Tube Rolling w/Crack

Dr. Toobz · 750998

Offline Laudanum

Reply #180 on: December 19, 2011, 02:21:56 AM
Interesting. I have a 6N13S/6H13C tube in my Crack and my perception has been that electrically, it appears identical to the 6AS7 and 6080 tubes I have, but certainly different than the 5998. I know this because when experimenting, it acted the same way into a low-impedance load (Grados) as the 6AS7 family of tubes, whereas plugging in the 5998 led to a pronounced difference in bass and upper-midrange frequencies, presumably due to the higher gain (which leads to a lower output impedance in the cathode follower). The 6N13S seems to be a warmer and less sharp-sounding tube than the 5998. I'm not sure if this is due simply to the fact that it seems to act like a 6AS7 and yield a higher output impedance, which may interact differently with my headphones, or the fact that some have stated the tube has uneven curves, which may suggest higher levels of second harmonic distortion compared to the 5998 or even a "proper" 6AS7.

In any case, I think these are a good deal, as they can be had rather cheaply compared to even a good NOS 6AS7, let alone the WE 421a.

Not hearing either of the Russian tubes, I was comparing mainly the gain differences and, to a small degree, the description of the bass being apparently accentuated with the 6H5 compared to the 6H13.  However, if I recall properly, when discussing the differences in bass response related to lower output impedance of the 5998, Paul J mentioned  that the differences between the 6AS7 and 5998 were unlikely to do with the lower output impedance of the 5998 and rather due simply to the sonic difference between the tubes themselves.  THis discusssion should be a page or 2 or 3 back in this very thread.

Desmond G.

Offline langendorf

Reply #181 on: January 03, 2012, 12:46:26 PM
Hi

Do any of you have experience with upscaleaudio? As far as i can see, they are cheaper and maybe a more reliable souce for tubes, than ebay? And I thougt that i may buy 2 really good tubes first, instead of buying many random tubes. I can properly not hold back anyways, but i can try ;) I know tubes are a matter of taste. But some tubes a generaly regarded better than others. As far as i have written they should be top notch. And i am a bit unsure if it is necessary to pick the highest grade or if it is beneficial to do so. I would assume that it depends on the amp. But any input on sound and general info is most welcome :)

Mullard CV4003  $30 to $50 depending on grade

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Mullard-CV4003-%7B47%7D-12AU7-Vintage-New-Old-Stock.html

Mazda / Cifte 12AU7  $45 to $50

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/mazda-cifte-12au7/

And they can cryogenically treat them for 8$. That sounds cheap to.

Sennheiser HD-800 - Crack

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #182 on: January 03, 2012, 01:01:39 PM
I bought my CV4003 from them, and several years ago my PrimaLuna Prologue II.  Good service all around.

Bob Trancho

Offline mosshorn

Reply #183 on: January 03, 2012, 08:38:24 PM
Got my Telefunken 12AU7 in the other day. It seems to have tightened everything up over the Electro-Harmonix that came with my Crack. The bass response also seems a little bit punchier.

Have a Sylvania 6AS7G from the 40's on its way right now. Hopefully I'll enjoy it, and it will remove the buzz this 6080 gives :X

Offline Laudanum

Reply #184 on: January 04, 2012, 02:32:03 AM
Upsacle has been around a long time and had a very good reputation last time I checked, which was years ago.   I did buy a few tubes from them back then and all was fine.   That they are still around is probably a very positive sign. 

Desmond G.

Offline lextek

Reply #185 on: January 04, 2012, 02:34:42 AM
I've dealt with Upscale before and we will again.  Good company.

Bob Lasky

Offline jrihs

Reply #186 on: January 04, 2012, 05:28:03 PM
I'm a repeat offender at upscale. Will go back again! Try Brent Jesse as well...he knows his tubes and has a big selection...nothing cryo'd though.

John Rihs

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #187 on: January 04, 2012, 05:47:11 PM
Bought a few tubes from Upscale, good NOS selection, fast shipping. Picked up 2 CBS Hytron 5814a-BPs, per Ironbut's advice on pg. 1 of this thread. Sounds great in the Crack. I recently bought some tubes from TC tubes, really happy with this transaction.

Cheers,
Shawn P.

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Laudanum

Reply #188 on: January 05, 2012, 03:51:46 AM
I like Tube World as well but Im selective (read: cheap).   I like to browse through his used tubes, he has some pretty good prices at times on tested, good, used tubes.  Got a couple 5998's from him a few months back for about 30 bucks each when ebay search kept coming up empty.  That's my pet peeve on tubes I think.  I gotta have spares of tubes I like and I gotta have them quick.  Just seeing where prices have gone on some of the rare and not in high supply tubes over the past decade, it's probably not a bad pet peeve to have.  But it tends to overstock me to the point of having more than I will ever use in several lifetimes when it comes to the less expensive tubes.  Oh well.

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #189 on: January 05, 2012, 06:34:06 AM
I have used Upscale Audio and Tube World.  If you are looking for the right NOS tube for something special, Desmond/Laudanum hit the nail on the head, Tube World is great.

Offline jrihs

Reply #190 on: January 05, 2012, 09:51:43 AM
I always thought tube world was good as well (top dollar though). Shop around! Don't rule out ebay but know what the brick-and-mortar guys are charging before you start bidding. Also, I think Brent Jesse is a straight shooter despite an apparent smear campaign by some (or someone I think). I meant to post his link above...

http://www.audiotubes.com/

PS, guess I better order those tubes from Upscale (linked above) before they are all gone!

PSS. Audiogon is a great place to get used and NOS tubes...better than ebay

http://www.audiogon.com/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:06:35 AM by jrihs »

John Rihs

Offline Laudanum

Reply #191 on: January 05, 2012, 12:45:12 PM
I get most of my tubes from ebay.  Again, I find the deals and take the risk but have been ok on the vast majority.   I have bought from Brent Jesse before but he aint cheap either.  Tube World is top dollar on the highly sought stuff.  But he does have some good deals on some used tubes here and there.  I also got a couple old RCA OD3's from him for like 3 bucks each.  You can trust that he tests and how he tests used tubes moreso than most on ebay, that's for sure.  And he's great to deal with if there is a problem.

Desmond G.

Offline jrihs

Reply #192 on: January 05, 2012, 02:51:06 PM
I have to say I get most of mine (90%) on ebay as well. It's so very fun and highly addicting to hunt/discover new things, anticipate a good price and compete, and get packages from all over the world! And as you say, for the most part, I've had good luck as well. I'm so addicted that I buy way more than I should, and should be sent to tubes anonymous. I suspect all collectors go through this ebay addiction. But who can turn down an opportunity to get a smooth-plate telefunken NOS-NIB from Hamburg for $20! or a triple mica nickle plate Mazda from the south of France for little more than shipping x 2!

I've bought most of my audio gear on audiogon though...mostly because I cannot pay full price (or even half) for all these cables, tweeks and components.

John Rihs

Offline jrihs

Reply #193 on: January 05, 2012, 03:33:28 PM
Does anyone have experience with CV4003's made by the English Electric Valve Co. Chelmsford? They look like the Mullard version. Do they sound as good though?

Thanks!!!

John Rihs

Offline langendorf

Reply #194 on: January 05, 2012, 04:51:31 PM
Thank you all for the feedback.

I ordered the mullard and cifte tubes in platinum grade. But not with cryo threatment, i want to hear the original sound. May order some later to hear the difference

Know i just hope the crack will respond well to good tubes :)

Sennheiser HD-800 - Crack