The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

azrockitman · 9831

Offline azrockitman

on: August 01, 2013, 07:26:27 PM
man, love this album and I haven't listened to it for at least 15 years.  Fly on a windshield.  jee zuz

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline rif

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:56:02 AM
I like disc 1 a lot! In fact I use it whenever testing new changes to the system.
 Not too crazy with the second disc, however.

-david

Offline debk

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:06:23 PM
I love that album!
I used to listen to it all the time while doing surgery until my staff got tired of it and made me change it.

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 12:37:12 PM
That was the last Genesis album that Peter Gabriel did vocals on. And to many it was the beginning of the end for the classic progressive Genesis sound. That sound was on life support for the next two albums, A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering. Held together in my humble opinion by one of the most underrated guitar players of all time, Steve Hackett.

I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but here goes. The day that Phil Collins stepped out from behind the drum-kit and took over on vocals, Genesis started to die. Shortly after Hackett left the band the band took a strange turn from being a great prog rock band to a mediocre radio pop hit band. That's just one mans opinion. You know what they about opinions. ;)

Back to Steve Hackett for a minute. If you enjoyed the older prog rock Genesis stuff you owe it to yourself to check out the album Genesis Revisited II. It has a lot of great classic Genesis songs including Fly on a windshield and one of my favorites Supper's Ready weighing in at just under 24 minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_Revisited_II

Back in April I went on "Cruise To The Edge" and had the opportunity to meet Steve Hackett. We had breakfast actually. He said that people ask him all the time, "Why do you keep playing these old songs." His reply was that it took him 40 years to make them perfect. He was of course joking a little. But he did go on to say that when they recorded a lot of this material the process was very rushed. Steve always wanted more time in the studio to, "get it right." So that's what he did, 40 years later and the result is spectacular. Genesis Revisited II is the best of the best and it is a very nicely mastered recording.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:48:09 PM
   .  .  .   I used to listen to it all the time while doing surgery until my staff got tired of it and made me change it.

Deb

Deb is a cutter! 

Offline azrockitman

Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 01:45:13 PM
Natural Sound:  Great recommendation.  I had no idea about that album and I'll definitely take a listen.  The first time I heard LLDOB, I was over at a friends house after a day of classes, and we were, um relaxed, and when fly on a windshield started, and then progressed, well, dude, it blew. my. mind.   8)

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 02:58:19 PM
Great album! Agree with the above... Count me as another "old" Genesis groupie.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline debk

Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 03:55:15 PM
   .  .  .   I used to listen to it all the time while doing surgery until my staff got tired of it and made me change it.

Deb

Deb is a cutter! 

I am an eye surgeon, I don't think anyone ever called me a cutter!  :)
I'll have to check out Genesis Revisited II, thanks for the recommendation

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline decrink

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 10:07:05 PM
I was so pleased to read your astute review of things Genesis and Hackett too. I saw TLLDOB recreated by the tribute band "The Musical Box" and they were superb. For a real treat however, pick up the SACD 5.1 mix by Steve Wilson. Simply amazing.
That was the last Genesis album that Peter Gabriel did vocals on. And to many it was the beginning of the end for the classic progressive Genesis sound. That sound was on life support for the next two albums, A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering. Held together in my humble opinion by one of the most underrated guitar players of all time, Steve Hackett.

I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but here goes. The day that Phil Collins stepped out from behind the drum-kit and took over on vocals, Genesis started to die. Shortly after Hackett left the band the band took a strange turn from being a great prog rock band to a mediocre radio pop hit band. That's just one mans opinion. You know what they about opinions. ;)

Back to Steve Hackett for a minute. If you enjoyed the older prog rock Genesis stuff you owe it to yourself to check out the album Genesis Revisited II. It has a lot of great classic Genesis songs including Fly on a windshield and one of my favorites Supper's Ready weighing in at just under 24 minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_Revisited_II

Back in Apr il I went on "Cruise To The Edge" and had the opportunity to meet Steve Hackett. We had breakfast actually. He said that people ask him all the time, "Why do you keep playing these old songs." His reply was that it took him 40 years to make them perfect. He was of course joking a little. But he did go on to say that when they recorded a lot of this material the process was very rushed. Steve always wanted more time in the studio to, "get it right." So that's what he did, 40 years later and the result is spectacular. Genesis Revisited II is the best of the best and it is a very nicely mastered recording.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 11:01:50 AM
That's the first reference I've heard of Steve Wilson....is there a single location where you can see (and or purchase) SACD's that he's had a hand in?  I can only find sporadic links to a couple of the sacd's....and certainly not a new TLLDOB choice.

Thanks
Tim

Offline bainjs

Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 11:34:55 AM
I have to say I enjoy the 2nd disc, especially side 4 (The Lamia brings tears to my eyes!). I would recommend the british pressing if you can find it.  I've had mine since 1974 and it still sounds wonderful.

Here's a link to one of the last concerts of TLLDOB with Peter Gabriel.  The quality is very good and shows what a great concert can sound like.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/genesis/concerts/shrine-auditorium-january-24-1975.html

Joel Bain

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 04:58:53 PM
I darn near wore out my original LLDOB back in the late 70's. One of a handful of defining albums for me.  When I sort my collection by album, Steve Hackett always comes to the top.  Steve Wilson et al is close second.

The two Steves of prog.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 05:16:20 PM
I think I need to upgrade my computer speakers...John

John Scanlon

Offline bainjs

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 05:40:01 AM
Part way into the concert link I sent, there's a garbled spot of some sort, but then it straightens out.

Joel Bain

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:39:33 AM
I forgot mention that Steve Hackett has his material on line for download on his website. Including 24 bit high res.