Tube Rolling w/Crack

Dr. Toobz · 742620

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #690 on: January 10, 2014, 11:28:32 AM
Hey guys,

I am looking to replace my output tube as it appears to be producing humming sound in the background. I am currently running it with Modi from Schiit and HD700. I am wondering what is a good tube. I am looking for something that is warm, more prompt bass and less treble? Thanks!

Something like these perhaps a mix of 6as7g and 6080 keep any you like sell the rest

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-of-4-tubes-6AS7G-6AS7GA-6080WA-tested-/281240887187?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item417b435f93

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline dimitris

Reply #691 on: January 15, 2014, 08:51:13 PM
Hi guys,

Just joining the forum as I have bought a crack with speedball. I am really liking this amp but I am a complete noob when it comes to tubes. I was able to find a Tung-Sol 5998 for the output tube and I have been wondering whether I could use a few spare 6CG7 or 6922 in the input socket that I have left from my speaker amp.

Thanks!

Offline ffivaz

Reply #692 on: January 16, 2014, 02:03:43 AM
6922 and 6cg7 are not direct replacements of the 12au7 tube. I would not try them in the Crack.

The 5998 is an excellent tube, many people here rave about it.

Best wishes

Fabien Fivaz

Thorens TD 160, Denon DL-110, Hagerman Piccolo 2, Reduction (w/ Integration), 2A3 Stereomour, Fostex FE126En in Bk12m enclosures
Halide DAC HD, Crack (w/ Speedball), Sennheiser HD 650

Offline Grainger49

Reply #693 on: January 18, 2014, 04:56:16 AM
Look at the first post.  The drop in equivalent list has been gone over well and should be correct.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:55:40 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline NightFlight

Reply #694 on: January 24, 2014, 03:19:10 AM
Yeah, on the other end, there are the guys who buy poorly designed single ended amps from overseas, then expect replacing some capacitors to take the performance of such an amplifier well beyond what it could ever be. 

Throwing money at boutique parts won't fix a design issue, but a different design will.

True. But that wasn't what I was saying. I'm saying that well designed circuits are frequently subject to oversight. Obviously, I'm not saying BH products are subject to this.  What I have had pointed out to me is a lot of 'high-end' designs with simple mistakes with component selection and implementation.  By implementation I don't necessarily mean the overall circuit, I just mean simple things - like placement.  When those oversights are fixed a old piece of equipment can gain new life it would have never previously expected.

But yea, boutique parts as a solution on its own? No. That isn't going to work.  Also, 'Boutique' parts become such because of recognition. At one point they were all just good selections with a par cost.  I think the internet as exacerbated this. It's a growing problem...

Anyhow.. back to tubes.... :)

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #695 on: January 26, 2014, 11:50:24 AM
Can anybody shed some light on a "A2599" tube it was in with some 12au7 that I had for rolling its 9 pin and the same general size/shape as 12au7. Might it work in the Crack with out causing any damage?

TIA Jamie

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #696 on: January 26, 2014, 12:42:39 PM
It looks like an obscure single RF triode, though there's not much data available for it.

It would not work in the Crack.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline SNSDluv

Reply #697 on: January 28, 2014, 02:43:58 PM
Hi guys,

I am pairing my Crack+Speedball with HD700 (with Schiit Modi), I am looking for a power tube that is warm, provides good bass, recessed treble, good sound stage and detailed. People have suggested me Bendix 6080, Tung-Sol 6080WA, and Western Electric 421A.. well, the first two I cannot find anywhere, and the last one is wayyy out of my budget. I am looking for something that is under, say, $50, that will do the job. Any idea will help, thanks! :D

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #698 on: January 28, 2014, 09:56:04 PM
Thanks Paul

Hi guys,

I am pairing my Crack+Speedball with HD700 (with Schiit Modi), I am looking for a power tube that is warm, provides good bass, recessed treble, good sound stage and detailed. People have suggested me Bendix 6080, Tung-Sol 6080WA, and Western Electric 421A.. well, the first two I cannot find anywhere, and the last one is wayyy out of my budget. I am looking for something that is under, say, $50, that will do the job. Any idea will help, thanks! :D

Chatham 6AS7G sounds nice and should tick all your box's
Also 6AS7G from RCA or Sylvania the earlier 1950-60's ones.
The Mullard 6080 is also a nice sounding tube but harder to find.

