Tube Rolling w/Crack

Dr. Toobz · 748369

Offline nick-seattle

Reply #405 on: June 07, 2012, 04:09:10 PM
Well... reporting back on the E80CC I have one from Tungsram. A fantastic tube - there were reports that it's better than short plate 7316 by Amperex and I have to agree. It's not better than the long plate version, but it's not worst - it's just very different. Compared to short plate version, it's a more capable tube - you can feel that it can carry music with such an incredible authority and ease. Very balance sound. Powerful bass, great amount of details, very good separation of instruments. All is there. If you like dynamic sound with huge transparency, try it out, it's definitely worth it.

However, I've been completely distracted by the other shipment that I got recently - Tesla E83CC the replica of Telefunkens ECC803S. When I put it into my Crack (I have a version that takes 12ax7) and started to play my jaw dropped. This was completely unbelievable - there is no talk about transparency, details, etc. The tube brings the music, the singer, the band right into your house! I later tried it in McIntosh and I couldn't believe that my amp and speakers could produce this kind of sound. I'm completely blown away. Now I must try other S versions. My poor budget.

Offline BNAL

Reply #406 on: June 07, 2012, 05:04:25 PM
I've found a very nice sounding combination for my Crack in e RCA 12au7 clear top and RCA 6AS7G black plate. I tried the clear top with other power tubes and was not as engaged. This is a clear bag for
the buck combination. Both tubes can be had for a reasonable price and provide a dinamic clean detailed sound.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline dwilli852

Reply #407 on: June 07, 2012, 05:45:55 PM
I agree with BNAL the clear top and black plate is a very good combination. One I keep going back too.

Has anyone ever seen a NOS Mullard made in America 6AS7G or this just a rebranded RCA tube? It's a bottom D getter.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:04:34 PM by dwilli852 »

David Williams

Offline Laudanum

Reply #408 on: June 08, 2012, 02:17:15 AM
I've got a bunch of the RCA Clear Top 12AU7's .  Not my favorites with Crack.  Not bad with the RCA or GE JAN labeled 6AS7 but definitely too much with the 5998.  Not my preference either way.  But I have one or two in use in the main systems.   But I find the Cleartops a little too hot up top in the heaphone system.  It could be the Beyerdynamics.  That said, I agree that they are nice tubes in the right system and a real good bang for the buck tube.  

Desmond G.

Offline nick-seattle

Reply #409 on: June 08, 2012, 10:16:37 PM
I've got a bunch of the RCA Clear Top 12AU7's .  Not my favorites with Crack.  Not bad with the RCA or GE JAN labeled 6AS7 but definitely too much with the 5998.  Not my preference either way.  But I have one or two in use in the main systems.   But I find the Cleartops a little too hot up top in the heaphone system.  It could be the Beyerdynamics.  That said, I agree that they are nice tubes in the right system and a real good bang for the buck tube.  

I agree. Clear Top compensates for early roll off in HF of RCA, so the combo is great, but with 5998, which already has great HF extension Cleat tops are just too much. 5998 asks for a much more balanced tube. The best combo that I found was with Amperes, either short or long plates. Mulllards are way too dark. ECC803S is phenomenal, but requires mods. E80CC or Raytheon 5814 Windmill is the middle ground and with 5998 provides incredible sound if you area looking for Dynamics. If you are into warmth, Westinghouse or RCA will give you that. If you are into feeling of presence- outside of Tele ECC803S (which cost like my first car) nothing compares to Mazda.

Offline dwilli852

Reply #410 on: June 09, 2012, 11:15:38 AM
I agree with BNAL the clear top and black plate is a very good combination. One I keep going back too.

Has anyone ever seen a NOS Mullard made in America 6AS7G or this just a rebranded RCA tube? It's a bottom D getter.

Got this tube today. It's a strange one but sounds great. The box has Mullard and BVA (British Valve Assocation) on the end with Mullard made in USA on the tube base. I can't find anything on USA made Mullards. I know the Mullard name has been sold a couple times to IEC and another US company who currently owns it.

It doesn't look like any RCA's I've seen, more like a Tung Sol 5998 with the bottom D getters or WE 421a. Guess it really doesn't matter as long as it sounds good. It's a little cleaner than the RCA Black Plates with a brighter top end.

