Bam!

Doc B. · 19940

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #45 on: July 08, 2014, 09:56:55 AM
Another question: it seems headphone output isn't lowered at all (the resistors across the jack seems 0 ohm), isn't it a bit dangerous?

Ciao!

There are provisions for padding resistors in the manual (and we include them).  A 4 Watt amplifier isn't dangerous to power hungry planars or orthos.  If you'd like to run Grados with this amp, you will need to install the supplied padding resistors.  (But really, running hyper efficient, low impedance headphones on a 4 Watt per channel amplifier isn't the most sensible plan to begin with)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #46 on: July 08, 2014, 10:34:31 AM
Thank you and sorry for the dumb question, but I fried my beloved koss for not having buying from you  ;)

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline corndog71

Reply #47 on: July 08, 2014, 11:35:47 AM

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Cary

Reply #48 on: July 21, 2014, 03:10:05 PM
Any updates?

Offline ALL212

Reply #49 on: July 21, 2014, 04:47:07 PM
A pound and a half package coming from Redmond tells me these may be shipping!!

Aaron Luebke

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #50 on: July 21, 2014, 05:52:37 PM
The first handful are either shipped or are in a pre-shipping limbo. The limbo ones will be out the door tomorrow. Still have some parts to get in for the rest, not really sure about timing quite yet.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline cspirou

Reply #51 on: November 13, 2014, 05:34:16 AM
I like the idea of having a portable battery powered amp to use with a sensitive low maintenance speaker, like the Blumenstein Thrasher. Is there any particular reason why I wouldn't be able to integrate a volume pot with this?

Gaël Nguyen
Biophysicist and DIY audio enthusiast

My Setup so far; DIY Fostex fe83en speakers, Koss MV1 Studio Headphones, HIFIMAN re-400 and Topping TP21 amp.

Work in progress; gainclone and an Aleph 30 amp

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #52 on: November 14, 2014, 07:18:25 AM
The volume pot is doable, but most portable sources tend to already have a level control built in.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline irishpatrick33

Reply #53 on: December 03, 2014, 11:23:43 PM
This is so close to what I have been longing to build: a hybrid loudspeaker power amp that can run off batteries (even better if it could be remotely triggered)--the holy grail, I'd say.

I don't have the know-how or the bravery to mod the Quickie and Quicksand into my true desire (bypassing: headphones, source switching and volume controls).

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #54 on: December 04, 2014, 07:05:31 AM
I don't have the know-how or the bravery to mod the Quickie and Quicksand into my true desire (bypassing: headphones, source switching and volume controls).
The source selector on the Quickie is also the power switch.  To mod it to just be a power switch, you can reduce its switching positions from 3 positions to 2 before installing the switch.  To bypass the level control, you can move the wiring on the pot slightly once it's working to turn the pot into a pair of 100K resistors.

The headphone jack doesn't interrupt the speaker feed from the Quicksand, so there isn't a huge need to bypass it. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline tulz43

Reply #55 on: December 10, 2014, 05:40:12 AM
Can the quicksand handle a 6 ohm speaker?  I'd like to try my hand at diy and the quickstand seems like a good place to start. Right now I currently only have a pair of the pioneer sb22 speakers but plan on getting something from Blumenstein. I'm in a townhouse so volume isn't that important.  Maybe 75db max.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #56 on: December 10, 2014, 06:30:16 AM
Sure, 6 ohms is no problem.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tulz43

Reply #57 on: December 10, 2014, 06:41:25 AM
Thanks Doc. Is the quicksand a skill level 1?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #58 on: December 10, 2014, 08:15:12 AM
It's a nice clean, easy and compact layout. It does require soldering up a PC board. The TPA3122 chip is socketed, which makes the process of stuffing and soldering the components pretty easy.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline m17xr2b

Reply #59 on: January 08, 2015, 09:47:23 AM
Would the quickie work with an IEM using balanced armatures? I enjoy the quickie with and a matching set would be nice. In my case they are about 40ohm with 114db sensitivity. Main concern would be about the noise floor.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:59:03 AM by m17xr2b »