It would also be worth considering the Tung-sol 5998 if you can stretch a little further these can be found nos from dealers for $75 and for $50-60 nos or as tested strong on ebay and would be are a great choice if you can stretch for the extra.

Good hunting

Offline SNSDluv

Reply #699 on: January 29, 2014, 04:32:33 AM
Thanks Paul

Hi guys,

Chatham 6AS7G sounds nice and should tick all your box's
Also 6AS7G from RCA or Sylvania the earlier 1950-60's ones.
The Mullard 6080 is also a nice sounding tube but harder to find.

It would also be worth considering the Tung-sol 5998 if you can stretch a little further these can be found nos from dealers for $75 and for $50-60 nos or as tested strong on ebay and would be are a great choice if you can stretch for the extra.

Good hunting

Mhm thanks for the response!
But I can't find the Tung-sol 5998 anywhere for that price... :(

Offline Kris

Reply #700 on: January 29, 2014, 05:57:02 AM
SNSDluv,

Looks like you didn't read thru the topic... C'mon, do your homework... It's only 46 pages.
Just kidding ;)
Tung-sol 5998 is quite rare tube now days, especially if you are looking for NOS, but you can find equivalent of that tube which is Chatham 2399. Just click the link: http://www.vacuumtubes.net/RES%20Audio%20pages/5998.html. $85+S&H.
Got one from them and IMO it will definitely meet your expectations.

Kris

P.S. to admin: I hope I didn't break the forum rules by pasting link to tube vendor's website. If I did, please feel free to delete the post.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:04:04 AM by Kris »

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #701 on: January 29, 2014, 06:19:27 AM

Good things come to those who wait!  Be patient and keep checking they do come up reasonably regularly.   I brought two NOS 5998's for $96 the pair delivered last month. The ebay seller must have listed at least 20 NOS 5998's over a week, they were going like hot cakes.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:21:48 AM by JamieMcC »

Offline STURMJ

Reply #702 on: January 29, 2014, 07:38:36 AM
I got some RCA 6AS7Gs and other tubes yesterday.  I wasn't home when the Fedex truck came, and it has been really cold here.  Does leaving them out in the Minnesota cold for several hours mean they are now cryo-ed? (just kidding)  The RCAs are very nice, but I also got some JJ ecc802s (copies of the telefunkin ecc802s) these too are fantastic.

Offline SNSDluv

Reply #703 on: January 29, 2014, 10:57:40 AM
SNSDluv,

Looks like you didn't read thru the topic... C'mon, do your homework... It's only 46 pages.
Just kidding ;)
Tung-sol 5998 is quite rare tube now days, especially if you are looking for NOS, but you can find equivalent of that tube which is Chatham 2399. Just click the link: http://www.vacuumtubes.net/RES%20Audio%20pages/5998.html. $85+S&H.
Got one from them and IMO it will definitely meet your expectations.

Kris

P.S. to admin: I hope I didn't break the forum rules by pasting link to tube vendor's website. If I did, please feel free to delete the post.

Haha, I am really really new to this tube rolling is reading the forum through are just more confusing... Especially with all the different getters, different position of the getters, different plates, different columns, different COLOR of the label, different... :( you get the idea.. :( $85 is quite high for me, any other suggestions that will fit my description?

Good things come to those who wait!  Be patient and keep checking they do come up reasonably regularly.   I brought two NOS 5998's for $96 the pair delivered last month. The ebay seller must have listed at least 20 NOS 5998's over a week, they were going like hot cakes.

Is it possible for you to send me some of the sites, besides eBay of course, that I should check regularly so that I can hunt them down? :P

Again, thanks for the help you guys! Really appreciated.

Offline SNSDluv

Reply #704 on: January 29, 2014, 06:27:32 PM
Also, I have a question about Tung-Sol 6080WA, is there is huge difference between Westinghouse branded and not? What about Chatham 6080WA?