David Williams

Offline Laudanum

Reply #411 on: June 10, 2012, 02:00:37 AM

Got this tube today. It's a strange one but sounds great. The box has Mullard and BVA (British Valve Assocation) on the end with Mullard made in USA on the tube base. I can't find anything on USA made Mullards. I know the Mullard name has been sold a couple times to IEC and another US company who currently owns it.

It doesn't look like any RCA's I've seen, more like a Tung Sol 5998 with the bottom D getters or WE 421a. Guess it really doesn't matter as long as it sounds good. It's a little cleaner than the RCA Black Plates with a brighter top end.

Can you post a pic?  I have a few 6AS7's I could compare with.   

Desmond G.

Offline dwilli852

Reply #412 on: June 10, 2012, 10:59:16 AM
I'll try and get some pics of the Mullard made in USA 6AS7G up. In the mean time got a couple of NOS Tung Sol 5814a's. The box has a packaged date of 04/57. Another good sounding tube. At a fraction of the price of the Mullards, Bugle Boys, Valvo, Siemens......

David Williams

Offline nick-seattle

Reply #413 on: June 10, 2012, 11:15:48 AM
I'll try and get some pics of the Mullard made in USA 6AS7G up. In the mean time got a couple of NOS Tung Sol 5814a's. The box has a packaged date of 04/57. Another good sounding tube. At a fraction of the price of the Mullards, Bugle Boys, Valvo, Siemens......

Tung-sol 5814 as well as 5751 are superb tubes and grossly undervalued. They have a superbly liquid sound!

Offline dwilli852

Reply #414 on: June 10, 2012, 05:57:53 PM
Here's a pic of the tube.

David Williams

Offline Laudanum

Reply #415 on: June 11, 2012, 02:35:20 AM

Looks like a GE ... maybe.  I'll dig my 6AS7's out and look but first thought was GE.  I think I have two, both smaller bottles than the RCA's.

I've linked an ebay listing with a photo of a GE.  Looks similiar from quick glance.  Is it a smaller bottle than your RCA 6AS7's, if you have any?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-6AS7-G-GENERAL-ELECTRIC-TUBE-N-O-S-TESTED-/221043253392?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3377346090

Desmond G.

Offline dwilli852

Reply #416 on: June 11, 2012, 07:58:22 AM

Looks like a GE ... maybe.  I'll dig my 6AS7's out and look but first thought was GE.  I think I have two, both smaller bottles than the RCA's.

I've linked an ebay listing with a photo of a GE.  Looks similiar from quick glance.  Is it a smaller bottle than your RCA 6AS7's, if you have any?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-6AS7-G-GENERAL-ELECTRIC-TUBE-N-O-S-TESTED-/221043253392?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3377346090

It's the same size as my RCA's. I compaired it to a Black Plate with a code date of 58-39.

It very well might be a GE tube. With all the rebranding and lack of information now days I might never know for sure.

It's still a fun hobby learning about the old tubes and searching for that great find.

Thanks for the help.

Here's a very close match
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:17:19 AM by dwilli852 »

David Williams

Offline Laudanum

Reply #417 on: June 11, 2012, 10:01:03 AM
Got one that looks just like it.  It is labeled GE but could be RCA manufactured.   Same size as my RCA labeled tubes except for one which has thin copper skirts/shield at the bottom and is a little bit taller.  Bottle looks a little wider as well but it may be an illusion.   Anyway, they all sound good and all have slight internal variations.  Havent spent enough time with them all to listen for differences that may make some signifigantly better than others.

Desmond G.

Offline nick-seattle

Reply #418 on: June 11, 2012, 08:32:15 PM
Hmm. I discovered in my collection something that I didn't know exists :) Tung-sol 12au7 with Black Glass & Black Plates. So I compered the gray plates version with black plates - both black glass. I honestly like black plates more, could be just psychological :) It has more body and warmer sounding, but details remained the same! Very cool tube.

Offline jrihs

Reply #419 on: June 12, 2012, 06:54:44 PM
Hmm. I discovered in my collection something that I didn't know exists :) Tung-sol 12au7 with Black Glass & Black Plates. So I compered the gray plates version with black plates - both black glass. I honestly like black plates more, could be just psychological :) It has more body and warmer sounding, but details remained the same! Very cool tube.

Ok, so I'm wondering how you know its a black plate if its black glass!  ???please post a pic!!  ;)
gotta see this!

John Rihs