantity and thus I can't regard it as a stable, proven solution yet.  My real advice for people who want to go to that level is to send their machines to the guys at Mach2 Music and let them do it and stand behind it for you.

Back to integer mode then...

I'm not sure why, if you're not doing any processing on the audio file that you need to introduce flooating point into the process.  If you do want to do things like mixing, normalizing, EQ, convolution filtering, compression/expansion and dithered volume control, then yes, it makes sense to go back to a floating point format.  What integer mode (as implemented by Pure Music, because that is the one I'm familiar with) is all about is keeping all the conversions and manipulations of floating point out of the playback chain.  What the dac wants to see and what is stored in the uncompressed audio file (.wav or .aiff) is a linear quantized integer representation of the waveform in n bits (where n is typically 16, 20, 24, or 32 in high end audio).  Integer mode bypasses core audio (which will first convert PCM data to floating point) so it can simply move these integer quantities from the storage medium into RAM, where, after the transmission protocol between the computer and dac has been established (asynchronous or adaptive/isosynchronous), and the port given exclusive use of the playback application, simply moves these integer values from memory to the dac -- again, taking the stored format, cacheing it to RAM and then clocking it out to the dac -- in the same format.  The bottom line here is again, less processing overhead, less possibility for further quantization errors when going back and forth, and thus noticably better audio quality.  This is true for usb, toslink and firewire -- the only natively supported communication protocols on the minis.

So once more, this thread is intended as a how-to, not for debating the merits of different playback software, advanced system configurations beyond those that have been proven to be robust and within the means of people who don't want to spend their time tweaking their computers and becoming Mac gurus, an who want to take advantage of the inherent excellent sound quality potential in the basic mac mini computer.

One note on digital audio sources -- just go to:

http://www.audiostream.com

Click on the music link and you will see some posts there on various places to get hi=-res as well as redbook downloads -- there is a ton of stuff out there and more coming all the time.  And yes, there are some 32-bit 352.8 and 384 khz audio files out there, but few and far between -- though I don't know anybody who has a system capable of 192 dB dynamic range -- on the other hand, I don't know many systems that can handle the 144 dB dynamic range of 24 bit audio either, but that's a separate rant for another time and place, but  suffice it to say, that beyond 18 bits or so, the only real quality improvements are coming from higher sampling rates, not bit depths... but again, beyond the scope of this thread.

-- Jim

d

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 07:33:35 AM
Tom,

Good move!  I'm totally blind and did the entier memory upgrade from removal of bottom plate to replacing it, in under 2 minutes, so anybody can do it.  There are guides on the Apple site on how to do it and it does not void your warranty either.

As for moving the OS image, I'd just suggest a complete new reinstall of the OS, and then you can customize it by leaving out all the unnecessary fonts, printer drivers, language translations and iLife and other apps that only take up space, increase boot time and can slow things down.  But you can also use programs like carbon copy cloner do move the existing image if you like.  Super duper also works well.

The OCZ drives are very well received though I know of nobody using that particular one -- the 60 gb is fine, but I think most folks use the vertex series as well as Crucial, Intel, and OWC Mercury Extreme.  I have an intel 40 gb drive in my one mini and will be shoppping for something for the second.

Caution: installing the SSD can be really tricky and there are videos and documents online that show the process, and if you're up to it, I say go for it, but after opening my mini and taking a look around inside, I personally decided that this was not something I wanted to try (though upgrading the memory and HD on my macbook pro was a piece of cake.  A number of folks I know have broken their internal wireless antenna off during the process, so just beware and be careful.  Again, if done right and the computer functions when you are done, this does not void the apple warranty.

Thanks,

Jim